Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

Default California's Restitution

Just so everyone knows how they are doing the restitution in California right now here is a breakdown of it. Yes, inmates being transferred from Orange County jails are being taxed their restitution as soon as they go in. I know alot of posters on here said they are not, well yes they are. I have his paperwork from the prison.

Last edited by ytakemyguy; 02-24-2007 at 10:33 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned

That must be new. They didn't when my husband went to reception in May 2004.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 AM
his one and only wife

they take restitution out of all money you send them while they are in reception...the only thing they don't take money out of is money that is already on their books. at least thats how it worked for my husband...
Old 02-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

My fiance told me that in Oct. 2006 when he got transfered from County to Recp. they did take thier cut out of his money. They did not tell him they took it until he went to store and he tried to spend what he thought he had only to find out that there was less there because they took some. I askeds him about it again yesterday and this is what he told me.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

Sorry, that is not true. He had almost 300.00 on his books when he went to reception and they just taxed it at 50% and then another 10% on top of the 50 so they are not taking out 55% the first time. They took $165.00 off his books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvly143
they take restitution out of all money you send them while they are in reception...the only thing they don't take money out of is money that is already on their books. at least thats how it worked for my husband...
Old 02-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

Shaaa, your man weas not lying. it is true. This is how my man found out when he put in a commissary slip and it was returned for insuffecient funds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaa
My fiance told me that in Oct. 2006 when he got transfered from County to Recp. they did take thier cut out of his money. They did not tell him they took it until he went to store and he tried to spend what he thought he had only to find out that there was less there because they took some. I askeds him about it again yesterday and this is what he told me.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

It sounds like they got wise to folks putting money on the books while in County. That really sucks. One of the last loop-holes we had....

Morris1
Old 03-01-2007, 02:45 AM
"Kana"

As Of The First Of The Year They Are Taking 55% Out Until They Rest. Is Paid In Full. That Go's For All California Prisons
Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Banned

Thanks, we are all aware of that. That is not the issue here. The issue is pople were saying the do not take restitution when inmate goes from county to state but yes they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilaw
As Of The First Of The Year They Are Taking 55% Out Until They Rest. Is Paid In Full. That Go's For All California Prisons
Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 AM
lpjrecto

Thumbs down How about those canteen services?

I know that www.mycarepack.com does, indeed, send the items to my loved one housed at a county facility in CA.

Would one of those services be a way around this until the restitution is paid? I want HIM to pay it. It's HIS bill; not mine. I send money in as a gift and not to pay his bill.

I can understand restitution coming out of money an inmate receives from working, but this new policy seems to be yet another way to punish the family.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 AM
Banned

Carepack is for county jails. While in recpetion they cannot get packages so the only thing they can get is money while in reception. Sorry. once mainlined yeah you can send packages instead of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpjrecto
I know that www.mycarepack.com does, indeed, send the items to my loved one housed at a county facility in CA.

Would one of those services be a way around this until the restitution is paid? I want HIM to pay it. It's HIS bill; not mine. I send money in as a gift and not to pay his bill.

I can understand restitution coming out of money an inmate receives from working, but this new policy seems to be yet another way to punish the family.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:51 AM

Default restitution question

My boyfriend was recently transferred from county to CSP LAC. He and I got into an argument on 12/31 and he told me no too come see him anymore. SO I didn't and I didn't give him any money either even though he expected me to. So when he got to CSP LAC he didn't have any money. I sent him $100 last month through J pay. And he told me that he owed restitution of $200 (which I was not aware of. I've seen his court paperwork and there was no restitution ordered). But anyway, he said that they took ALL of the $100.00. And he said that it was kind of weird because they normally just take a percentage. The reason why I'm asking is because I don't know if I can believe him. Even though I do love and care for him, he has not been the most loyal trustworthy person. I'm wondering if he is just trying to get more money out of me. He has done stuff like that in the past. He has wanted me to deposit my paychecks to him instead of my own checking account! and he got mad when i said no! So after all this rambling of mine, my question is: Is it common practice for the prison to take ALL of the money deposited until "restitution" is paid? I don't even think he has restitution. how can i find out? Allthough, he may not have had it for the original crime but while he was in wayside, he did some damage in the facility and was sent to the hole. So maybe that might be why he has to pay??
Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

From what I have gathered, 55% is the maximum they will take. I might be a little suspicious.

Morris1
Old 03-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

Call Lancaster on MOonday and ask for inmate trust account and tell them you just want to find out how much he owes. If that does not work call sacramento and ask them. So far Wasco has been cool and they have told me everything including the case it was involving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogijack
My boyfriend was recently transferred from county to CSP LAC. He and I got into an argument on 12/31 and he told me no too come see him anymore. SO I didn't and I didn't give him any money either even though he expected me to. So when he got to CSP LAC he didn't have any money. I sent him $100 last month through J pay. And he told me that he owed restitution of $200 (which I was not aware of. I've seen his court paperwork and there was no restitution ordered). But anyway, he said that they took ALL of the $100.00. And he said that it was kind of weird because they normally just take a percentage. The reason why I'm asking is because I don't know if I can believe him. Even though I do love and care for him, he has not been the most loyal trustworthy person. I'm wondering if he is just trying to get more money out of me. He has done stuff like that in the past. He has wanted me to deposit my paychecks to him instead of my own checking account! and he got mad when i said no! So after all this rambling of mine, my question is: Is it common practice for the prison to take ALL of the money deposited until "restitution" is paid? I don't even think he has restitution. how can i find out? Allthough, he may not have had it for the original crime but while he was in wayside, he did some damage in the facility and was sent to the hole. So maybe that might be why he has to pay??
Old 03-10-2007, 09:21 PM

Default How much

How high can the restitution go? If someone kills another person will they have to pay it the rest of their lives in prison?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Joined at the heart!

Restitution depends on the crime and what is involved. If someone robs a bank, the restitution could equal the amount that was taken even if they recovered it all. There isn't a set amount for anything, it can be whatever the courts decide it to be. I think ytakemyguy said she knew someone who got $19K in restitution, but I don't know what they did. So, it all depends.

Dusty’s Lady

HE'S HOME!!
As of July 25, 2007!!
And I am STILL loving it!!
Old 03-11-2007, 02:04 PM

There are two types of restitution, victims restitution and state/local restitution. Victims restitution is the amount of mney the victim shows the court the crime cost the victim. State/local restitution is to reimburse the court or other government agency for their costs. Probation Officer reports are $200 restitution fine, lab fees for drug cases are $60 to $100, etc. The judge can also fine the inmate $200 for each year of the sentence. The largest restitution fine I have seen was for 3.5 million dollars. The inmate paid the restitituion in full before paroling.