Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Can California Parolees Travel Internationally?

Do any of you have experience with a parolee traveling internationally? I am renting a beach house in Costa Rica for a month and wanted to invite my friend to come for a month but he is on parole.

I realize he has to have permission from his parole officer but I am curious if any of your friends who are felons had a hard time aquiring a passport while still on parole. Also, did anyone have a bad experience getting into another country?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Joined at the heart!

My husband could not even go to Mexico for work while he was on parole. I know that all parole officers are different, but I find it hard to believe any parole officer will let him go for that long.

Dusty’s Lady

HE'S HOME!!
As of July 25, 2007!!
And I am STILL loving it!!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,190 Times in 497 Posts

My ex couldn't go out of State while on parole,it probably depends on the PO like cadustin said.

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 AM

I am not 100% sure, but I thought my husband said he could not get a passport while on parole. It can't hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:09 PM

In addition to it being extremely unlikely that he would be able to get a passport, many countries also have restrictions as far as having ex-felons come to their country. I don't know anything about Costa Rica, but to visit Canada for instance you have to be off parole for 5 years and then you have to apply for permission to enter. Costa Rica may not be that strict, but I thought for most people a condition of parole was that they couldn't even leave the county they were in without approval, never mind the country.