Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MASSACHUSETTS > Massachusetts Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Massachusetts Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Massachusetts prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & and related topics.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Franklin County Jail stupidity!!

My friend's been awaiting trial out there since august, and i've been driving out there to visit him at least once a week since then....I live about 65 miles away from Greenfield Mass, and the drive is a hardship, especially for one hour, noncontact, but i care for the guy, so i do what i gotta do, yknow?
still, i filed an appeal to the administration for longer visits. after being ignored for several months, i finally chased the superintendent down on the telephone and was told that because "you visit too often" it was denied...
which really confuses me, because a friend of mine who lives right across town drives out to the same county jail as much as i do, and yet gets a two hour visit for her troubles each and every time! does that make any sense?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 AM

No it does not make sense.. at all! and im sorry you are experiencing this.. (doesnt surprise me) ..

THOUGHT: can/you/could you get a dr's note? ie: physically the ride.. is taxing..
or any other issues.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:21 PM

hey, since then i have an update!
the co's announced that as of this week, there would be a new visiting schedule....so of course before leaving the house to go up and try out the new hours, i wanted to be absolutely certain the change really was going into effect.
called three times, they said it's a go.
wouldn't you know it, after a fortune in gas and an hour and a half in the car it turns out those new hours DONT take effect til may AFTER ALL! and of course, that meant i missed our visit, cause the "old schedule" had it happening earlier that same day.....so there i was, at my wits' end cause of all the crap it took just to get there at the specified "new time", wondering what to do with myself....meanwhile, the co's were all calling up the visiting officer and taking turns cracking up about "aw, look she's sulking" etc etc....
by that point, though,they could have played pin the tail on the donkey on my butt and it really wouldn't have mattered....what's a little more insult, yknow? doesn't even register....
ps....i like the doctor's note idea....apparently the superintendent is taking MORE time off, but when he gets back, i'll have to try that one on him.....first, though, i think i'm going to try a note from my gas station attendent!!

Last edited by lagomorph; 04-24-2008 at 11:24 PM..
Old 04-25-2008, 06:45 AM

ya.. i know it s' a real "@@@@@" isnt it~
well hang in there, and as we all hope this too shall pass..

Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM

thanks for listening.....yknow, the most depressing parts of the jailhouse experience arise from the fact that it is intended to house people on a "short term" basis....most folks get bailed out after a few months or are sentenced and therefore qualify for some educational programs or merit-based qualification system for such privileges as contact visits and outdoor working.....
but if you don't get admitted to bail pending trial, you are a "maximum security" detainee, no matter how you behave. up where my friend is housed, that means no yard, no educational/vocational opportunities, no programs of any sort, and visiting hours reminiscent of being an animal at the zoo....

recently, one of his cases(not the "main event")came to trial.....he thought for sure he'd lose, and go to concord.....we were actually sort of happy about that, because the visiting situation is so much better and the prison system has some actual opportunities for education, exercise etc....but interestingly, the jury found him not guilty and so he got shipped back out to greenfield, where he'll probably be spending the next couple of years at least.....talk about sad.....looking forward to prison for the lifestyle upgrade!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 PM

oooh here's another update.....the DOC inspection crew took the grand tour a couple weeks ago.....during this time, the Big Cheese(don't know what they call him up there...probably not the Principal, but same idea )actually had to listen to me plead my case for extended visits, and act like maybe he was gonna say yes! i was so happy!!
and guess what? as soon as they left, he said "never mind".....WTF?!!