Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > 911 > Prison Petitions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Petitions Post all petitions here.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,380 Posts
Default Colorado Members... Please help stop Mandatory Parole...

For those of you who have a loved one in the Colorado Department of Corrections and want to see changes to the double sentences that our loved ones are given, please stop by http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/end...n-colorado-now and sign the petition to stop this non-sense now.

(Note... we are trying to limit this to the residents of Colorado and those directly effected by the CO DOC so the Governor and Legislators hear from those they represent.. Thank you!)

Remember... alone we are one, together we are millions!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 AM

Thanked 1,701 Times in 851 Posts

is this like the formula where actual time + good time + work time (or school) credit = length of sentence and the inmate is automatically released to supervision (no vote)?

They used to have that in Texas, back when i was sentenced. There are good and bad aspects to it, IMO.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Most people have a mandatory release date and most people get earned (good) time @ 10 days per month. Rarely does anyone get additional good time for education, so basically it's 365 days + 120 days (earned time) toward the sentence. They are eligible for discretionary parole at 50% of their sentence minus earned time unless it's classified as a violent offense, then it's 75%. Offenders are rarely released at the first parole hearing, short-timers get screwed because they are never released early, they are set back to their mandatory release date.

Colorado currently ranks 49th out of 50 states for the worst recidivism rate in the country. CO's do a good job getting people out of prison and PO's do a better one technically violating people for everything and anything and sending them back to prison. As of 2007, the recidivism rate for new offenses on parole was 10% + and for tech violations it was 30%. I believe they're fudging the numbers when I look at their own stats, but DOC is very well known here for cooking the books when it comes to releases and revocations.

I've spent 33 months on parole with my husband. There is no support system within parole, if you ask for help they'll violate you. I've seen people messed with with only 2 days of parole left. And I believe there's a statute that says if you go back on a revocation with less than 12 months of parole left, DOC adds ANOTHER 12 months on, essentially keeping you in the system FOREVER if they want to. In a nutshell, it's BS.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Colorado sure gives new meaning to keeping the revolving door revolving!!!

From the way I read the statute I sent over to you they can not keep an offender for a revocation any longer than the original sentence plus the mandatory parole period plus 12 months but I'm sure knowing them they'd find a way to get around that Afterall there is money involved and DOC in Colorado has more power than GOD!!

When I shared that statute with Roy he told me I was dead wrong.. I hope for his sake that I am.

Did you see there are new signatures today on the petition I sent a couple letters out Monday to men that used to be with R that have been transferred to ask for their help.. I'm crossing my fingers it helps and doesn't backfire on me haha. R is suppose to be sending me some other names and numbers to contact... I truly believe this is going to be part of our success.

The more attention we can draw to this the better so let's keep plugging away!! (Do you think we could post it on the CURE group site??)
Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

I'll email the link over to Dianne. I posted it on Think Outside The Cage yesterday, that's where some of the new sigs came from too. And another one this morning! I'm going to send a copy of it to Sean via Legal mail so they can't read it and have him pass it around. Hopefully he can get the word out too. Legal mail is definitely one way to do it as long as the attorney agrees to it. We can also post it on our myspace pages as a link...maybe that will help!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Wow... I wasn't familiar with Thinking Outside the Cage until today... What an excellent source of information!!

I just found this comment and several mentions of a link coming in January....

(Moderator's note- This post edited per PTO Copyright policy. Link must be provided when posting items from off site, and only 1 paragraph or 10%, whichever is shorter, can be used)

Cindy, when this link is made available please make sure that I'm made aware of it (which I'm sure you will )... I'll do the same

I've also been doing some research today online and came across the following blog... http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/s...rrections.html

I only wish there was a way to contact Mr. Michael J. McCarthy and a couple of the commenters somehow to get their support.. UGH

Good thinking on getting the info to Sean

2009 has to be a year of change!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:36 PM
replanted cheesehead

Signed

Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM

i signed
Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thank you so much everyone! Please pass the word about our petition whenever you get the chance!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

http://forums.mercurynews.com/topic/...comment-209303
Old 01-09-2009, 05:02 AM

Thanked 1,701 Times in 851 Posts

Cindy,

What you shared sounded too much like the Texas system. But how the heck can they ADD additional flat time to a sentence imposed by the court? I mean, if you get a 10 year sentence, you MAY have to serve 10 full years, piece by piece, but no way any longer than that. Wonder how that is calculated?

so most of the violations are technical violations rather than new offenses? I understand the logic behind going back to prison if you commit another crime. But I also understand that the rules can be tweaked to be so difficult that NO ONE can possibly comply with them over an extended period of time.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

I actually didn't know that DOC could do that...add another 12 months of parole onto a sentence. It's statutory...if a parolee is revoked with less than 12 months left on his parole, he's not released until his mandatory release date. He/she gets no earned time on the revocation so they are serving flat time. They are then released on another 12 months of parole.

Colorado legislators have passed the law because there have been offenders who have self-revoked so they could finish their tail in prison. Then they could be released with no post-supervision. Law makers thought they were doing it so they could commit more crimes but the real truth is it's so difficult to make it through parole here, than many offenders just gave up and finished it in prison.

Colorado parole has made it nearly impossible for anyone to complete parole without being revoked. Offenders also used to be able to self-revoke and DOC has instituted rules regarding that as well. I've told my husband that it seems the only way to finish parole successfully is to live in a cave or a deserted island. But that's not reality. Offenders here are given expectations that a normal law-abiding citizen couldn't live up to...neither could a cop or a parole officer. They are basically set up for failure at the get go unless they're lucky enough to get a parole officer who is so lazy they don't do anything...and they are far and few between.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Just wanted to share... I received a letter yesterday from an inmate at Bent County who was sentenced to 8 years DOC followed by a 5 year parole. He wrote to applaud us for our efforts to get this injustice corrected! He went on to say.. on behalf of thousands of effected inmates, he wishes to thank us from the bottom of their hearts!

I guess one of the guys that I sent the letter and petition information to has posted it in his unit...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Account Suspended

I signed the petition just now
Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thank you everyone!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:52 AM
Yesi-luv

I'm in and I just signed...!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thank you so much!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanks everyone for signing the petition. As you know we're in a huge budget crunch in Colorado and the more signatures we can get the more Governor Ritter and the Legislature will look at this as a way to save money both now and in the future. The mandatory parole law needs to be repealed by lawmakers. I've also posted it in the Rocky Mountain News and Denver Post in response to closing 2 prisons here and double-bunking inmates at those prisons somewhere else...let's see what kind of change we can make!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Now that Colorado is considering ending the DP as a way to fund cold case investigations, maybe it's a good time to have them consider ending mandatory parole since it's useless and a huge waste of money. The money would definitely be better spent on higher education and mental health and educational programs for offenders. We're up to 208 sigs let's keep going!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

We've had a lot of people with loved ones in Colorado join PTO. Please sign our end mandatory parole petition and have your families sign it as well. We need 500 signatures by next Tuesday so I can take this to the Annual Parole Board meeting on the 26th. These people need to see how miserable parole is in Colorado. Then I'm off to talk to the Governor!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,028 Times in 7,143 Posts

Did I miss the info? I did not see the date by which the signatures must be gathered?

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

We'd like to get to 500 signatures on the petition. Please pass it along to friends and family members to sign. I would like to get the petition to Gov. Ritter by the end of April and we need another 175 signatures! He and the state legislators both need to see what a waste of tax dollars this is and get rid of it especially now that we have no money to waste!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

130 signatures still needed but April 30th is fast approaching!!! If you haven't already done so, please stop by and have your voice heard.. tell the legislators what a HUGE waste of your hard earned money this is!!