Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > HAWAII Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

HAWAII Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Hawaii - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, etc.

Old 03-12-2004, 04:57 PM
I is a College Student
Donation Award 

Default Volunteer Services-Hawaii Dept of Public Safety

Recently I just completed a 2 day training session to become a volunteer in the state prison system here in Hawaii. I will be attending a Toastmaster club as an educator about once or twice a month to start, to increase to weekly visits as my schedule lightens up. In order for me to take the volunteer orientation training session I had to be recommended by a member of an outside Toastmasters club, who also coordinates the TM Educational programs inside.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED PLEASE PM ME FOR INFORMATION. When I have more time I will post the info on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2004, 05:01 PM

what are you doing as a volunteer?
Old 06-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Back 4 Round 2??

Ms Aloha where are you? I hope that all went well with the Voluentering at the Prison! I think that is a wonderful service you are doing!
Old 09-24-2004, 01:06 AM
I is a College Student
Donation Award 

Aloha Folks. Sorry I've been away for so long from the website, but I've been very active in Toastmasters. I am now a volunteer "educator" up at Halawa Medium Prison, where we have one of our very active clubs. I will also be attending about once a month at another prison, where we're trying to charter another club. I have been asked to do volunteer work up at the women's prison here, but I have so much on my plate that I can just barely make it up to the two men's prisons.

It didn't take too long to go through the process of becoming a volunteer. And I find it very fulfilling to watch our inmate members learn and grow. I go up with two other folks and we stay about an hour/hour and a half. It isn't a social call; we do run a regular Toastmasters meeting, with speakers, evaluators, a Master of Ceremonies. All speeches given are manual speeches. Most of the club's executive board are comprised of inmates. As a matter of fact, the president of the club is determined that their club will achieve 10/10 goals to obtain the Presidents Distinguished Club Award, which puts me on my notice because I am the club president of my home club on the outside.

I believe that communications and leadership skills are necessary tools to assist an inmate in making it "on the outside". I hope that with my participation, as well as the other members of Toastmasters will give our guys the opportunity to take advantage of this great opportunity. Mostly, I hope that when they're on the "outside" they will utilize these tools to get ahead in life.

Any questions please feel free to PM me. Please understand that I'm not trying to solicit for Toastmasters. Our group is just one of many that visits inmates in prison. Also note that if my loved one were in the same prison and wanted to attend Toastmasters, I would definitely be prohibited from going there due to conflict of interest.

Thank you.