Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 06-25-2014, 10:52 PM

Default No menstruation since incarceration

Weird question. My sister says she hasn't mentruated since her incarceration about 6 months ago. She has a theory that the prison puts hormones in the water to control the inmates. The problem is, "truth" is a more flexible concept for my sister than it is for most people and I never know when to take her seriously. Health/medical issues are especially attractive for her creative mind because HIPPA prevents us (her family) from verifying anything. Has anyone heard of this menstruation problem? Should I be worried? Could it just be stress related and nothing to do with hormones?

She also told me that she was prescribed anti-anxiety meds and a sleeping pill, but that since pill line is in the morning, she was taking her pill when she woke up. Is that possible/normal?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Spook's Lazy Butt

I don't trust the water at all in prison I believe they do something to it, unless its bottled or commissary water than something different. That's just me.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:20 PM

Nerves can also cause a woman to not have a monthly cycle. Being incarcerated is a big deal and a big change. It is not unusual for women to go thru this when going thru something big like this. I have gone six months even longer without having a cycle I was going thru some really rough stuff once everything settled down my cycle started back.
The Following User Says Thank You to PDGreene For This Useful Post:
Maushel (06-25-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 12:03 AM

Where my wife is she is allowed to keep certain meds in her room, and she goes to medline twice a day for the others. She has friends that get meds several times a day.

I WILL BE STRONG FOR HER SO WE WILL BE TOGETHER AGAIN SOON!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:13 AM

Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,116 Posts

You can have your sister sign a hippa release and then they have to give out the info. But I seriously doubt that they are putting anything in the water. But who knows? I have my husbands info if I want it as we had some problems regarding his access to health care when he first went in. Most likely she is just stressed out and that can cause all kinds of hormonal problems in women.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:42 AM
Always Remembered
Donation Award 

Thanked 30,845 Times in 11,079 Posts

It's very unlikely that anything's in the water. There are all sorts of people getting all sorts of meds, and there would be serious physical interactions somewhere along the line that would require investigation.

It is very, very likely however, that the stress has put her off her regular cycle. Stress does that to many women.

There are many different times that people must take meds, especially for something that needs to be taken two or three times a day, which isn't uncommon. I doubt they're giving her a sleeping pill in the morning.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:06 AM

Thanked 11,111 Times in 6,008 Posts

Another vote for stress...

They aren't putting anything in the water. That can be all but guaranteed, especially since most agencies use local water supplies, and I seriously doubt that the entire town is going without menstruation. But as with other things, it seems that going to prison makes people suspend all measures of common sense reasoning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Tx_Angel (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:09 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,643 Times in 673 Posts

As one who has experienced menopause through his wife, my first question would be what her age is. In my wife's case, her period stopped abruptly. So abruptly we thought she might of been pregnant. However, my vote is for stress as well (If a male can have a vote here). Hormones and stress are practically the same thing.

That last sentence sounds too literal. What I mean is that hormone levels are effected by stress, and stress is effected by hormone levels. They aren't literally the same thing ... but are definitely related.

Last edited by Real Checker; 06-26-2014 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,028 Times in 7,143 Posts

Stress and, probably, the dramatic change in diet.
As an evolutionary development, a woman's fertility decreases at times of danger or famine, Mother Nature's way of not bringing a baby into an unstable situation. Her limbic system is probably screaming "EEEEK!" and shutting down "auxiliary systems" to ensure survival.
I have heard from a lot of women that their cycles quit or changed drastically during long term, high intensity periods like boot camp, firefighter training and prep for athletic competitions.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:10 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,290 Times in 7,748 Posts

Stress, weight loss, weight gain, "the change", pregnancy, and a lot of other issues can cause one to skip, stop, or otherwise disrupt the cycle. As with everything health related, when there's a significant change like the abrupt stoppage of one's cycle, the person should check with her healthcare provider.

It has nothing to do with the water though the belief that it is the water is an indication of what stress is doing to her mind. If she's not able to listen to reason about it, then you know that stress has taken root and whatever "creative thinking" she experienced on the outside is becoming very symptomatic on the inside.

As for drugs - tons of drugs treat anxiety. Benzos, most commonly prescribed for anxiety on the outside, are not generally prescribed, and it's much more likely that she's on an SSRI or other antidepressant that also targets anxiety. I'd listen to other former inmates as to the distribution of sleep meds, but the general rule is they don't prescribe addictive substance so that inmates can keep them in their cell.

Get a HIPAA release signed. If she won't do that, then you're going to have to control her thoughts and behaviors "flying blind". How to do that is up to you. But, if she's missed her period for more than a couple of weeks or has missed 2 or more in a row, she should get checked out to make sure that it is stress and not something more problematic (not that stress isn't problematic, but self care can really help treat stress whereas other causes require more aggressive professional intervention).
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 07:36 PM

Thanked 1,634 Times in 533 Posts

How does her "theory" explain all the other girls on their periods all over the place? Does she think she has a private water supply?
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
Tx_Angel (06-26-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,596 Times in 2,081 Posts

Or the occasion female inmate that gets pregnant while locked up?

Why do you think there's no co-ed prisons? Smile
Old 06-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Donation Award 

The water systems used in the prisons come from the same source as the city water. They aren't putting hormones in the water - It has regulations and tests and is monitored outside the prison.

I'm with the other person on here that mentioned stress. Stress no doubt plays a huge factor as far as her period.

There is always the thought of other issues however inside of a high stress environment .. I would go with that thought