Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Ohio that do not fit into any other Ohio sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 PM

Default Has anyone else ever complained about living condition?

Ok.... so, my BF is, for the moment, at LorCI and has told me how overcrowded it is, how it's over 90 degrees inside, how the 3rd shift COs sleep, how there's only 2 COs per 200 men, how fist fights are breaking out over use of the phones.

He wasn't complaining so much as venting to me, and he never asked me to do anything about it.

Well, I have issues with the 90+ degree heat and the drinking fountains being broken so, I emailed ODRC. Brian Nicewanger pretty much told me "too bad, so sad." Then he chose to ignore me. I gave him over a week and a half to respond.

So, I emailed the governor. (And my state reps). Yes, the Governor of the Great State of Ohio.

I cannot tell you how fast those "people" jumped LOL!!

Unfortunately, they dragged my BF into the office of the "Shift Captain" and he got a stern warning about going through the "proper" channels. Oh how I pissed them off, and HE had nothing to do with it; it was ALL me. And I *tried* to go through the proper channels, I was told "too bad, it's a prison, deal." I wasn't asking for anything out of the ordinary except the building be maintained as it should be, and as a tax payer, I have a problem with state employees sleeping on the job, but I guess that's just me.

I swear if this goes any farther I'll be on the phone to all the newspapers and all the TV stations in every city where there's a "correctional" facility. I WARNED them not to retaliate against anyone I knew there. Not only that, I NEVER told them who my BF was! In fact, I communicate with more than one inmate there.

Yes I'm hoping they're reading this, because they need to realize they may be able to control him, but they cannot control me. It wasn't he who made the complaint, it was ME! And I did it not just for the people I know there, but for all the men who are housed there, the living conditions are absolutely deplorable. It needs to be addressed and if they need to be kicked in the ass by the governor's office, then so be it.

T

Last edited by Thersa; 08-20-2010 at 09:14 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thersa For This Useful Post:
Pmom41 (09-21-2010), scoopster (08-21-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2010, 02:28 AM

excellent job, just make sure everything you complain about is credible, and don't nit pick on every single thing. I have been doing this for over 10 years. Now you need to learn terms like "derelection of duty" within the ohio revised code. The standards of employee conduct rules which apply to staff. sleeping would be "failure to follow post orders", rule 44 used to be "no threatening, intimidating, harassing, coercing inmates."
Finally retaliation, the 6th circut court of appeals in Thaddeus-X vs Blatter, in 2000 did an en banc decision, and reversed all prior rulings, and we no longer have to shock the concious of a jury in order to prevail on a retaliation claim.

Don't forget the State highway patrol has jurisdiction to investigate criminal actions within the institutions.

Furthermore, Ohio Revised Code 124.34 applies to any state, city, local, township employee, and in it is malfeasance actions, also discourteous treatment to the public oh they hate when you know all this but knowledge is power.

program all these numbers into your cell, plus CIIC for when needed while on a visit.

Plus learn to dig and investigate utilizing public records also. ORC 149.43.

remember to be technical, think of every aspect, every angle using logic. the heat, the buildings are mostly brick, and the brick will absorb the heat and radiate heat for hours after the sun goes down... I had to argue with other inmates over using the fans to blow the heat out and suck cool air in, but no, they wanted fan pointed directly on them which did not cool the inside down at all. I filed derelection of duty and the inspector was out for 3 days in a row, and I got the huge exhaust fan fixed on the roof which did not work for years.

Now just think if 100 people per institution could use their time way more wisely, and advocate like this, rather than jerry springer, play boring cards, what would this actually do?

See you will file a grievance, they will deny you up all the way regardless, but if you file them like I did citing every aspect, angle, and one subject, with rules, regulations, case laws. Then sit back and watch and they will rectify what you greived on. My sarge was amazed at how I was getting more done than him, and he was a white shirt.

The whole philosophy is that all DRC's will deny your greivances deliberately. why? because if inmates were to win, what would happen? they would file more and more. It's simple, so most give up after filing one or two, and have no faith in the greivance system. plus you send copies of your greivances to the outside people, law makers, organizations, CIIC, which lets them know what is going on.

Have fun

Last edited by scoopster; 08-21-2010 at 02:33 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoopster For This Useful Post:
mrsrimoldi (09-04-2010), Pmom41 (09-21-2010), Thersa (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 02:48 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,236 Posts

It was overcrowded @ my husbands old camp & riots broke out like crazy....inmates and COs getting stabbed and tons of media attention...yet they still didnt do crap about it. its good youre making an effort to contact people about it though cause who knows, maybe someone with the tools to make a difference will see it and take action.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 AM

Thanked 1,885 Times in 613 Posts

Where my son is, they have a new major. He decided that the window weather stripping could be taken out and used as a weapon, so he had it all removed. Then he decided the windows could be taken out, so they are screwed open. If it rains. he don't give a shit, it just rains in! The CO at the visit desk is checking out what the guys are in for and making rules special to each one.

I know that their job isn't to add punishment, that they are all ready being punished, but no one checks up on anything, unless they over hear it on the phone and it will get the inmates in trouble. I would love to remind them that I am paying part of their salary!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopster View Post
Finally retaliation, the 6th circut court of appeals in Thaddeus-X vs Blatter, in 2000 did an en banc decision, and reversed all prior rulings, and we no longer have to shock the concious of a jury in order to prevail on a retaliation claim.

Don't forget the State highway patrol has jurisdiction to investigate criminal actions within the institutions.

Furthermore, Ohio Revised Code 124.34 applies to any state, city, local, township employee, and in it is malfeasance actions, also discourteous treatment to the public oh they hate when you know all this but knowledge is power.

Have fun
Thank you very much! I may tap your knowledge base. At the moment I was only concerned with the 90+ D heat inside the building. Apparently the cords on the fans were cut.

The CO in the visitation area is the nastiest thing walking. I was there yesterday and she was so mean to the elderly ladies, she was acting like they came to do a burlesque show or something, and I can witness to the fact nothing was showing. That reference is helpful, thank you.

I wish I could say thank you for the State Highway suggestion, except there was a state highway "person" (I don't know her rank) in the Shift Captain's office when they told Mike he didn't go through the proper channels. Apparently there have been alot of "tickets" written about the heat and the fans cords being cut, but nothing was ever done about it. He never wrote one because everyone else was writing one.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:04 PM

State Inspector Generals office also has jurisdiction, I got commissary prices dropped through them, using sales ads and commissary list. just make sure products match and sizes.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
State Inspector Generals office also has jurisdiction, I got commissary prices dropped through them, using sales ads and commissary list. just make sure products match and sizes.
You actually messed with their bottom line?? OMG! I'm scared of you!! YOU ARE AWESOME!! MY HERO!!

Where abouts in Ohio do you live, I'll buy you dinner.

Theresa
Old 08-21-2010, 01:20 PM

The highway patrol person at the institutions is the Institution investigator. They investigate all criminal activity, drugs, weapons, gangs, oversee telephone recordings. Plus suicides. Once their investigations are closed they become public record, however, ohio courts have blocked inmates now from obtaining them. Other state supreme courts have allowed inmates to obtain them.

Inmates can file criminal complaints under criminal rule 3, to the outside highway patrol, but will forward it to the institution investigator. The one at my institution was yelling at guys wanting to know who the author was rather than the issue.

guards put a hit out on my buddy who was a paralegal, he wrote the c/o up. the officer came to his cell with an inmate, asking him to drop his grievance, and she will drop her ticket. He replied you do what you want to do, and I will do what I want. So the hit was carried out. The inmate dropped his cell key in his cell, so we know where he lived. LOL We went to court three times. One judge died on us. We lost in court, but

My buddy sued the inmate for $5,000, and won on default. To this day 10 years later, he is still getting half his state pay. Not to mention any money people send. He got $150 back in december. The officer was fired, and this guy was sticking up for her. was it worth it? He still owes over $3,000

We got the whole story published in cleveland plain dealer, plus his picture. He was transferred to orient for his last two weeks. Guards started harrassing him, shaking him down, and they found the article, showed it to each other, and put all his stuff back nice and neatly, and left him alone.

I also had to file complaint against his P/O for not processing his paperwork, and refusing to call me. 124.34 applies to them as well. Got him out on time after calling upper administration.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:22 PM

medical care, all doctors, nurses, and dentist, psychs, they all have one thing in common? a license through the medical boards. So inmates are technically a patient under the bill of patients rights. So I sent my grievances to the state nursing, medical and dental boards I also cite the statute ORC 4731.22(B)(6) within my complaints, so the DRC inspectors see it, acknowledge it, and will mostly ignore it.

4731.22(B)(6) states; A departure from, or the failure to conform to, minimal standards of care of similar practioners under the same or similar circumstances, whether or not actual injury to a patient is established."

The IHS administrator was so mad when I got the doctors test scores through public records, called me up demanding where did I get this?? I stapled a copy to my informal. I told her under the Bill of patients rights, I as a patient am allowed to know anything about my doctor, especially the wacko's you hire in here. so she told warden i got it off internet within prison, which backfired.

I was asking to get one pill dropped off my evening dose, was getting over medicated. He said skip chow or skip my meds.

So he encouraged me to skip my epilepsy medication, so I set him up, and asked really, well what is your follow up advice? he said eventually you will have a seizure, and we will come get you and charge you $3. BINGO!

So the IHS administrator sent me to him again. the c/o came down to the door to watch also. The doctor said, "just remember this you are a convict!" So I told him remember this you are a physician with a license under tcode of ethics for the state medical board, and to look out for the BEST interest of your patients, regardless of race sex, origin, age,(grabbing my color) and this doesn't mean nothing. The officer walked away, and the doctor was so scatter brained, he could not get my simple 300, 300, 300 down, had to repeat 4 times to him like a kid.

After that was treated like a king on medical care.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scoopster For This Useful Post:
Pmom41 (09-21-2010), Thersa (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 04:59 PM

You know, S, you sound like you're on a mission. If I can help you in any way, research, letter writing, whatever, please don't hesitate to ask.

Theresa
Old 08-22-2010, 02:54 AM

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/SOS/PUBLI...s/federal.aspx

order this book, its free. prisoners can also get one, they are free.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thersa View Post
You know, S, you sound like you're on a mission. If I can help you in any way, research, letter writing, whatever, please don't hesitate to ask.

Theresa

How about I retire, and you take over
Old 08-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
How about I retire, and you take over
I'll be needing a little bit of training... Pretty sure I have a new focus now. Some of the stories I've read break my heart. I've been volunteering with a parrot rescue and Mike says I should find people to help, not birds. I think I can safely say I found some people to help.

I ordered the book, now I should probably find the Ohio Revised Code, huh?

Theresa

Last edited by Thersa; 08-22-2010 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: word form
Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM

Scoop, what can you tell me about Allen Correctional? He was transfered there after being approved because of a family health issue. Allen is closer to family than London is. I know its more of a "mental health" but they house regular(if you will) inmates there too. He has tried on more than one occasion to try and go through proper channels for filing grievances and so forth but to no avail. Any info would be great! Thanks a million for taking the time to read this post.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:52 AM

Don't know anything on Allen, actually quiet place. plus CIIC has done an inspection there in years. Sorry
Old 08-24-2010, 12:58 PM

Well they need to lol. Thanks for responding
Old 09-18-2010, 03:08 AM

Scoopster, anything on London?

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul."

"Love is not blind. It simply enables one to see things others fail to see."
Old 09-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsgirl81 View Post
Scoopster, anything on London?
My man was in London before his transfer. If memory serves me its a much "cleaner" facility than his current place.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 PM

I was just wondering because he never says much about where he is and wouldn't no matter how good or bad it was.

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul."

"Love is not blind. It simply enables one to see things others fail to see."
Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Vera

Thumbs down living conditions....and health care!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thersa View Post
Ok.... so, my BF is, for the moment, at LorCI and has told me how overcrowded it is, how it's over 90 degrees inside, how the 3rd shift COs sleep, how there's only 2 COs per 200 men, how fist fights are breaking out over use of the phones.

He wasn't complaining so much as venting to me, and he never asked me to do anything about it.

Well, I have issues with the 90+ degree heat and the drinking fountains being broken so, I emailed ODRC. Brian Nicewanger pretty much told me "too bad, so sad." Then he chose to ignore me. I gave him over a week and a half to respond.

So, I emailed the governor. (And my state reps). Yes, the Governor of the Great State of Ohio.

I cannot tell you how fast those "people" jumped LOL!!

Unfortunately, they dragged my BF into the office of the "Shift Captain" and he got a stern warning about going through the "proper" channels. Oh how I pissed them off, and HE had nothing to do with it; it was ALL me. And I *tried* to go through the proper channels, I was told "too bad, it's a prison, deal." I wasn't asking for anything out of the ordinary except the building be maintained as it should be, and as a tax payer, I have a problem with state employees sleeping on the job, but I guess that's just me.

I swear if this goes any farther I'll be on the phone to all the newspapers and all the TV stations in every city where there's a "correctional" facility. I WARNED them not to retaliate against anyone I knew there. Not only that, I NEVER told them who my BF was! In fact, I communicate with more than one inmate there.

Yes I'm hoping they're reading this, because they need to realize they may be able to control him, but they cannot control me. It wasn't he who made the complaint, it was ME! And I did it not just for the people I know there, but for all the men who are housed there, the living conditions are absolutely deplorable. It needs to be addressed and if they need to be kicked in the ass by the governor's office, then so be it.

T
I got really sick at ORW. I alomst died there from a health problem. i tried to complain, and I was told that my complaints were appreciated. they also noted that i was eventually seen and treated. i was seen after i had to lie about what was wrong with me just for the medical people to see me. i was bleeding internally, and the nurses told the COs to tell me to drink water and go back to bed. I was treated after being rushed to OSUH for emergency surgery at 2am!!! Natioanl Geographic was at ORW filming a documentary. i tried to talk to them about my experience. I was moved 2 days later to a different facility. there is 2 COs per 250-300 inmates at ORW. the COs really do use the inmates against each other. no one listens to the inmates really. i had never been arrested before in my 32 years until this trouble. yes, i went to prison the first time i was ever arrested. i was autimatically stupid and a liar just because i was there. plus prisons teach people how to become more criminal. you can not imagine the desperation you feel in one of those places. i seen people lie, cheat, steal, hide food in their crotch, fight over a rumor a CO started. it's crazy. you're always told "too bad! you're in prison. deal with it!" it's more like you're forced to think like a criminal.