Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:08 PM

Question FMC Carswell

Got my designation letter yesterday, it says FMC carswell. I am on an insulin pump and dexcom CGM, my doctor wrote me a letter saying under no circumstances should I be given humulin R, N, or 70/30 mix. however I don't know what the rules are regarding my pump. any info will be greatly appreciated!!
Also, I've read several different things about sending in books. I've been buying books I would like to read inside since I took a guilty plea about 6 months ago. How many can I get sent to me at a time? how many can I have in my property at a time? Does carswell MC have cells or open housing like the camps? I have never spent any time behind bars (not even county jail) so what should I do to prepare? are there specific forums that would help me in this area? thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2019, 04:23 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 23,015 Times in 13,233 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Being designated to a federal medical center makes it more likely that you will receive appropriate treatment for your diabetes. You can sign up for sick call every weekday, and receive emergency medical care at any time, accessed through a corrections officer. The camp will be separate from the medical center, minimum security versus high security, so the rules will be less strict there.

Here's a link to the A&0 Handbook, the inmate rule book for the medical center.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...eng_050117.pdf

The main bop Carswell web page has much more information too.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/crw/

There are limits on all kinds of property, including books. You will learn what they are when you arrive. Some limits are enforced, others not so much, but that will be that prison or CO specific. Check with the mail room during their "open house" to find out how many books can be sent at one time.

A number of PTO members have been through Carswell so I hope your questions are answered. I spent some time in FMC Butner (for men) and most folks were housed in cells, or on one of the hospital floors. Work cadre inmates may have lived in dormitories, but I'm unsure of that.