Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Angry Approved Hardship Transfer but warden will not transfer.

My husband was approved on Nov 12 for a Hardship Transfer due to his father being very ill. I was informed on Thursday that the warden will not move him because he is in GED class. I called Huntsville today and the lady in Classification said that there shouldn't be a problem moving him if the new unit had a GED class. Does anyone have any insight into this problem. I am becoming very frustrated with this system but of course i can't let them know that. I have called my State Rep again but she was out of the office. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

I really don't have any advice, but I did want to say that I'm sorry to hear this for you. That's horrible. The only thing that even crosses my mind is to contact an ombudsman, but I don't know if the ombudsman gets involved in this kind of thing. I wish you the best of luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 12-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,542 Times in 1,745 Posts

The only time I've heard of this happening is when they are in college classes. I'd call Joni White in Huntsville and see what her office has to say about it. They are the ones who stamp all the paperwork for any and all hardships transfers. Good luck.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ReggiesLady For This Useful Post:
Renee (12-18-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Dallas DIVA Doll
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,032 Times in 806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmcgaughy View Post
My husband was approved on Nov 12 for a Hardship Transfer due to his father being very ill. I was informed on Thursday that the warden will not move him because he is in GED class. I called Huntsville today and the lady in Classification said that there shouldn't be a problem moving him if the new unit had a GED class. Does anyone have any insight into this problem. I am becoming very frustrated with this system but of course i can't let them know that. I have called my State Rep again but she was out of the office. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah this is what happened when my brother was in Rosharon and my Dad was ill and we lived in Dallas; this was years ago. My Mom got all the necessary paperwork completed BUT b/c he was in school they refused to transfer him. As soon as he completed classes about a month and a half later they did move him to Coffield which was perfect. My brother said he was not allowed to break the "contract" he signed when he started classes so he had to wait. I don't know what else you can do at this point and I'm sorry. My Dads health improved after surgery but we never told them that. Good Luck....Marcia

Free at last...Together 4-Ever

Our Baby: Miss Ayleah Zaide Brooks born... Jan. 8,2012 8 lbs. 1oz.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM
*Peace*Love*Happiness*

Jay requested a hardship transfer, got it approved, signed up for a GED class, was two weeks into the class and was pulled out and moved. We were hoping he could finish his GED classes before the move happened but now I'm not sure if he can pick up where he left off at his new unit or if he has to start over.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Advocate

Try what Reggie's lady said. When I worked for them they did it all the time. I understand the Warden wanting him to complete his GED but if his father is that ill then they should honor the transfer. He can get into another GED class where he transfers to. Most units have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmcgaughy View Post
Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 PM

I called and spoke with a supervisor in Huntsville and she said he would be moved as soon as a bed was available. I just want him closer. He hasn't seen his parents in 10 months and I know he will do better when they are able to see each other! Thank you all for your help!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Well we finally got him moved. The reason we were trying to get him moved was because his father is very ill and can not travel. Period. He can go a little ways but not far. Well they moved my husband from Houston to Tennessee Colony. His father is in Arlington and can not travel the 130 miles to the Coffield unit. Can anyone tell me if i have a chance of getting him moved closer and if so how do i go about doing it. Classification is telling me that they got him moved with in 200 miles and that is there policy. I was under the impression that they get them as close as possible. Any help anyone can give me would be great. My husband is very close to his parents and he hasn't seen them in a year. Thank yall.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Glad he is a little closer, keep trying is my only suggestion, to get him even closer. You may want to have his father's doctor write a letter regarding exactly how far he can travel to TDCJ. hope this helps!!
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is Godís will for you in Christ Jesus.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,179 Times in 2,585 Posts

I'm pretty sure the 200 mile rule is correct. I agree that a letter from his Dad's doctor stating what his travel limitations are might be helpful. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 PM

A Doctors letter wouldn't hurt. I got my son transferred from Tennessee Colony because of a medica, hardship on me. It took about 6 months but he was transferred
Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 PM

Unhappy Missing my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsrtx View Post
a doctors letter wouldn't hurt. I got my son transferred from tennessee colony because of a medica, hardship on me. It took about 6 months but he was transferred
can you please give me some info on how to get a hardship transfer,im sick@dont have any way to visit my son in tennesse colony,i havent seen him in 2/1/2 years,please help me,god bless
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 PM

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrie gray View Post
can you please give me some info on how to get a hardship transfer,im sick@dont have any way to visit my son in tennesse colony,i havent seen him in 2/1/2 years,please help me,god bless
I copied this from the TDCJ website:

A hardship transfer is usually considered when there is a medical condition which impacts an immediate family memberís ability to travel for offender visitation. Generally, transfer facility, state jail, intermediate sanction facility, substance abuse, pre-parole and pre-release offenders are not eligible for hardship transfer consideration. Requests for an inter-facility transfer from an offenderís family member shall be directed to the appropriate warden or to the assistant director for Classification and Records. Requests for a medical hardship transfer must pertain to an immediate family member of an offender and the family member must be on the offenderís Visitors List. These requests must contain documentation from the attending physician indicating the family memberís inability to travel long distances. Such documentation should be on the physicianís letterhead and signed by the attending physician. The assistant director for Classification and Records may grant an inter-facility transfer if the request meets the required criteria. Hardship transfer requests may be submitted to:

Assistant Director
Classification and Records
P.O. Box 99
Huntsville Texas
77342-0099

Attention: Hardship Transfer Any questions, please send to the address above or call (936) 437-6271.

Be aware that if approved, they will only transfer an inmate WITHIN 200 miles of the hardship person, and you cannot request which unit. It will be the first available bed. I'm sorry that it's been so long since you've seen your loved one. I hope this helps, and god luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 AM
TDCJ hand

Thanked 1,397 Times in 765 Posts

Also I believe they grant only 1 hardship transfer per year, not sure though.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCJ hand View Post
Also I believe they grant only 1 hardship transfer per year, not sure though.
Yes, TDCJ Hand, your are correct.