Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:57 PM

Default Hardship transfer???

We are trying to get a hardship transfer for my husband. His dad suffers from seizures & has been advised by his doctor not to drive,espcially long distance. He got a letter from his dr stating this. What are the eligibility requirements in order to ask for one? He's onl

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Mostly Shopping

From what I understand this is the only requirement. Given his Dad is on his visitation list, of course.
I would guess that the only other requirement is a warden who approves ... Good luck!!!
"These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of anyone else. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal experiences"

Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Thanked 2,403 Times in 956 Posts

When I made the request, I sent notes from doctors/hospitals/tests everything I could think of just to be safe.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Love will get us threw it

I got my ex husband moved on a hardship when he was in. First, he has to be more than 300 miles away, he can not be in a pre-release or a transfer unit. It sounds like his dad will qualify him for the move but he will need to get a letter from his doctor on his letter head stating that he can not travel long distances and why. Then his dad should write a letter requesting the hardship for his son. Also, your husband has to have been case free for one year, and I am sure he is but his dad has to be on his visitation list. I think that is it. Good luck! It will take about 3 months before you hear anything and then they say that have up to 3 months to move them. When my husband was approved for his he was transferred within 2 or 3 weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to purplerose212 For This Useful Post:
sadiesgram (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM

So he's not qualified for at least a year? He's only been TDCJ for 6 months. Guess its gonna have to wait then...his dad will be upset. And we are not 300 miles away..more like 260. But his dad is not supposed to drive.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 PM

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

It sounds like you have got a lot of good answers here! This is what TDCJ "officially" says. Good luck!

What is the process for requesting a hardship transfer?

Special consideration for transfer may be made when an offender's family has medical problems limiting the ability to travel long distances. To apply for this special consideration you need to obtain a letter from the attending doctor stating the medical problems and how it impacts the ability to travel. This should be verifiable and preferably on the doctor's letterhead. If the offender is in a privately operated state jail facility and is a state jail confinee, attach the doctor's letter to your letter requesting a hardship transfer and mail it to the Correctional Institutions Division Director, P.O. Box 99, Huntsville, TX, 77342. Although submitting a request does not guarantee the offender will be moved to a unit closer to the family, you can be assured that the agency will give careful consideration to the request.

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Account Closed

Would you happen to know if the guidelines differ from prison to prison or from one state to another? His parents are well into their 70's and he's had his year in on November 12th.....it's definately something I'm going to look into. Thank you so much for the info you gave!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
My Heart is N Texas

My husband is on a hardship right now and I was told is as long as he is more then 200 miles away then he can try for hardship. I would submit it now that way if there are any other requirements then you will know what you will need if you have to wait a year. It took about 4 months for us to get approved. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 AM

Well infortunately I just founf out that he caught a case & had his phone privilages taken away for 90 days & no contact visits for 60. Don't know what he possibly could have done to get punished like that but my mind is wondering. Anyway, I saw that it said you have to be case free for a year, so I guess that disqualifies him

Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,327 Times in 678 Posts

He may be disqualified at this time, but that doesn't mean it can't happen!

When the doc writes the letter, have him use the word TRAVEL not "drive". They figure you can get someone else to do the driving.

My husband was 5 1/2 hours away; now he's 2 hours. It took time. Once everything has been submitted (doc letter, dad's letter), you can get a progress report at 936-437-6271.

Things take time in this bloody system, so don't give up! We're here for support if you need us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cara1947 For This Useful Post:
Renee (10-14-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesgram View Post
Would you happen to know if the guidelines differ from prison to prison or from one state to another? His parents are well into their 70's and he's had his year in on November 12th.....it's definately something I'm going to look into. Thank you so much for the info you gave!
Sadiesgram,

Where is your loved one incarcerated? Is he in TX or MN? In TX, the harship transfer applies to all TX units, but I'm not sure about MN. That's something you might consider asking about in the Minnesota forums if he's incarcerated in MN. I wish you the best of luck!

[/color][/size][/center]