Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:10 PM

Default Need advice on getting through the RDAP Program

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice to give to my fiance. He is currently in the RDAP Program and HATES it. He said that is have nothing to do with actual drug abuse rehabilitation and instead it is them sitting around telling on each other, pointing fingers at each other and their punishments including accepting feedback, singing, dancing, and etc. He said it is stupid and a waste of time. Now my fiance can be a sort of a hot head and his words can sometimes come off as being an asshole. I told him that to just keep his head down, do what they say, and we will find him a REAL rehab program when he gets out. However, due to his mouth and attitude, he is now in jeopardy of getting kicked out of the program. He haves a problem with challenging authority. I don't want him to roll over and take the abuse from the COs but is it worth losing the early release he can get. (He is sentenced till 2020 but with the program, he is looking to be in a halfway house in November of 2018) Is he right by not giving in and challenging the program? Any advice from anyone who had been in the program or had a loved one who went through the same thing would truly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2017, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,701 Times in 10,101 Posts

He's not going to get anywhere challenging the program the way he's doing. I get that he hates it, but he has to find the value in it. He can ask, in a very non-threatening way - what each of these steps are supposed to help him understand or what behavior he can improve from that particular approach.

From the sound, however, he's not going to do that.

And incidentally, if he insists on challenging authority he's not going to do well in an outside rehab either. He's not ready, clearly. He assumes that he knows better, so to hell with everyone else.

One thing I would point out - if he's worried about 'wasting time', then what the hell is he doing in prison? That's the biggest time waste there is!
Fridyrr.Likn (11-16-2017), Minor activist (11-17-2017), safran (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:45 PM

Reality is this... That the RDAP program was done to make BOP look like they are doing something to help the inmates with a drug addiction but in reality the RDAP has nothing to do with addiction...My husband got moved from VA to TX to take this class the 1st day he got there he saw something and the counselor that was running the program wanted him to tell on them also right away they moved him into a cell with a race that hes not allowed to live with ....we might whats the big deal!! (i know i did i even told him to suck it up and do it!!) but jail politics are made to be followed or face the consequences once he explained it to me all i cud do was support his decision of dropping from the program THE 1ST DAY HE ARRIVED!! The RDAP program is made for inmates to fail sad but i know at least a handful of inmates that got kicked out because they are asked to rat people out or other politics reason when all that had nothing to do with addiction.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Look, different prisons run RDAP different ways. I know several people who have actually used the program for their benefit. They quit with tools they were given in there, methods they were taught there.

On the other hand, I've known a lot of people who said the same thing about programs out here - useless, not really about quitting, all sorts of excuses. And they fail AA, or Horizons or wherever they've been. It's more about attitude and a willingness to figure out that others have trod this path before them and have found some of the important pieces that reinforce their sobriety. The letting go they have to do is very hard, because addicts don't want to hand over their lives...most of us don't, but they're particular hard-cases.
DanielsWyf (11-17-2017), safran (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 08:40 PM

I have never taken RDAP and have never been to treatment. However, from what I understand RDAP is meant to make one think about the consequences of their actions before doing them and take responsibility of the choices they make. Then apply these principles to their addiction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worldwide For This Useful Post:
DanielsWyf (11-17-2017), nimuay (11-16-2017), safran (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
I have never taken RDAP and have never been to treatment. However, from what I understand RDAP is meant to make one think about the consequences of their actions before doing them and take responsibility of the choices they make. Then apply these principles to their addiction.

And I get that!! But when ur in prison there also politics they have to 1st follow or there can be deadly consequences itís thst simple... another thing is my husband was never an addict heís never used outside nor inside but he was sentenced on a drug case which qualifies him for the program ... makes no sense how he wud cuz he never uses or pissed dirty inside ... in my opinion guys like mine take the program not so much to get the tool but to get the time off so most do it for the wrong reasons from the getgo ... just my opinion
Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

marry belle - your guy is in on drug charges...doesn't make it a huge reach that they would require RDAP. Beyond that, and politics aside, there are concepts to be grasped that apply to both addictions and to life in general. 'Take what you need and leave the rest' is applicable.

Something was wrong with his thinking. Maybe Cognitive Behavioral Therapy would be helpful, maybe EMDR, who knows. But when you have a hammer, everything is a nail. They don't have the resources to be that fine-grained. Just make use of what you're given. If you're hungry, even a baloney sandwich is helpful....it's not lobster and filet mignon, but it does the job.
DanielsWyf (11-17-2017), safran (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 01:53 PM

My family member completed RDAP at Florence about 8 months ago. He is an alcoholic with no drug issues. He didn't get a ton out of the program but he tried to get what he could. He also kept his head down, his mouth shout, and did what he was supposed to do to get the extra time off.

If your loved one wants the extra time off tell him to suck it up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
nimuay (11-17-2017), safran (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 01:56 PM

Do you think its worth it for people that won't get time of their sentence?
My friend doesn't qualify for a sentence reduction by doing it but his prison runs the program and he can get into it so he is in two minds. He has heard some people say its not great but it is drugs that led him to breaking the law so do you think it helps with addiction?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle82 View Post
Do you think its worth it for people that won't get time of their sentence?
My friend doesn't qualify for a sentence reduction by doing it but his prison runs the program and he can get into it so he is in two minds. He has heard some people say its not great but it is drugs that led him to breaking the law so do you think it helps with addiction?
My family member has stayed sober and has been out since April. He has said the program was "ok". It did help him pass the time inside. He hates being bored.
The Following User Says Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
Twinkle82 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 02:10 PM

Well done to him for staying sober. I'm thinking that these first few months have been the hardest ones for him to work through.

I will let my friend decide for himself. I think if I say oh yes great idea you should do it then he might join and decide he hates it. He has been in since 2009 and until the end of 2015 he was anything but what you would call a model inmate. He is trying his very best to turn that around but I'm wondering if he is ready for the work and restrictions that may come with doing the program. He is learning and doing all that he can but after 20+ years of breaking the law and getting involved in all the wrong things while locked up learning to live 'right' is hard for him but there are more steps forwards than backwards so that is whats important. I know it sounds crazy but I'm glad he has a few more years left inside to work on himself and his personal development as he is not ready to go back into society and succeed yet.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle82 View Post
Well done to him for staying sober. I'm thinking that these first few months have been the hardest ones for him to work through.

I will let my friend decide for himself. I think if I say oh yes great idea you should do it then he might join and decide he hates it. He has been in since 2009 and until the end of 2015 he was anything but what you would call a model inmate. He is trying his very best to turn that around but I'm wondering if he is ready for the work and restrictions that may come with doing the program. He is learning and doing all that he can but after 20+ years of breaking the law and getting involved in all the wrong things while locked up learning to live 'right' is hard for him but there are more steps forwards than backwards so that is whats important. I know it sounds crazy but I'm glad he has a few more years left inside to work on himself and his personal development as he is not ready to go back into society and succeed yet.
I wish him all of the best. Maybe there would be another time he would be able to take the program? I think the program really is what you make of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
Twinkle82 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 02:32 PM

My husband completed the RDAP program last December and will be finished with the one year follow up program next month. Is it a magical cure for addiction? Of course not. It's actually more geared towards changing your criminal thinking and thus using those new tools in regards to your addiction as well. He chose to be openminded and take something very positive away from the program. Because he made that decision. He said it was very obvious the people who really weren't trying to make a change and were just doing it for the hopeful time off. I'm glad he did it. As his wife I hear the changes in his thoughts and how he will interrupt himself now. I'm glad he participated in the program.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DanielsWyf For This Useful Post:
nimuay (11-17-2017), priceam (11-17-2017), safran (11-17-2017), Twinkle82 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielsWyf View Post
My husband completed the RDAP program last December and will be finished with the one year follow up program next month. Is it a magical cure for addiction? Of course not. It's actually more geared towards changing your criminal thinking and thus using those new tools in regards to your addiction as well. He chose to be openminded and take something very positive away from the program. Because he made that decision. He said it was very obvious the people who really weren't trying to make a change and were just doing it for the hopeful time off. I'm glad he did it. As his wife I hear the changes in his thoughts and how he will interrupt himself now. I'm glad he participated in the program.
Thanks for that. I think if my friend does it he will do it to learn all he can from it because he can't get any time off by doing it. I'm glad your husband got a lot from it
Old 11-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,626 Posts

DanielsWyf? And his sort of attitude and thinking are ones that keep people from repeating their mistakes and returning to prison.

Very happy for both of you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
nimuay (11-17-2017), priceam (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,273 Posts

Regarding RDAP usefulness, the BOP spends a ton of money on the program for one reason - recidivism is significantly lower. They study it every year. It works for their purposes. I've heard that women have an easier time with the program. And that , as said previously, the program is reflective of the people who run it. Even if it's boring or annoying, isn't the alternative just doing nothing? The bonus of time off is a real incentive and there is out-patient treatment on Supervised Release. I think he will have options of choosing who he goes to then.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
nimuay (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:17 PM

Thanked 1,085 Times in 603 Posts

When FAMM did their survey this year of education and programming in the BOP, RDAP got a lot of positive comments.
bellisq (11-18-2017), nimuay (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:15 PM

Default RDAP

I heard horrible stories first hand from RDAP participants. Same stuff generally as you state below: One good rule: they have all the power and you have none. period. Just shut up and keep head down - they have no intention of rehabilitating you. The mission statement in the front lobby was written by a lawyer in Washington, but the operations staff does not give a darn about your fiancť. It's their chance to show power. As well as the "healthy diet" they claim to serve the inmates. The only ones who eat healthy are the staff.

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice to give to my fiance. He is currently in the RDAP Program and HATES it. He said that is have nothing to do with actual drug abuse rehabilitation and instead it is them sitting around telling on each other, pointing fingers at each other and their punishments including accepting feedback, singing, dancing, and etc. He said it is stupid and a waste of time. Now my fiance can be a sort of a hot head and his words can sometimes come off as being an asshole. I told him that to just keep his head down, do what they say, and we will find him a REAL rehab program when he gets out. However, due to his mouth and attitude, he is now in jeopardy of getting kicked out of the program. He haves a problem with challenging authority. I don't want him to roll over and take the abuse from the COs but is it worth losing the early release he can get. (He is sentenced till 2020 but with the program, he is looking to be in a halfway house in November of 2018) Is he right by not giving in and challenging the program? Any advice from anyone who had been in the program or had a loved one who went through the same thing would truly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance[/quote]
Old 11-28-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrybelle View Post
Reality is this... That the RDAP program was done to make BOP look like they are doing something to help the inmates with a drug addiction but in reality the RDAP has nothing to do with addiction...My husband got moved from VA to TX to take this class the 1st day he got there he saw something and the counselor that was running the program wanted him to tell on them also right away they moved him into a cell with a race that hes not allowed to live with ....we might whats the big deal!! (i know i did i even told him to suck it up and do it!!) but jail politics are made to be followed or face the consequences once he explained it to me all i cud do was support his decision of dropping from the program THE 1ST DAY HE ARRIVED!! The RDAP program is made for inmates to fail sad but i know at least a handful of inmates that got kicked out because they are asked to rat people out or other politics reason when all that had nothing to do with addiction.

Will they be moving your husband back to VA when he's done with the program or will he be staying in texas?
Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,317 Times in 10,449 Posts

Challenging anyone or anything in the bop will almost always result in retaliation. The question he needs to ask himself is if the additional time off of his sentence is worth biting his tongue. Continuing to point out the shortcomings of the RDAP program and its "therapists" is one reason for the high failure rate. If in doubt, kick them out.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkie View Post
Hello,

Thank you in advance
How is it a waste of time if he's getting out more than a year early ?

What does he want them to do for him ? Wipe his ass ?
He needs to grow the **** up. You get what you put in to it, nothing more, nothing less.

In my prison, they babied the dappers, (Yeah, they got to sing and dance and have a lot of fun, which is waaay better than cleaning up goose shit, like the rest of us) so really, sounds like he's just whining because he doesn't want to follow a few extra rules.

Last edited by TTTy; 12-03-2017 at 09:04 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to TTTy For This Useful Post:
WARWICKSHIRE (12-07-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer10 View Post
Will they be moving your husband back to VA when he's done with the program or will he be staying in texas?
Actually he stayed in Texas for 20 months (which he hated lol) and then they moved him back to CA for his last 2 yrs of his sentence. He is now 49 days away from coming home. So like he said ..."I didn't but myself in a situation that I wouldn't be happy in or that I wouldn't comply because of the jail politics, so what if I did one more year??" After 15 yrs he still gets to come home with his dignity not label as a "rat" or being humiliated by making him carry a sign around their neck saying "I take accountability for my actions". We both know that he has NEVER had a drug problem.... he was a drug dealer but never a user. So for HIM the RDAP wouldnt of been a benefit besides the year off of a 15 yr sentence that he had ALREADY served 11 yrs. Sorry if it doesnt make sense to some meaning the jail politics, I know it didnt make sense to me when he told me he dropped out from the program but i supported him and im glad he did what he thought was best FOR HIM cuz at the end of the day im not inside doing the time!!

49 days and a wake up before I have him home
The Following User Says Thank You to marrybelle For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-04-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrybelle View Post
Actually he stayed in Texas for 20 months (which he hated lol) and then they moved him back to CA for his last 2 yrs of his sentence. He is now 49 days away from coming home. So like he said ..."I didn't but myself in a situation that I wouldn't be happy in or that I wouldn't comply because of the jail politics, so what if I did one more year??" After 15 yrs he still gets to come home with his dignity not label as a "rat" or being humiliated by making him carry a sign around their neck saying "I take accountability for my actions". We both know that he has NEVER had a drug problem.... he was a drug dealer but never a user. So for HIM the RDAP wouldnt of been a benefit besides the year off of a 15 yr sentence that he had ALREADY served 11 yrs. Sorry if it doesnt make sense to some meaning the jail politics, I know it didnt make sense to me when he told me he dropped out from the program but i supported him and im glad he did what he thought was best FOR HIM cuz at the end of the day im not inside doing the time!!

49 days and a wake up before I have him home

Where in Texas was he? Iím wondering if the FCI Fort Worth has the RDAP program?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star920 View Post
Where in Texas was he? Iím wondering if the FCI Fort Worth has the RDAP program?
It was FCI Beaumont Med. Look on Bop website and you can find all the facilities that have the RDAP program
The Following User Says Thank You to marrybelle For This Useful Post:
Star920 (12-07-2017)