Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arkansas Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Arkansas should be posted here.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 PM

Default Gun in the home

My brother was approved for paroled a couple of weeks ago. Today I missed a visit from someone from the local parole office due to work so I called them back. They asked me would my brother be released to my residence and did I have any weapons in the home. I answered yes to both questions. I own a gun and have a CCW license. So did I mess my brother's situation up? Should I just get rid of my gun? I really don't want to because I paid a pretty penny for it and I've lived by myself for the past couple of years so I need to be able to protect myself just in case. It is locked away in a top secret place that only I can get to. I don't want him to get in trouble for it. What do I do?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM

Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,642 Posts

Well im pretty sure the laws on that are the same in every state but I could be wrong. But felons cannot live in a home where there are guns even if they don't know where it is etc. You can look up the laws for your state online and if that's the case then no they will not let him live there unless you get rid of it good luck to you both.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:15 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Well im pretty sure the laws on that are the same in every state but I could be wrong. But felons cannot live in a home where there are guns even if they don't know where it is etc. You can look up the laws for your state online and if that's the case then no they will not let him live there unless you get rid of it good luck to you both.

In addition it is a federal felony; that applies to every state and the punishment is harsh.

I've seen dozens of post here about the same topic and no matter what reason the poster comes up with the answer is still NO - a felon, even one off of probation or parole - cannot be around weapons and that includes ammo was well as some knives.
just_ash (03-05-2018), patchouli (03-05-2018), xolady (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,980 Times in 10,816 Posts

The firearm must be out of the residence and off the property. Period. Gun safe doesn't matter, secret hiding place doesn't matter, and no other dodge you can think of will matter. If you keep it around and your brother comes to your house, he will eventually get pulled back into prison, with a possible new charge.

Your choice is simple - your brother or your firearm. But you won't be living alone any more if your brother comes home to you!
just_ash (03-06-2018), safran (03-05-2018), xolady (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_ash View Post
My brother was approved for paroled a couple of weeks ago. Today I missed a visit from someone from the local parole office due to work so I called them back. They asked me would my brother be released to my residence and did I have any weapons in the home. I answered yes to both questions. I own a gun and have a CCW license. So did I mess my brother's situation up? Should I just get rid of my gun? I really don't want to because I paid a pretty penny for it and I've lived by myself for the past couple of years so I need to be able to protect myself just in case. It is locked away in a top secret place that only I can get to. I don't want him to get in trouble for it. What do I do?
Depends on the parole officer. They may let you keep the weapon as long as it is in a gun safe and the parolee does not have access to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bell1234 For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (03-06-2018), just_ash (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 10:13 PM

But one of the conditions for the parolee is weapons. They can not use pawn sell or have any firearms or weapons or be around anyone with weapons and ammunition
The Following User Says Thank You to bell1234 For This Useful Post:
just_ash (03-06-2018)