Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:18 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,166 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Gov. Jerry Brown: Criminal Justice Initiative Is 'Poorly Drafted'

"Democratic Elk Grove Assemblyman Jim Cooper, a former police officer helping spearhead the initiative, said one of the most important changes proposed under the ballot measure is the expansion of what's considered a "violent" crime under state law. By changing that definition, the initiative would limit who's eligible for release from state prison and potentially result in more offenders being sentenced to state prison instead of county jail.

"Right now California crimes that are considered nonserious and nonviolent -- and that allow you to get out of jail or prison earlier -- are drugging and raping somebody, raping a developmentally disabled person, spousal abuse, a drive-by shooting, human trafficking of a child. So a myriad of different crimes, some 17 to be exact," Cooper said. "The public never had any idea. These were not considered serious or violent crimes in the state of California. When they hear it they're shocked." "

Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018. This initiative has gotten the number signatures required to put it on the ballot in November. Here we go. "The Law and order people" are at it again. I haven't like either one of these initiative from the get go

THE PEOPLE'S FAIR SENTENCING AND PUBLIC SAFETY ACT OF 2018.

Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018.
for different reason but this Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018 is a step backwards for sure. A few of rode this thing to death when Prop.57 before it became law. Well now we get to see just how far back we can go should the voters approve this in November.
I have been out most of this last week on the campaign trial throwing my support for who I support for Governor. Trust me the voters in California are ready for change in a lot of areas.

Last edited by Patrickj; 05-26-2018 at 06:36 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (05-26-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Gov. Jerry Brown: Criminal Justice Initiative Is 'Poorly Drafted'

"Democratic Elk Grove Assemblyman Jim Cooper, a former police officer helping spearhead the initiative, said one of the most important changes proposed under the ballot measure is the expansion of what's considered a "violent" crime under state law. By changing that definition, the initiative would limit who's eligible for release from state prison and potentially result in more offenders being sentenced to state prison instead of county jail.

"Right now California crimes that are considered nonserious and nonviolent -- and that allow you to get out of jail or prison earlier -- are drugging and raping somebody, raping a developmentally disabled person, spousal abuse, a drive-by shooting, human trafficking of a child. So a myriad of different crimes, some 17 to be exact," Cooper said. "The public never had any idea. These were not considered serious or violent crimes in the state of California. When they hear it they're shocked." "

I am glad that Jerry Brown sees problems in the new legislation that they are trying to pass. It seems that the problem with many of the backers is that they really don't get that some people are put behind bars for far longer than they need to be and as long as we give DA's the power to do that, we should give CDCR and the BOP the ability to let people out once they prove they have been rehabilitated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halo527 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (05-27-2018), Patrickj (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018. This initiative has gotten the number signatures required to put it on the ballot in November. Here we go. "The Law and order people" are at it again. I haven't like either one of these initiative from the get go

THE PEOPLE'S FAIR SENTENCING AND PUBLIC SAFETY ACT OF 2018.

Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018.
for different reason but this Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018 is a step backwards for sure. A few of rode this thing to death when Prop.57 before it became law. Well now we get to see just how far back we can go should the voters approve this in November.
I have been out most of this last week on the campaign trial throwing my support for who I support for Governor. Trust me the voters in California are ready for change in a lot of areas.

Who do you like for Governor Patrick? I'm leaning towards Gavin Newsom. I think he will continue the reforms. Heaven help our families if it's one of the Republicans!
The Following User Says Thank You to Halo527 For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 06:49 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo527 View Post
Who do you like for Governor Patrick? I'm leaning towards Gavin Newsom. I think he will continue the reforms. Heaven help our families if it's one of the Republicans!
Allen is my candidate reason being he supports some of the values that need to be restored in California. California needs to act like it is part of the United States of America. Take care of seniors and children. Stop building the train to no where (California Bullet Train) Repeal the gasoline tax. Stop taxing us to death
Now should Allen loose out to Cox I will not vote for Cox John Cox is not what we need for California.
Should we have two Democrats, running for Governor I would have to take a real deep look at one of them
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
Allen is my candidate reason being he supports some of the values that need to be restored in California. California needs to act like it is part of the United States of America. Take care of seniors and children. Stop building the train to no where (California Bullet Train) Repeal the gasoline tax. Stop taxing us to death
Now should Allen loose out to Cox I will not vote for Cox John Cox is not what we need for California.
Should we have two Democrats, running for Governor I would have to take a real deep look at one of them

Normally, I would have leaned towards Allen too. I also like him and have always leaned towards Republican values. However, with what's happened with my son and knowing how much we need to continue criminal justice reforms, I can't vote for Allen or Cox. Both have said that we need to repeal Prop 57 and want tougher reforms on criminals.
Patrickj (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 AM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Normally, I would have leaned towards Allen too. I also like him and have always leaned towards Republican values. However, with what's happened with my son and knowing how much we need to continue criminal justice reforms, I can't vote for Allen or Cox. Both have said that we need to repeal Prop 57 and want tougher reforms on criminals.

They may say they want to repeal Prop.57 , but Prop.57 is here to stay. What we need to watch is that new legislation or initiatives that destroy all of what progress has been made isn't destroyed.
California now is in bad shape all the way around no matter what the propaganda machine says. Is one person going to change it? No. We the people as voters need to start making our elected officials listen to us at all levels of government .I understand the need for sentencing reform and correction in some of these laws the way they are written. It isn't the Governor, who can fix everything . We presently have a State Senate and Assembly, that just work there own agenda. Writing legislation that is not even worth the paper it is written on. They want to dictate more to you and I on our own choices and freedoms. Everything comes with a fee. Fee is another word for a tax only it doesn't require as much approval as a fee. I am tired of voting for bonds for a certain project then the money gets spent bailing out some other mistake made by a prior administration. Yet you and I are stuck with paying for this Bond for the next 40 years.
gvalliant (05-27-2018), Halo527 (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:29 AM

Thanked 1,084 Times in 453 Posts

Quote:
Like you and Patrick I lean right on many things. Re our concern about criminal justice I worry about who is governor. Reforms can come from initiatives (the public). Reforms also come from legislative process. Legislators initiate and debate and vote these things. The governor, however, has more power than any of them being able to veto any legislation. The governor is the most important person, IMO, when it comes to legislative reform.

I don't know about Cox. I have heard Allen speak a couple of times in Assembly hearings I have attended. I believe what legislators say in session more reliably indicates what they think and will do then what they say in public or on the campaign trail. Allen is very tough on criminal justice; toughest I have heard in any Assembly or Senate hearing I have attended. Not that I dislike the guy. Just my observation on criminal justice issues.

Topic of this thread is this initiative. Patrick is well informed on the process, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Governor has no power over initiatives and cannot impact this if it were to pass. Governor can express his opinion which helps. I'm glad Brown is doing that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (05-27-2018), Patrickj (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:45 AM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Like you and Patrick I lean right on many things. Re our concern about criminal justice I worry about who is governor. Reforms can come from initiatives (the public). Reforms also come from legislative process. Legislators initiate and debate and vote these things. The governor, however, has more power than any of them being able to veto any legislation. The governor is the most important person, IMO, when it comes to legislative reform.

I don't know about Cox. I have heard Allen speak a couple of times in Assembly hearings I have attended. I believe what legislators say in session more reliably indicates what they think and will do then what they say in public or on the campaign trail. Allen is very tough on criminal justice; toughest I have heard in any Assembly or Senate hearing I have attended. Not that I dislike the guy. Just my observation on criminal justice issues.

Topic of this thread is this initiative. Patrick is well informed on the process, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Governor has no power over initiatives and cannot impact this if it were to pass. Governor can express his opinion which helps. I'm glad Brown is doing that.
If the Governor gets behind an initiative this usually means that he is also putting his financial support behind it . With the support of a the Governor on an initiative the party game starts also. Then you get people in the legislator getting on the ban wagon to support the initiative. Reducing Crime and Keeping California Safe Act of 2018.Is a big step backwards . It will destroy most of what little reform progress has been made so far. As a newly elected Governor, you can't just walk into the office on the first day and repeal all the laws you don't like ( like some are trying to say they will )
The pulse of the voter here in California for this election his hard to tell right now. After the primary. I think this is when things will get ugly on the initiative front. The general election in November will have more initiatives on it . If both of these initiatives get on the ballot the propaganda machine will explode trying to influence the voter.
gvalliant (05-28-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 12:31 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post

I don't know about Cox. I have heard Allen speak a couple of times in Assembly hearings I have attended. I believe what legislators say in session more reliably indicates what they think and will do then what they say in public or on the campaign trail. Allen is very tough on criminal justice; toughest I have heard in any Assembly or Senate hearing I have attended. Not that I dislike the guy. Just my observation on criminal justice

issues.

I caught a townhall between all of the candidates last week and both Cox and Allen were very tough on crime. However, I don't think it's likely with the current political climate that a democrat will win the election. Also, most of the assembly and senate are Democrat and many of these are working on criminal justice reforms, so I think this topic is here to stay.

While there will be a lot of noise about the two new initiatives, there is a lot of support (and money) against them, so I am hopeful they will not pass.
Patrickj (05-28-2018)