Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:03 PM

Default Bill Cosby-Sentenced 3 to 10 years today 09/25/2018

Wow! Being a close fan of his for years to hear this "Breaking News" today on TV.

Sentenced 3 to 10 years in State Prison. As we (ones who have been in the PA system) all know now to Phoenix (once was Graterford) and then to Camp Hill and then to "Home Prison" to serve "your" minimum.

Seems his lawyers are attempting to get him sent to "SCI Laurel Highlands" as home prison I would think because of his age and being legally blind at this point.

A lot of upcoming New News to follow.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2018, 02:20 PM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,788 Posts

IMO he should have gotten more time for the crimes he committed. But it is what it is. That's what was given to him and I'm not his judge.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:41 PM

Watched the whole thing on HLN live. Thank god he got 3-10! I heard talk of just 34 months max. I donít think his sentence is long enough, but I also donít see him even making it to the parole board. Heís an old, blind, sick man likely already living on borrowed time. Assuming they put him in PC, I wonder how heíll handle the even worse isolation because of his blindness... wonít be able to read or write letters Iím assuming.

I feel really bad for his wife. I canít imagine how traumatizing it would be to hear your husband of over 50 years has been doing disgusting things like that.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,557 Times in 11,005 Posts

Frankly, I realize the sentence was not for all the accusers, but I wish it had been more. And all the blather of "oh, he's too old for prison, he's too sick for prison, he's too this, too that" well, don't we wish all of our prisoners had been given such kind thoughts. Or any of those serving LWOP or Life with the possibility of parole in 40 years. Or those who are actually mentally ill or mortally ill and getting worse within the walls of the prison instead of getting gentle treatment on the outside.

He was a terrific con-man, able to take the role of Cliff Huxtable and use it as a shield and a lure - a lovely apple with a dragon-worm at the core.

He gets no tears from me.

His wife, on the other hand, she's clearly a victim in this as well as all the other women he duped in various ways, and I have great sympathy for her, for she will suffer horribly, wondering how he's doing, agonized by his guilt, her own blindness, the victims. She will have a really tough time, and I hope she has friends and family drawn close about her in protection and comfort.

Last edited by nimuay; 09-25-2018 at 02:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to nimuay For This Useful Post:
yuliya1991 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,622 Times in 2,836 Posts

Let's not forgot an important sentence in our Community Purpose:

"PTO is not the place to debate whether or not anyone should be in prison, should prisoners and their families have rights or what kind of punishments should be meted out to the guilty."
AndyS (09-26-2018), BearsLadyBear (09-26-2018), bobble60 (09-30-2018), choclgs (10-03-2018), LifeTraveler (09-26-2018), patchouli (09-25-2018), Sarianna (09-26-2018), waitinguntil001 (09-27-2018), xolady (10-05-2018), yourself (10-07-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 05:30 PM

I wonder how heíll be treated there. A TMZ article (I know, I know) referred to ďspecial treatmentĒ already, said COs seemed hesitant to get him off the phone with his wife or something.

Leads me to my maybe dumb question: what exactly is this ďspecial treatmentĒ you always hear about celebrities getting in the DOC? I heard Martha Stewart had a ďsuiteĒó but what does that even entail? Iíd imagine a sexually violent offender like Cosby would be way less likely to get said special treatment.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:27 AM

Let this be a learning lesson as parents, and people in general
- DO NOT HARM ONE ANOTHER, and if you have or are secretly, -IT WILL ALL COME OUT IN THE END
Old 09-28-2018, 12:41 PM

I think he deserved a much harsher sentence and i don't think Camille is a victim at all. It is her choice to turn a blind eye time after time when Bill was proven to be unfaithful (had a secret illegitimate daughter, settled sex claims quietly, etc).

She knew damn well what was going on and ignored it and acted like their marriage was perfect. It was only held together by lies and greed. Camille turned a blind eye to her husbands attacks on multiple females and feels those victims are no more than a bit of crap on her shoe to be wiped off and tossed in the trash.

It's sickening when you consider they are parents of 4 daughter. How would Camille feel about someone assaulting her daughters?

Even now Camille is in denial. She is still fighting the charges and the conviction and sentence. She feels is was all too unfair on Bill and her too. That everyone lied and it was rigged.

I'm sorry ya'll. She is still defending him after all that? She is not an innocent victim. She is an accomplice and help him cover up his deeds and helped perpetuate the fake "wholesome family man" image for decades.
The Following User Says Thank You to KarmaRocks For This Useful Post:
yuliya1991 (10-07-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuliya1991 View Post
I wonder how heíll be treated there. A TMZ article (I know, I know) referred to ďspecial treatmentĒ already, said COs seemed hesitant to get him off the phone with his wife or something.

Leads me to my maybe dumb question: what exactly is this ďspecial treatmentĒ you always hear about celebrities getting in the DOC? I heard Martha Stewart had a ďsuiteĒó but what does that even entail? Iíd imagine a sexually violent offender like Cosby would be way less likely to get said special treatment.
I know 1st hand Martha did not have a suite and in fact never expected or got special treatment. She actually blended right in and never whined or complained.

I was not a fan of hers before her arrest, but the way did her prison time truely impressed me.
xolady (10-05-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
I know 1st hand Martha did not have a suite and in fact never expected or got special treatment. She actually blended right in and never whined or complained.

I was not a fan of hers before her arrest, but the way did her prison time truely impressed me.

Huh, thatís interesting to know, kudos to her for doing her time like that.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:39 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,233 Posts

According to the DOC, Mr. Cosby is housed in a single cell on the unit adjacent to the Medical Department. This unit is somewhat unique to PHX; it was designed for those who would require "assisted living," and he certainly will. The DOC is also saying he will be classified to PHX and serve his sentence there.

Sending him through CH only to be sent either to LH or back to PHX would have been senseless. The decision to skip this step was sensible.

As Sass posted above, we are not here to judge him or the sentence. Many defendants have been fortunate to receive sentences others would deem lenient. This is the nature of our indeterminate sentencing system and the requirement that sentencing must be tailored to both the offense and the offender. FYI, the three-year minimum is over the sentencing guideline, so it can be appealed. For those who feel that three years is not enough for the crime, you can ask the Sentencing Commission to recommend a change to those guidelines.

Will Mr. Cosby endure three years? He is not the oldest inmate in PA (by ten years) and the goals of the DOC are his "care, custody and control." They will care for him. Will Mr. Cosby be granted parole at his minimum date? It's too far off to know how the PBPP will be making those decisions, but it will come down to whether or not they feel they can safely manage the "risk" he would pose in the community. (That an 81-year-old blind man poses much risk is a question for another thread.)

Appeals happen in almost 50% of convictions; why shouldn't his lawyers appeal? We should remember that appeals also set precedent. A "victory" for him could also assist many more people down the road. Whether or not Judge O'Neill committed any reversible errors will be decided by our appellate courts.

Mrs. Cosby stood by her husband just as Mrs. Clinton stood by her husband and Mrs. Kennedy stood by JFK. I think that speaks to the value of they place in their marriage vows.
patchouli (09-30-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
According to the DOC, Mr. Cosby is housed in a single cell on the unit adjacent to the Medical Department. This unit is somewhat unique to PHX; it was designed for those who would require "assisted living," and he certainly will. The DOC is also saying he will be classified to PHX and serve his sentence there.

Sending him through CH only to be sent either to LH or back to PHX would have been senseless. The decision to skip this step was sensible.

As Sass posted above, we are not here to judge him or the sentence. Many defendants have been fortunate to receive sentences others would deem lenient. This is the nature of our indeterminate sentencing system and the requirement that sentencing must be tailored to both the offense and the offender. FYI, the three-year minimum is over the sentencing guideline, so it can be appealed. For those who feel that three years is not enough for the crime, you can ask the Sentencing Commission to recommend a change to those guidelines.

Will Mr. Cosby endure three years? He is not the oldest inmate in PA (by ten years) and the goals of the DOC are his "care, custody and control." They will care for him. Will Mr. Cosby be granted parole at his minimum date? It's too far off to know how the PBPP will be making those decisions, but it will come down to whether or not they feel they can safely manage the "risk" he would pose in the community. (That an 81-year-old blind man poses much risk is a question for another thread.)

Appeals happen in almost 50% of convictions; why shouldn't his lawyers appeal? We should remember that appeals also set precedent. A "victory" for him could also assist many more people down the road. Whether or not Judge O'Neill committed any reversible errors will be decided by our appellate courts.

Mrs. Cosby stood by her husband just as Mrs. Clinton stood by her husband and Mrs. Kennedy stood by JFK. I think that speaks to the value of they place in their marriage vows.

Are you suggesting Mrs. Cosby standing by her convicted rapist husband is at all comparable to women standing by common lechery? Donít make me spit up my milk.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,954 Times in 15,117 Posts

Quote:
Are you suggesting Mrs. Cosby standing by her convicted rapist husband is at all comparable to women standing by common lechery? Don’t make me spit up my milk.
Wait a minute....we have a Loving a Sex Offender forum for a reason. Keltria posted an important announcement a couple of years ago that I'll post a couple of excerpts from:

Quote:
PTO offers support for the loved ones of those who have committed any and all crime. We do not shun you because your loved one may have killed another person, or was accused of dealing drugs, or was accused of a sex offense. No we offer support to those of loved ones who have committed any crime. We are not here to judge anyone and we don't expect our members to judge them either.
Quote:
Many of our members are the loved ones/friends/family of sex offenders, murderers, and other violent offenders. No-one, inside or outside of the fence, is any more or less deserving of love and support than another.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=694498

Mrs. Cosby would be more than welcome here. After all, we're ALL standing by someone, regardless of their crime.

EDIT: FYI: My Mr is a sex offender.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 10-01-2018 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: cleaning up sp / spacing / punctuation etc
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (10-07-2018), choclgs (10-03-2018), Itshardtowait (10-15-2018), LifeTraveler (10-05-2018), Sarianna (10-04-2018), sass4221 (10-01-2018), Sunnielg (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Wait a minute....we have a Loving a Sex Offender forum for a reason. Keltria posted an important announcement a couple of years ago that I'll post a couple of excerpts from:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=694498

Mrs. Cosby would be more than welcome here. After all, we're ALL standing by someone, regardless of their crime.

EDIT: FYI: My Mr is a sex offender.

That wasnít my point. Iím not suggesting sheís any less deserving of understanding because her husband is a sex offender. But Iím not going to apologize for pointing out thereís a difference between a man whoís a convicted serial rapist and one whoís guilty of cheating. Mrs Cosby wasnít even the crux of my comment, but rather bobble60ís implication that a cheating husband and a serial sex offender husband are in comparable situations. This is the Pennsylvania forum anyway. But okay.

Last edited by yuliya1991; 10-05-2018 at 12:53 AM..
Old 10-07-2018, 07:34 AM

PTO Moderator 

I made no implication except to support any spouse who holds to their wedding vows. for that, I respect Mrs. Cosby just as I respect Mrs. Clinton and anyone else who loves their spouse "in sickness and in health, in good times and bad, until death do them part."

There are no disposable people. Family and friends support those convicted of crimes -- that's what PTO is all about. I praise Mrs. Cosby and all those who stand with those they love during incarceration. I am an advocate, and my ability to advocate is enhanced by the support these people show.

We're not here to judge Mr. Cosby and we would gladly welcome Mrs. Cosby.
LifeTraveler (10-07-2018), patchouli (10-07-2018), Sarianna (10-07-2018), sass4221 (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 08:56 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Are you suggesting Mrs. Cosby standing by her convicted rapist husband is at all comparable to women standing by common lechery? Donít make me spit up my milk.
Quote:
That wasnít my point. Iím not suggesting sheís any less deserving of understanding because her husband is a sex offender. But Iím not going to apologize for pointing out thereís a difference between a man whoís a convicted serial rapist and one whoís guilty of cheating. Mrs Cosby wasnít even the crux of my comment, but rather bobble60ís implication that a cheating husband and a serial sex offender husband are in comparable situations. This is the Pennsylvania forum anyway. But okay.
Let me try this again, perhaps I can address your point after all

Yes, Mrs. Cosby standing by convicted husband is comparable to other women standing by their convicted husbands (or other loved one). Not only is she comparable, she is equal to every other woman standing by someone they love.

How'd I do? Does that address your point? I certainly hope so

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (10-07-2018), LifeTraveler (10-07-2018), sass4221 (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:16 AM

No sin is any bigger than another!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (10-07-2018), patchouli (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Let me try this again, perhaps I can address your point after all

Yes, Mrs. Cosby standing by convicted husband is comparable to other women standing by their convicted husbands (or other loved one). Not only is she comparable, she is equal to every other woman standing by someone they love.

How'd I do? Does that address your point? I certainly hope so

Itís all good if you disagree. What I take issue with is that you seem to be expressing yourself in a way that makes it seem like youíre taking the moral high ground and itís inconceivable anyone could feel otherwiseó that a convicted serial rapist is morally equivalent to a cheater. Iím coming from the perspective of a three time sexual assault survivor, so thatís wrapped up in my feelings toward this. I do believe everyone deserves love and understanding, and it is ďromanticĒ if you will, to stay by someoneís side through thick and thin, in a crisis situation such as this. But I canít help but find it sad. I donít think anyone deserves punishment, especially Mrs Cosby. I donít think anyone is evil or wholly bad. People are so much more than that. Iím sure most of us are pro-rehabilitation here and I wish that was feasible for everyone whoís committed crimes.

So, I apologize if I came off as an offensive hard ass, but in my opinion thereís a difference between a man who cheats and a man who continuously sexually assaults people. Itís alright if that doesnít jive with everyone, but Iím not going to suppress my opinion simply because some donít agree.

And I do understand that coming from a Christian perspective (not saying you are), no sin is greater than any other, and other posters have expressed that here. Thatís a concept I wish I could hold myself, but itís very very hard as a sexual assault victim.

Last edited by yuliya1991; 10-07-2018 at 02:22 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yuliya1991 For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (10-07-2018), patchouli (10-07-2018), Sarianna (10-08-2018), sass4221 (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 03:29 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

I too am a sexual assault survivor (molestation, age 10 -12). It took me a long, long, time, about 40 years, to learn how to forgive. And I didn't do it for him. I did it for me. I could not wholly love My Mr if I couldn't get past and forgive my molester. Mr My was incarcerated on drug changes when we met.....when we fell in love, he knew he had to tell me about his previous (served out) sex offense. I was literally sick, for days. My conclusion was that I was not going to let my molester have the power to color my life with hate & disdain. I separated the offense from offender. Its possible to hate the offense and still love the offender. Anywho, that's where my perspective comes from.

Nah, we don't have to agree....debate is healthy, provided its civil. I don't begrudge anyone their opinion. Shoot, I had a "healthy debate" with a Republican yesterday LOL I told 'em I wouldn't hold it (being a Republican) against 'em and they said the same about me being a Democrat

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (10-07-2018), Sarianna (10-08-2018), sass4221 (10-07-2018), yuliya1991 (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I too am a sexual assault survivor (molestation, age 10 -12). It took me a long, long, time, about 40 years, to learn how to forgive. And I didn't do it for him. I did it for me. I could not wholly love My Mr if I couldn't get past and forgive my molester. Mr My was incarcerated on drug changes when we met.....when we fell in love, he knew he had to tell me about his previous (served out) sex offense. I was literally sick, for days. My conclusion was that I was not going to let my molester have the power to color my life with hate & disdain. I separated the offense from offender. Its possible to hate the offense and still love the offender. Anywho, that's where my perspective comes from.

Nah, we don't have to agree....debate is healthy, provided its civil. I don't begrudge anyone their opinion. Shoot, I had a "healthy debate" with a Republican yesterday LOL I told 'em I wouldn't hold it (being a Republican) against 'em and they said the same about me being a Democrat

Iím so sorry you had to go through that. Iím sure you know this but youíre a really strong person for pushing through it and not letting what someone did to you ruin the potential for love. Thatís a really powerful thing and I admire it deeply. Iíve only forgiven my abusers recently, I can only hope they change and treat others right like they didnít do to me. By and large I wish them well, but I do have my burst of distain toward them. Itís a long hard process us survivors go through.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yuliya1991 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (10-07-2018), Sarianna (10-08-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 07:31 AM

PTO Moderator 

I respect the differences of opinion here and would encourage this discussion continue in a new thread, perhaps in the LASO forum. This thread has drifted off-topic.
nimuay (10-14-2018), Sarianna (10-15-2018)