Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Default Cell Phone Availability

I'm not sure this is the right place for this but seems to be the best place for it. Mods, no harm no foul if you feel the need to relocate this.

How do I find out what jails and prisons allow inmates to have cell phones, and how do the inmates get them, and how is the service paid for?

I'm doins a research project on inmates and families ability and access to communicate with each other and the impact that has on outcomes. So I don't need info on just a single facility. I need as many as I can get, ideally all, in the categories of county jails, state facilities and federal facilities. Boot camps as well as closed campus facilities. So, any ideas where this information is hiding?

Thanks
Keith
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,027 Times in 7,142 Posts

No prison (at least in the U.S.) permits inmates to have cell phones, the only variant is how stiff the penalty....in some systems, having a cell phone is a policy infraction and punishable by various internal disciplinary measures (loss of privileges, time in the hole, loss of accrued good time credits, etc) and in some systems it's an actual felony and punishable as such.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (06-08-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,353 Posts

everywhere I've heard would never be given cell phones I also don't think it would really ever happen due to the fact it would cause lots of security issues that would be out of control. So I'm sure your research of finding info will be limited. But if you learn that some places do have that please let me know because I would be very interested. Hope you get the answers your looking for best of luck!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
I Smell Shenanigans

Thanked 2,372 Times in 1,117 Posts

This is a KNOWN fact that inmates are NOT allowed cell phones in any state jail or prison facility.

Rest In Peace Chad. I LOVE YOU and I MISS YOU!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipsyDoodle
This is a KNOWN fact that inmates are NOT allowed cell phones in any state jail or prison facility.
Well, it's not as "KNOWN" as one might think, Especially since I see dudes on several social networks accessing them via cell phones almost daily. They advertise the fact that they are on a cell phone, and other information the various websites provide validate their claims. So, now that we have established that is isn't as known as you think, it seems I have stumbled on another reason to disbelieve the correctional system can ever rehabilitate someone. When I saw this, I had the thoughts that an inmate with a cell phone would be a massive security risk, on several levels. I had a brief chat with a person who should know better, and he told me "different prisons have different rules" and "I don't have any idea who allows what". I found his words curious.
Are cell phones even allowed in an inmates possession? Common sense says no. Several people here say no. My acquaintance says dunno. The reality says that it happens, like many other things, in the face of the rules. Which is sad. In some circumstances I can see where an inmate with a cell would enhance security. Nd family connections. Not that I am advocating the risk, but like everything, there may be a place for it.
Hmmm. The more I learn about all this the more I think the best thing to do is free the inmates and lock up the assholes running the system.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBeau
No prison (at least in the U.S.) permits inmates to have cell phones, the only variant is how stiff the penalty....in some systems, having a cell phone is a policy infraction and punishable by various internal disciplinary measures (loss of privileges, time in the hole, loss of accrued good time credits, etc) and in some systems it's an actual felony and punishable as such.
I'm not questions your words, I believe you, but I am a researcher so I am compelled to verify any information. I know it's hard to prove a negative, but can you point me to where your information comes from? Short of asking every Sheriff and Warden in the USA, is there a reasonable way to verify your assertion?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,353 Posts

I think it's clear that people do it because we see things like that often but my guess it's brought in like other things. I'm sure the prison is not like would you like a cell phone for your cell or would you like to buy phone time. Yes some places may lack in rules but they will wake up real soon when something strikes in front of them. Sad to say
Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,027 Times in 7,142 Posts

By all means, contact the Federal BOP and any random assortment of state and county correctional agencies you like but the answer will remain the same: No U.S. facility allows inmates to have cell phones and the phones that are in the facilities are there illegally/in violation of policy. Inmates who are using them to access social media and such and bragging about it are simply excercising very poor judgement by violation the terms of their incarceration and then being quite indiscrete about it.
And if you don't care to accept the answers given by non-official sources, why have you chosen to ask in a non-official venue?

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (06-08-2011), Snowwolf (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Don't misunderstand me. I accepted your information, but as a researcher, I have to validate everything. The one time I didn't validate a source before I spoke about it, I was made a fool in front of 450 people for being misinformed. Not a mistake I am willing to make a second time. As for "non-official" sources, well, information comes from many sources, and being "official" doesn't mean I blindly trust it either. I like what Reagan had for policy. "Trust but verify". It worked for diplomaticaffairs, and it works for research.

I was thinking there was a report or study you had seen and could point me to, that was all I meant. If I have to do a random sample of facilities to find out then that's what it will take. It's just faster to validate a study or experience already documented.

Thanks
Keith