Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:21 PM

Default Introduction: ASPC Lewis - Stiner

Hello All. I've been visiting the forums for months (10 actually) while my son was in County but now that he's finally been assigned to ASPC Lewis - Stiner, I thought I'd join up since he was sentenced to 6 years. I'm totally freaked out that he was given 3/3 (non-violent, non-repetitive). And of course, I haven't seen a lot of good things about Stiner. I'll take the rest of my pity party over to the Parents of Incarcerated Children, but can anyone ease my mind about Stiner? Like his mama, my son "ain't no daisy" but I have a feeling that's going to cause him more trouble. Also, does anyone know the approved book shippers? Had no trouble with Amazon at County but...it's a whole new world, eh?
The Following User Says Thank You to aint_no_daisy For This Useful Post:
maytayah (10-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

I replied to your other post...but I'll leave a note here. You won't find much good about any facility. It's prison. There's drugs and violence everywhere from 2 yards to max, no different than the streets. But just like being on the streets, if your son wants to do good and avoid all the bad, he can! He just has to put his mind to it.

As far as book distributors, Amazon is a no. Check out this thread for what people have had success with.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:02 AM
Account Closed

Hi there. I use Barnes and Noble without issue. My partner is at Barchey and is also a 3/3. He has spent many years in Max and Close too though. As Sinir.Fridyrr says, drugs and violence are rife throughout all yards. My man (mostly) stays out of trouble. He refuses to become an addict so doesn’t do drugs. He works as many hours as he can, exercises and just keeps mostly to himself. He is doing 25 to Life and as with life on the outside, the time is what he makes of it.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:06 PM

I 2nd what was written - my guy in the past use to find trouble no problem but he was looking this time around he took a different approach and actively avoids it at all costs and succeeds - this coming from a man who thought it would be impossible to bc he thought hisbpast would follow him everywhere but he sees it can be done it's a choice. He reads, worked hard to get a job and works as much as possible and it's easier to get a job staying out of trouble, works out a lot, draws and writes, cleans, etc oh and watches a lot of sports or plays them when he can. I use Walmart or target to send books mainly bc some places were iffy on Barnes n noble I heard so that's what I've used... I also have sent a lot of mags and he made good use of the library for books too...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-20-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 07:21 PM

Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks everyone. Got a short letter from ARTC today. He seemed in good spirits - did well on his tests. Tried Target for his books but they said they couldn't send it to that address - maybe because of the PO box? Was able to get an order through on Walmart but certainly do miss the 2 day free shipping from Amazon Prime. I hope they get through because he did a lot of reading in County (locked down ALOT) and it was good for him. Praying they give him a job sooner rather than later.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Don't count on him getting a job any time soon as a phase one at Stiner. There are WAY more inmates than there are jobs and the higher phases are given preference sadly. Keep sending books to keep him occupied and hopefully he can get into some classes to pass the time.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:19 PM

Default Another letter

Got the first letter from Stiner. Sounds like he wasn't assigned any Edu or Cte programming because he passed all his tests (no functional literacy - he has a high school diploma). Is it worth it to try for the online classes from Rio? He's hoping to be reclassified and moved in 6 months.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

I'm not aware of any online classes, he would need to talk to his CO3 about that. I know some people doing correspondence courses through Rio.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:50 PM

Default Thanks - that's what I meant

Yes, correspondence classes, not online.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 PM

Default 6 week update -

Well, it's officially been 6 weeks since I filed my background check and still no word. Does anyone know if I'll just cause more problems if I call and check on it? I promised myself I would wait patiently for the 60 days. I would really like to be able to see him Thanksgiving weekend. I couldn't stand it and drove down to Buckeye this past weekend anyway just so I could "get the lay of the land" so to speak. I'm sending him cards and he's written but I can't really tell how's he's doing without seeing him.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

There's no harm in calling...but it probably won't speed things up either
aint_no_daisy (11-09-2017)
Old 02-01-2018, 03:55 AM
Question Authority!

My husband was just transferred, AGAIN! He was in Lewis Morey and then to Florence North, then to Kingman and now back to Lewis but this time Stiner! All in just a few months!! They are making me dizzy! Florence was closest since I am in Tucson but on the bright side, Lewis is closer then Kingman!! He likes Lewis better then Kingman also! He says Stiner is more his type of yard but he's trying to be good. :-) He better! I want to visit him as soon as I can.
maytayah (02-17-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjay View Post
My husband was just transferred, AGAIN! He was in Lewis Morey and then to Florence North, then to Kingman and now back to Lewis but this time Stiner! All in just a few months!! They are making me dizzy! Florence was closest since I am in Tucson but on the bright side, Lewis is closer then Kingman!! He likes Lewis better then Kingman also! He says Stiner is more his type of yard but he's trying to be good. :-) He better! I want to visit him as soon as I can.
I hope he settles in well at Stiner It's far easier to stay out of trouble elsewhere but it sounds like he probably knows what he's doing.
maytayah (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjay View Post
Hi What has been your husband's experience with the integration issues?
The Following User Says Thank You to Annette1 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:38 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

There's a thread about it here http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=699553

Stiner will begin March 1st. So far it's just preparation.