Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Michigan prison Visitation, Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's sub-forum category.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 PM

Post MDOC Phone Information/Issues/Contacts/Email

I sent out an email but received no reply. Ive heard rumors, and I stress rumors because I have not found any info to prove or disprove it, (If anyone else has please let us know)it has been said that there is something in the works for the 2011 2012 appropriations bill. I have seen the app bill on the website but nothing that states anything specific to this issue. That doesnt mean it isnt in the works. I am going to resend the email to see if I can get some sort of answer so that people have some hope. Im really tired of giving these people my money and I think it is even crappier that no one has the respect for us family members to even provide some sort of update.

If anyone wants to send the email below, maybe that will get some answers..worth a shot..Ive updated it and I am sending it out again as well.

To Whom It May Concern,

In addition to the former email sent requesting an update on the issue surrounding the contract with PCS and the subsequent rate increase, I am now hoping to quell new rumors that are circulating regarding this issue. There is much hearsay on what is happening with the contract, the new appropriations bill and how it will effect the phone rates, if at all. I speak for myself and many of the families as we are really feeling the financial sting of the new rate increases. In addition to two vistitation days being cut statewide, the phone calls are now decreasing for many, meaning less contact with their loved ones. The phone calls at reasonable rates will be increasingly important during the winter months when weather makes travel around the state less frequent.

Below is the email that was sent a few days ago reagarding unanswered questions and I am hoping that someone will consider responding to these families and loved ones who are desperate for information.

The last action that was taken on this issue that I am aware of, involved the SB138 which had no bearing on changing the phone rates. I speak on behalf of many who are curious as to what is currently being done to resolve the issue.

Few questions that are still lingering:

1. What is in the works at this time to lower the costs of the phone rates?
2. Will there be any changes in regards to prisoner phone rates in the 2011-2012 appropriations?
3. Does the language in the SB138 that removes the special equipment clause have any impact on the 2011-2012 appropriations?
4. There have been varying rumors about who is ultimately in control of whether or not this deal with PCS remains enforceable, who is/are the points of contact on this issue?

There are many more questions indeed, but the questions above seem to be in the forefront of people's minds.

Please advise.

I am not able to list links here so I cant give email address very well..so i hope this helps..I couldnt put the .com or .gov or the @ hahah

maybe some nice folk can do that ...

blevine(at)cablespeed com
nholbrook(at)afsc org
DTMB (at) michigan.gov
kayperry (at)aol com
pmartel(at)afsc org
john.cordell(at) micorrections org
JosephHavemen (at) house.mi.gov
SenJProos (at) senate.michigan.gov
marlanrl(at)michigan.gov
grovesc(at) michigan.gov

In addition to that, the VOD net has two new articles published. If you scroll through the links on the right side of their home page, links 6 and 7 are on the phone rates.
In addition, another article "GOLIATH" was posted by LincolnDidntLie on Broowaha.

If anyone gets any return info from any emails sent out, please let me know..thanks all !!

Last edited by mysacrifice; 08-03-2011 at 11:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mysacrifice For This Useful Post:
pinay19 (08-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2011, 05:14 AM

I just got my bill. It went up from something like .12 a min to .20 a min. He rarely calls anymore. I think for us this has gone to far. It isn't worth giving up his phone calls to save a couple of bucks.

June23 8 min $1.60
June24 15 min $3.00
June27 13 min $2.60
July13 6 min $1.20

total $8.40
Old 08-04-2011, 06:33 AM

Usually our son calls 2 X a week we have set aside when he knows we will be home. But he knows he can call when ever he wants - if he needs to talk. Besides I like whenever he calls so I can hear his voice and know he ok !
As for the issue of this thread -
- We just got our phone bill this week so we must have cut down some since the correctional billing portion was $20 less than last month. This bill had 1 call on it from PCS that was $3.00 for 15 minutes as compared to the $1.80 for Embarq. He is still doing collect for us and using a debit card for his girlfriend.
- not impressed with PCS.....the lead in voice is longer, than after I push "0" there is more lead in voice ( last night I looked and it was 30 seconds from the time I answered the phone till I heard my sons voice-are those 30 seconds part of my precious 15 minutes , more monitoring cut ins, when it says 1 minute left it cuts off in about 20-30 seconds.
- Since Gus switched over in mid July for the first several weeks the caller id showed PCS when he called; but all of a sudden the last 2 days it has showed up as Toll Free, with different numbers. We don't answer toll free numbers and found out when my son used the debit card and called me on my cell phone that we had been ignoring him. Anyone else have their calls show up as toll free - very annoying do not like that at all !!!
- when I wrote my original letter to about 10 folks, one was the MDOC director and I did get a letter back this week. Later when I get back from visiting I will post what was in that letter for everyone. Nothing more then there explanations of why they did what they had to do.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:40 AM

My calls also switched to the 800 # instead of PCS i was also ignoring the calls and I was very upset when I learned i was ignoring my love. I do not like this new phone system at all praying for change...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 AM

I noticed a switch to a toll free # yesterday after rejecting the same # 2 times the 3rd time I decided to answer and it was guy (smh). We've cut our talk time drastically as well. I don't think the lead in voice is counted in the 15 minutes but seems the 1 minute warning would be. His funds were just transferred to the PCS account this past Friday (nearly 1 1/2 months) after the switch (smh).

To everyone hang in there and be encouraged!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Crawlin thru the wreckage

Yes to the toll-free # issue. I finally talked to him tonight and we also do not answer toll-free. I wondered why I had 3 vm messages the past 3 nights, saying he tried to call.

This is just so irritating and cumbersome, the whole thing. We would like to add a cell phone to his account, but we don't have the money to fund yet another account besides the one we have.

I'm not even going to send any money to fund it further. I am going to send him money and he can put it on his debit card. I'm just beyond annoyed. I can't access my account online because all the emails that I send PCS to set up the online account are returned as undeliverable and I've tried it from several email accounts. The cust svc reps at PCS can't help with online accounts and they say they have to send emails to tech support, also. There is no ph# for tech support. I just gave up. No one there listens to me - I just hear the same thing over and over.

I just don't need another headache. I want it to be easy, like it used to be. *vent*

Old 08-06-2011, 09:47 AM

the lead in voice IS counted as the time(well after you hit 0). i had 24 cents on the account the other day and figured like secus tech we could talk for a minute and let him know the next day i was putting $ on account. It went through the whole speech after i hit 0 and then went blank. checked my account later and it was deducted from balance. so either we are charged or it is a connection fee(which i was actually told one time when i called to bitch about something else that calls were $3 plus a 20 cent connection fee) which according to the contract there is not suppose to be a connection fee !!!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 AM

I always check my cell phone after I hang up and it usually says the talk time is between 15:25 and 15:45 so the time does count but it seems like they're giving that amount back....hate the new rates but I haven't had any other problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Troy'sfriend For This Useful Post:
pinay19 (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 PM

OK so I called and set up a prepaid account last night because they never sent his money up front to be processed and after the 4th day of waiting for the money to go on the phone it came back to him.... BUT anyhow that is why I set up an account on my end now to the whole new number thing.

I asked the guy last night while setting up my pin number why there was a new number and he said it was because in Michigan there are so many prisons and the number they had was getting over loaded and the guys were getting busy signals. So the 888 number is now the new number for Michigan inmates only.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 PM

What new 888#??? I am so confused. Don't know what I am supposed to do!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Are you guys using the 855-466-2832 daily dial number?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 PM

I don't understand what's going on. I sent a money order July 27th and they tell me 7-10 business days. So I waited and yesterday I was told they should have it posted by this morning and if not, call back. I have such a difficult time getting thru but I called again this morning and got the run around. He said he would check and hold on and said they hav e a processing time and he can't find anything from me and I got disconnected. I tried several time this afternoon and finally got thru and was told that it hasn't been 10 days and I said it is past that so I said maybe tonight and tole me to call 855-466-2832.eanwhile my son can't call. I also for the credit card and don't want to use it.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 AM

an update about PCS. I called back like I was told and someone said they will look for it and it should bed posted by the end of the day, but it wasn't. I called that 855 466-2832 this morning and it was a recording asking if I want to use credit card and I hung up and called PCS and when I finally got someone to talk to he said it takes 30 days. I was angry and told him I was lied to. I asked why so long and he said they wait for information. My husband said maybe I should send another message and tell them we might have to see a lawyer and then maybe they will look for it. How frustrating this is.My son said it takes about a week for him to ge a debit card.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryblocks View Post
an update about PCS. I called back like I was told and someone said they will look for it and it should bed posted by the end of the day, but it wasn't. I called that 855 466-2832 this morning and it was a recording asking if I want to use credit card and I hung up and called PCS and when I finally got someone to talk to he said it takes 30 days. I was angry and told him I was lied to. I asked why so long and he said they wait for information. My husband said maybe I should send another message and tell them we might have to see a lawyer and then maybe they will look for it. How frustrating this is.My son said it takes about a week for him to ge a debit card.
I sent a money order on the 1st and it was credited on the 9th. call the tracking number on the money order at least you will know it's still out there somewhere and not credited to a wrong account
Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM

thank you. How did get it done so fast. They keep saying 7-12 business days and this morning I was told 30 days because he was waiting for information. Anyway, I'm glad you got it credit quickly.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Small update
I went to the bank and she said it wasn't cashed yet shortly after that I got a call saying it was just cashed.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryblocks View Post
I don't understand what's going on. I sent a money order July 27th and they tell me 7-10 business days. So I waited and yesterday I was told they should have it posted by this morning and if not, call back. I have such a difficult time getting thru but I called again this morning and got the run around. He said he would check and hold on and said they hav e a processing time and he can't find anything from me and I got disconnected. I tried several time this afternoon and finally got thru and was told that it hasn't been 10 days and I said it is past that so I said maybe tonight and tole me to call 855-466-2832.eanwhile my son can't call. I also for the credit card and don't want to use it.
Same here - I sent in a money order a couple weeks ago and it is still not credited to my account, so he can't call. I think I will cancel PCS after this and just get charged through AT&T. My neighbors are doing this. They don't have to send any money up front and it is $3.00 for the collect call. Anyone else just get billed through AT&T?
Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved. Acts 16:31
The Following User Says Thank You to G'sMom For This Useful Post:
Mrs.Wallace5 (09-06-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM

i called yesterday and today and it is not in his account. I was told before that they cannot open my account. Yes I have a block on my phone. He is up in the up and we cannot travel that far t oo often. Maybe it is time we do what the MDOC wants. Forget them so they keep them there and make sure they stay. When I say me I am referring to my husband and myself. I would be interested in info on AT&T
Old 08-31-2011, 09:09 AM

Well, I just called and he finally asked who I made the MO out to. I said PCS (I was told this when I called in). He said it had to be made out to AT&T Telecom. He has no idea where my MO is...I can't find anywhere on their page that says who to make it out to (which is why I called in the first place). I sent it to PCS in Alabama...but now I suppose they will just use this as an excuse so they won't tell me where my money is. Probably to force me to pay their high fees and post $ online. I got a Western Union MO through the bank and it would cost $15 just to see what happened to it. So now I guess I wait and hope it shows up. Meanwhile I will end up having to send another MO to him so he can at least get a debit card to call....SIGH*
Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved. Acts 16:31
Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM

I get my certified cashers check at the bank. Last month I went there and they tracked it and said it was thee. They didn't charge me anything. I made it out to PSC just like i was told to do and all the other information. Now they did this again and i am going back to the bank tomorrow if it isn't there. The kind lady at the back told me they like to sit on them.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 PM

typing error. I mean the lady at the bank