Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Texas prison & criminal justice system.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflow View Post
Anyone know if they also allow renewing vows? We got married by proxy, but it would be simplier if we had our vows renewed and had a "regular" marriage license.
We were hoping for the same, but choochamy is right, the answer is no. And we're not divorcing just so we can jump through another TDCJ hoop and be "properly" married! The time frames they give in the document would make it really hard to plan a marriage from overseas.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2015, 04:24 PM

as long as the paper work gets approved and the officiant , fills out the form they need to and gets approved , they will allow the marriage. we have started ours
Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrys_Babygirl View Post
as long as the paper work gets approved and the officiant , fills out the form they need to and gets approved , they will allow the marriage. we have started ours
Not if the inmate is already married; the TDCJ policy clearly states that the inmate must be classified as "single" when the application is submitted. If the couple were married by proxy, then they would have to divorce and wait for the inmate's status to revert to "single" before applying to be married again within TDCJ.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:42 AM

Staff Superstar Winner Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,578 Times in 1,813 Posts

How does renewing vows even work in general? If you want to "change" your marriage from by proxy to "regular" marriage, how does it work in the outside world?

Que Fácil Es Amarte
Four years and I'm still wearing the smile you gave me

Check out our

Weekly Postcard Swap 2015

Old 04-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Anyone know if they also allow renewing vows? We got married by proxy, but it would be simplier if we had our vows renewed and had a "regular" marriage license.
Sunflow, what do you mean by a 'regular' marriage licence?
I was married by proxy and nowhere on the marriage certificate does it say about it being a proxy wedding.
The Following User Says Thank You to coachy1 For This Useful Post:
Lucky's Wifey (04-26-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 11:48 AM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachy1 View Post
Sunflow, what do you mean by a 'regular' marriage licence?
I was married by proxy and nowhere on the marriage certificate does it say about it being a proxy wedding.
It does on mine, on the other side of it, it says the name of the one standing as proxy

Que Fácil Es Amarte

Check out our

Old 04-13-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
It does on mine, on the other side of it, it says the name of the one standing as proxy
Oh I see. I guess I was lucky with where I got married.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
How does renewing vows even work in general? If you want to "change" your marriage from by proxy to "regular" marriage, how does it work in the outside world?
You have to have an official wedding ceremony, if your own marriage is not recognised by your home country. Proxy weddings are not recognised by the UK government, so hubby and I would have to marry face-to-face for it to be legal here. We're considering doing that in a different county to the one we were originally married in, but we're not in any hurry.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:27 PM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmiles View Post
You have to have an official wedding ceremony, if your own marriage is not recognised by your home country. Proxy weddings are not recognised by the UK government, so hubby and I would have to marry face-to-face for it to be legal here. We're considering doing that in a different county to the one we were originally married in, but we're not in any hurry.
Finland did recognise our marriage, so we are officially married here too. The only thing is that I heard some states don't recognise proxy weddings?

Que Fácil Es Amarte

Check out our

Old 04-14-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmiles View Post
This is not correct.
Whilst the UK do not allow proxy weddings, they do recognise as valid and legal those marriages that took place where they were legally allowed at the time the wedding took place.

Last edited by coachy1; 04-14-2015 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to coachy1 For This Useful Post:
airmiles (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachy1 View Post
This is not correct.
Whilst the UK do not allow proxy weddings, they do recognise as valid and legal those marriages that took place where they were legally allowed at the time the wedding took place.
I'm happy to be corrected, but I would hate for someone to get the wrong impression and think that this was a simple process.

I read the Guardian article last year that stated what you repeat here, but that is not strictly the correct interpretation. The UK will recognise a proxy marriage if BOTH parties were resident in a country that legally recognises the proxy marriage. In most cases with inmates and European nationals, the marriage would not be automatically recognised because the European national was not resident in the US at the time.

Point 2.5.1 in this document refers to that: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...0/marriage.pdf

Point 2.3 also states that the marriage is presumed legal if the couple then go on to live together as married. "However, this is a rebuttable presumption and, if we have sufficient evidence to conclude that the marriage is not valid in our law, we may properly refute a claim or refuse an application based on that marriage." Clearly, where one party is an inmate, this "living together as married" cannot happen.

Proxy marriages are usually referred to the NPSCU (EOP2) for further investigation.

Section 13 of the document does not cover the specific situation of most proxy weddings between UK nationals and US inmates, in as much as the UK national is actually in the US at the time of the wedding. The document refers to instances where the UK national is still in the UK, and the wedding takes place with a proxy as a stand in for the UK national, which as I understand it could only now happen in Montana. Because the specific situation is not covered, and because of the previous statements of the document in section 2, it is highly unlikely for a proxy wedding to be taken at face value by the UK authorities and accepted without further investigation as a legal marriage.

And proxy weddings are generally not enough for immigration purposes if you want to live in the US.

In any case, the services of a good immigration lawyer would be required I think.

It does make me chuckle when authorites refer to these as "marriages of convenience" - there is nothing convenient about this at all!