Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Expecting to be sentenced to 20 months in an Oregon prison.

I am assuming that I will be getting a 20 month prison sentence. How much time do you think I will actually serve? I would be going to an Oregon prison...I'm really scared and anxious about the thought of going to prison. Never been. Also, is getting a job fairly easy??? Or is on a seniority ladder???
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,303 Times in 2,353 Posts

Hello Shar,

I have moved your post over to the Oregon-specific area. You may find that you get answers more specific to the prison system you are being sentenced to over here.

Someone may have some information that is contrary to what I was able to find online, but this may be a good starting point.

According to the Secretary of State's website, this is the available information in terms of what sort of good conduct credit time you may be eligible for.

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/...VrsnRsn=254956

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/...eVrsnRsn=39709

From the second link: "(3) Earned Time Credits: Sentence reduction credits (days), up to 30 percent of the sentence imposed, that can be earned by an inmate sentenced under sentencing guidelines, pursuant to ORS 421.121, and these rules."

So based on that, you would be eligible for up to 30% off the time to serve. I'm not sure how Oregon calculates time, but if it's anything like California's calculation system, the simplest way to think of it would be 20 months * .70 (that's a 30 percent reduction) = 14 months to serve, assuming all requirements for sentence reduction days are met and disciplinary action does not result in time being extended toward your max-out date (which would be the end of 20 months.)

There may be additional time to be earned based on the information in that second document, but I'm not familiar with how, exactly, that would work for Oregon.

Good luck to you.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-14-2019), safran (08-14-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 12:35 PM

I am assuming you are a woman and if so you will be at Coffee Creek. Jobs are pretty plentiful there. Coffee creek is also the intake hub for the men to do their processing before being sent out to a prison. I have heard the women do work to keep the intake part going as well (laundry and cooking but separate from the men). From what I have heard if you just go do your time and mind your business you will be fine. There are more people on here from Oregon that will probably have advice as well. Good luck!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the links. Hopefully, I can get some information from them. Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,253 Times in 3,226 Posts

What will you be going in for? More specifically, is it a Measure 73?

Some crimes do not allow good time release at all in Oregon.