Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettim View Post
I emailed th Public Affairs officer in Forrest City Low, he/she answered me - say I could bring Medications in original bottles/boxes, + prescriptions - Cash or Money Order and my address list with me, no clothes or shoes can be kept, will donate them. - I made up a envelope q/money order which I will send a few days before I SS. WU online is $9.95 for debi cards = unless you use a bank account, then it's cheaper. but I wouldn't trust that route.
My car is connected to my WU account and I just have to put my code in each time I send.

I wouldnt count on the cash. My husband went in with a $20 bill. At the time we didn't know our son would walk in with him so I figured I wouldn't lose but 20. At any rate they handed that back to my son saying he couldn't have it and gave him a paper on how to send money to Iowa or through WU (all which I knew already). We had also been told no medicine so my husband didnt take his either but you could try.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,691 Times in 13,059 Posts

Like much of what happens in the bop, it depends on who you are dealing with. I took prescription meds with me when I was remanded by my sentencing judge, but they were confiscated. I asked for them to be sent home since there was serious money involved. The bop answer, prescriptions can not be sent in the US Mail. My reply was that is how I got them, through the US Mail from the VA. My opinion is that the COs either had a party, and/or found a way to sell my medications.

I also took money with me, it eventually made it to my inmate account, which somewhat surprised me, but not for more than 3 weeks later.

The initial RX medications will be determined by the medical person during the original triage in R&D, (receiving & discharge) and will be dispensed by the prison pharmacy. A call-out for a meeting with one of the physician's assistants will be scheduled in about a week, which is when the actual ongoing prescriptions will be decided. Any medications that are sold in the commissary have to be purchased, but do not count towards the monthly commissary spending limit.

You can fund your inmate account by sending a US Postal money order (any other money orders are held for 15 days) to the lock box in Des Moines, IA, before you self surrender, or through Western Union. That way you will have funds available when you are able to use them. Some prisons allow new prisoners to shop out of sequence by writing "first time shopper" on the commissary order sheet.
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money
Old 10-16-2019, 05:54 PM

I should also point out that when you get your commissary sheet some areas will say how many you can get in each category. For example my husband was given shower shoes and boots when he went in. A few weeks later his shower shoes broke and he needed sneakers but he couldn't get both the same week through the commissary.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:13 AM

[quote=fbopnomore;7798137]Like much of what happens in the bop, it depends on who you are dealing with. I took prescription meds with me when I was remanded by my sentencing judge, but they were confiscated. I asked for them to be sent home since there was serious money involved. The bop answer, prescriptions can not be sent in the US Mail. My reply was that is how I got them, through the US Mail from the VA. My opinion is that the COs either had a party, and/or found a way to sell my medications.

I also took money with me, it eventually made it to my inmate account, which somewhat surprised me, but not for more than 3 weeks later.

The initial RX medications will be determined by the medical person during the original triage in R&D, (receiving & discharge) and will be dispensed by the prison pharmacy. A call-out for a meeting with one of the physician's assistants will be scheduled in about a week, which is when the actual ongoing prescriptions will be decided. Any medications that are sold in the commissary have to be purchased, but do not count towards the monthly commissary spending limit.

You can fund your inmate account by sending a US Postal money order (any other money orders are held for 15 days) to the lock box in Des Moines, IA, before you self surrender, or through Western Union. That way you will have funds available when you are able to use them. Some prisons allow new prisoners to shop out of sequence by writing "first time shopper" on the commissary order sheet.

I think I'll go with the money order rather than cash, its safer seeing they will pbly just send it to the lock box anyway. Tks for the tips
Old 10-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,691 Times in 13,059 Posts

If you take the MO with you when you self surrender, don't count on being able to use the money when you need it. If you really want to carry a MO with you, I suggest that you also fund your account in the regular way (mail, WU) too.