Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:01 PM

Question Probation revocation time

My husband violated his probation on a technical violation and probation with special conditions was revoked. He was sentenced to five years in ga doc. He is awaiting being sent to Jackson. The initial charge was aggravated battery. I am new to all this and he is wondering if his time will be gridded on the original charge with it being a violent crime (he wasn't eligible for Rsat) or the probation revocation on technical violation. I'm totaly confused and I'm going out of my mind. He hopes to be in a work camp or the mobile construction become he is a 20 yr. skilled welder. Will he be able to have time knocked off for any incentive program? I hope someone can help me. Ty in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost w/o my bb View Post
My husband violated his probation on a technical violation and probation with special conditions was revoked. He was sentenced to five years in ga doc. He is awaiting being sent to Jackson. The initial charge was aggravated battery. I am new to all this and he is wondering if his time will be gridded on the original charge with it being a violent crime (he wasn't eligible for Rsat) or the probation revocation on technical violation. I'm totaly confused and I'm going out of my mind. He hopes to be in a work camp or the mobile construction become he is a 20 yr. skilled welder. Will he be able to have time knocked off for any incentive program? I hope someone can help me. Ty in advance
He originally had 15 years probation and they pulled 5 with rest to be served on probation.
Also I was wondering if there was a way to estimate how much real time he will have to do?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 PM

Thanked 1,358 Times in 554 Posts

Ok, from what we've experienced, he goes to Jackson for diagnostic & is then shipped to a location. He could stay at Jackson but our son didn't. Our son was at Jackson about 2 months before being transferred. Since he was sentenced to more than 2 years, he should get credit for incentives. They will explain all that when he gets to his location. Be sure to check that he gets credit for time served from his arrest til he gets to his location. Our son didn't at first. That was 42 days & we had to go to court to have the judge order it given.

After he gets to his location he will meet with his case worker & they can tell him how to get in classes. Since he has construction & welding experience maybe he can apply to be a teacher's aide in those classes. All of that will help his release. And make sure to have him check to see if there are any classes he needs to take (anger management, etc). Those will need to be done before release.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
LilyWhiteRabbit (07-02-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:57 AM

Unhappy Probation revocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
Ok, from what we've experienced, he goes to Jackson for diagnostic & is then shipped to a location. He could stay at Jackson but our son didn't. Our son was at Jackson about 2 months before being transferred. Since he was sentenced to more than 2 years, he should get credit for incentives. They will explain all that when he gets to his location. Be sure to check that he gets credit for time served from his arrest til he gets to his location. Our son didn't at first. That was 42 days & we had to go to court to have the judge order it given.

After he gets to his location he will meet with his case worker & they can tell him how to get in classes. Since he has construction & welding experience maybe he can apply to be a teacher's aide in those classes. All of that will help his release. And make sure to have him check to see if there are any classes he needs to take (anger management, etc). Those will need to be done before release.

Good luck!
Thank you GaReform. I thought I read that probationers weren't eligible for the incentives and are the classes just part of sentence or reduce time as well. When parole board looks at his case will they go off original charge of agg. Batt or the revocation for technical violations? I hope I'm making sense, its been a lot to process for me. I'm like him, I would love to have an idea of how much time he will be away from us. Someone told him it was possible he could be home in less than a year with time served. He's been in county since end of November. Does this usually carry the 1/3 of sentence or is incentives all that take off the sentence. Someone told him it had been changed to 1/5 because of overcrowding but I have been hunting and haven't read anything about it being changed.
Oh and what points is he talking about that will determine where he is placed. Is there anyway to say which kind of facility he will be placed in?
It's just killing the both of us we are both in early 40's and just had our first child. She is 7 months old and it's hard to know he missed her first Christmas, and will her first Easter and birthday. Tearlng up now. Ugh!!!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:49 AM

Default Credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost w/o my bb View Post
Please contact Offender Administration/ Sentence Computation at 770-504-7312. If you have any additional questions or concerns you can contact Ombudsman at 478-992-5358, or Ombudsman@gdc.ga.gov
Thanks,