Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Default Denied visitation at montgomery

I am new to this, please help. My fiance has been in for about 3 months. He was recently moved to Montgomery stay prison in Georgia as his permanent location. I filled out the visitation form and was denied. I am currently on probation for something that happened in 2014 where we were cod. It says denied because of my criminal history. I am 39 and misdemeanor possession of stolen property is my only convection. Why can't I visit? What can I do now? Can we have video visitation? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2017, 04:48 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,025 Times in 14,738 Posts

Persons on probation are often denied visits. Besides the prison's approval, you'd need your PO's approval as well. I had a letter from my PO giving me permission to visit that I mailed to the Warden after my initial denial.

Co-defendants are usually denied visits.

You can write the Warden and ask for a reconsideration of the denial, but in all honesty, don't count on visits being approved.

If I remember correctly, we did have video visits at one point after I was denied contact visits at the prison I'm in a different state, different phone / video visit provider, but you can try for the video visits.

Good Luck!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (09-10-2017), nimuay (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Thanked 1,469 Times in 589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame Conley View Post
I am new to this, please help. My fiance has been in for about 3 months. He was recently moved to Montgomery stay prison in Georgia as his permanent location. I filled out the visitation form and was denied. I am currently on probation for something that happened in 2014 where we were cod. It says denied because of my criminal history. I am 39 and misdemeanor possession of stolen property is my only convection. Why can't I visit? What can I do now? Can we have video visitation? Please help!
I'm sorry you were denied. Here is a link to the GA DOC visitation info.http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/sites/default/files/Visitation_FAQs.pdf
It says in there about your issue-
If I am an ex-offender can I be approved for visitation?
In order for offenders, ex-offenders,probationers, and parolees to visit, approval must be granted by the Warden/Superintendent prior to being placed on the approved visitor list. All former offenders must have clear Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) criminal history report for one year following their release from prison or since being placed on probation or parole. In addition,the procedures for being placed on an offender’s visitor list as outlined in Questions # 3 above apply in addition to clearing the GCIC check.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:11 PM

Thank you guys for your response. I already asked the probation office of I could visit and they didn't have a problem. I will get it in writing asap. Do I send that in with the letter I write to the warden asking for them to reconsider? Or do I fill out a new significant other form. We have been together for years, live in the same house, share the same bank account, can I do the common law marriage? How? We are in different states, he is in Georgia and I'm in North Carolina. Does that make a difference? What about the special visit thing, can we do that? Again, please help. I'm not handling this incarnation very well.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:14 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

I wouldn't think common-law would fly if either state doesn't recognize such things (Ky does not )

Yes, send the letter from the PO with your letter to the Warden requesting reconsideration of the denial. Keep a copy for your records, of the PO's letter & yours

Old 09-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Ok, will do. I'll let you know how things work out. I never imagined how difficult this would be. First being incarcerated and then not being able to visit. It has really affected me in ways I can't explain.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Doing a bid with no visits is doable....been there done that It just means more letters - we both prefer snail mail over email. You can do this

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (09-10-2017)