Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:49 PM

Default Georgia DOC changing phone provider? Update: Yes, to Securus, Jan. 2017

Does anyone know if Georgia are changing the company that provides the phones service from global Tel to another one.if anyone knows anything let me know.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2016, 09:04 PM

Thanked 1,392 Times in 566 Posts

I haven't heard anything about that. I can call the DOC & check. The ladies there have been very helpful with all the questions I've had. I'll try calling tomorrow & see what I find out.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-28-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:44 AM

Thanked 1,392 Times in 566 Posts

I just called the DOC & they said you're right. In mid January they are changing from Globaltel to Securus. Here is a link to the Securus site- https://securustech.net/friends
She said it won't happen til all the work of getting it set up is finished so the dates to change may differ at each facility.
I asked why no one has mentioned this & the lady at DOC said they are supposed to notify once everything is in place. I guess that means they'll tell the people incarcerated & it's up to them to tell us in time. We just visited our son on Christmas Eve & there was nothing said. There is even a bulletin board outside his facility with notices & nothing was posted there about a change. I just called the facility where my son is & the officer there told me that they don't know when it will change so for now it's still GTL.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 03:16 PM

When my relative told me I spent a good time looking online for news about...You would expect the gdoc to put it on their website.i am thinking there could be some people not being able to get to talk to their loved ones while this change happens.hope not.thanks for reply... Seasons greetings
Old 12-29-2016, 03:35 PM

Default Securus

Did the gdoc tell you if they were changing the video visit provider to serious aswell.i haven't been able to get a video visit in over a year..1 half of Pulaski has them but other half don't...Just wondering if they are changing everything to the new company
Old 12-30-2016, 06:13 PM

My LO told me about the change to Securus about two weeks ago. In the case of her prison the switch is planned to happen some time in January. Securus/Jpay already does video visitation the prison. If you have money on a GTL account you will get a refund. It seems this is being handled the same way they handled the new financial rules related to Jpay in May. They are going to push the news out through inmates first.

Last edited by K6770; 12-30-2016 at 06:18 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Hopefully this transition happens better than the package program. My LO hasn't been told about the phones changing, but I'll be setting up an account now in preparation. Just in case.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:58 PM

Nope, I can't set up an account. Guess I will try again in a few days.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM

Hang in there lillillala, I know how you feel. My LO has two little ones and my goal is make sure they hear their mother's voice as much as possible.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Securus

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
My LO told me about the change to Securus about two weeks ago. In the case of her prison the switch is planned to happen some time in January. Securus/Jpay already does video visitation the prison. If you have money on a GTL account you will get a refund. It seems this is being handled the same way they handled the new financial rules related to Jpay in May. They are going to push the news out through inmates first.
Hi is your lo at Pulaski?.My one is at her side of prison since they changed the kiosks over a year ago the video visits don't work yet at other locations they do.over past year the prison and jpay have basically played pass the parcel with the problem.sometimes the kiosk doesn't work for days and nothing been done about it.so kinda hoping securus is taking over video visits.i dunno if anyone else has got a loved one that is affected by this
Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 PM

Jpay is owned by Securus. I don't know if the situation with video visits will get better once Securus takes over the phones. I tried video visits several times with my LO, but there was always an issue. Getting to she her was great, but the sound was always a problem. I'm very glad she is not dependent on the kiosks to send and receive messages. She now has a tablet that is synced by wifi. Hang in there.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:52 PM

Default Jpay

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
Jpay is owned by Securus. I don't know if the situation with video visits will get better once Securus takes over the phones. I tried video visits several times with my LO, but there was always an issue. Getting to she her was great, but the sound was always a problem. I'm very glad she is not dependent on the kiosks to send and receive messages. She now has a tablet that is synced by wifi. Hang in there.
Yeah we had great video visits for a good few years up until a year like I said and changed kiosks.now like I have said we don't even try my lo could get on kiosk when ever she wanted now they are on a rota ...Poor service now.. Hopefully things will change...Thanks for reply
Old 01-17-2017, 05:18 PM

Default New phones

My LO is at Dooly State Prison. They just received notice today regarding the change to Securus on JAN. 19th! (2 days).

There is absolutely no reason that we could not have been given more notice (like a months notice). I am so tired of GDOC doing their own thing at the expense of the families.

I just loaded money onto GTL. Yes, I know I will get it back, but I don't have money to add to Securus right now. Who knows how long it will take to get GTL's refund.

So sick of the constant crap from GDOC. This is just the icing on the cake for me. Thank God! Only 98 days until he maxes out.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoJo1995 For This Useful Post:
*BellaEstrella* (01-18-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 12:54 PM

So, I think the transition went relatively smooth at my LO's facility. The call quality seems better and total cost was about the same. I think a few cents higher for 15 minutes. The only pain has been getting through the GTL refund process for my account and my LO's mom. I was funding the mom's account so I had to do a three way call because they would only refund the money to my credit card but the refund could only be made at the request of account owner. But no real worries. I already had a Securus account and just had to add the mom's number to my account. Now if the new quarterly package program goes as smooth my love will have some new warm clothes she needs before the next ice storm/snow apocalypse, which will come right after the early spring. lol.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Phone change

Does anyone know if it's happened at Pulaski as of yesterday it was still Gtl.so since Wednesday when it was due been swithering as to what account to put money in.so put it in Gtl.now I am thinking it's changed today.