Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 AM

Default paternity testing while incarcerated?

my son was born oct 4, 2005. his father went to jail 6 hours before he was born. he was arrested sept 05 for possession of 8.5 grams of cocaine and this of course was a probation violation. they picked him up oct 4. they originally tried to give him 20 years, but thanks to his lawyer, he got only 6 months-2 years in a court ordered rehab in Uvalde, Tx. I want a paternity test done (i KNOW he is the father, but im applying for neighborhood centers to help pay for child care and since he isnt on the birth certificate...)anyhow, his sister called me tonite to ask me (for him) if i would wait until he was released to get it done.
my question is this. what reason could he possibly have to want to wait? are there pros/cons to waiting? i dont understand. and although i agreed, it didnt cross my mind to ask her why he wanted to wait. does anyone have any idea? would it be better to wait or not? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 AM

If you need this for neighborhood centers, then you need to get it done now. They have a long wait...at least in Harris County. Now, he probably thinks that you are filing for child support against him. Which by the time he gets out would mean that he owed back child support and could go back to jail. My opinion.....ask him yourself. Don't LET the sister get into the middle of your business. If you are not talking to him now, write a short letter....hey, I need this done in order to get help with day care, in order to go back to work. What is your reason for not wanting this done. ...... See how he responds.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:40 AM

Just FYI, even by waiting, the child support will be set to begin the date of birth of the child so he isn't going to get out of paying so you may want him to know, either way he's paying the same amount. (if that's the reason he gives you) If you are needing it done for assistance, proceed because they will take away benefits if you balk at all. Also, he could just sign the Affidavit of Paternity and then there is no need for the DNA test. Easier and quicker. Good luck!