Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Ohio that do not fit into any other Ohio sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:50 PM

Default Transfer request, what do I write in the letter?

I have to fill out a paper for my love one to be able to be transfered closer to me.Can anyone give me any advice on what I should say or maybe not say? I want to make sure I don't mess up and that it gets approved.Thank you thank you thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmariebfly View Post
I have to fill out a paper for my love one to be able to be transfered closer to me.Can anyone give me any advice on what I should say or maybe not say? I want to make sure I don't mess up and that it gets approved.Thank you thank you thank you
Have you checked the departments policy on special need transfers? If it is a medical reason on your behalf that he needs to be closer to you. Then you should get a letter from your doctor stating the reasons why you can not travel to his current location.
In your letter you need to be truthful and factual, be sure that the letters are directed so that they get placed in his inmate file
here is the handbook that all inmates review at Offenders Housed at the London Correctional Institution Here is some FAQs: Transfers From Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction Here is another booklet that may help Handbook for the Families, Friends, Supporters and Mentors of Northeast Ohio Offenders In this booklet read the section called Catchment Area System . I did a very quick read but I think you will get a better understanding on transfer after reading this section . If this booklet applies Inmate Requested Inter-Institution Transfers This is the department policy on inmate requested inter-institutions transfer this information is located with in ODRC Policies and Procedures

Last edited by Patrickj; 04-23-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Old 04-23-2019, 05:02 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,445 Times in 13,478 Posts

Here's what Ohio DOC says about transfers. Since he is just starting a long prison sentence, he will probably have to wait before they agree to move him, but you can try anyway.
Q: How can an inmate obtain an institutional transfer?

A: Inmate initiated transfers are guided by the new policy 53-CLS-09. The inmate must make a formal, written request to their case manager if they qualify. An inmate may only initiate a transfer for the approved reasons in CLS-09 including Reintegration Unit Transfers, Visiting Transfers, Education Transfers (only certain programs qualify), Recovery Transfers (only certain programs qualify), OPI transfers and Requests for Inmates submitted by other Wardens. Visitors and family cannot initiate a transfer on behalf of an inmate. An inmate has no right to a transfer and the ODRC reserves the right to disapprove a transfer for good correctional management reasons, including but not limited to: the inmate’s behavior, the inmate’s previous behavior when they received a transfer, the frequency of inmate requests for transfers and the bed needs of the system.

And here is the actual 53-CLS-09 policy to guide your letter.
https://drc.ohio.gov/Portals/0/Polic...%202018%29.pdf