Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MINNESOTA > Minnesota Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Minnesota Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Minnesota should be posted here.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Chavas girl

Default How does parole work in Minnesota

I have a loved one who is serving a life sentence and it states the possibility of parole after 30. I am wondering how that works, and what is "good time". He is not a US citizen so many of the programs will not help him in any way towards early release. I really believe in this person and know that he really not guilty of the crime that he is in for. He does not speak English and that has worked against him. In fact, he is doing time for something that someone else had already confessed to. According to the deal, it was the only way he could avoid a life without parole situation. Can anyone shed any light on parole?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Here to help

Default Answers

In Minnesota, a person serving a life sentence is not eligible for parole until they have served a minimum of 30 years. There is no "good time" for lifers. That only applies to non-life sentences, where you have to serve 2/3 of your sentence. The other 1/3 is the "good time" that you serve on parole.

Sadly, there is no chance for early release when you're serving a life sentence. After 30 years, they will consider you for release, but there's no guarantee you'll get out. Most lifers end up serving 5-10 years longer than the minimum sentence, and some will never be released due to the severity of their crime, or if it's a high profile case.

When a lifer is eligible for release, the parole board will review their file, and usually tell them to come back for another review in a certain number of years. This could be 2 years, or as long as 10 years. They'll also make recommendations on what they'd like the person to do before their next parole hearing, such as attend treatment, or participate in some other program.

If they decide the person is a good candidate for release, they will approve them for transfer to a minimum security facility, then work release. That process usually takes 18-24 months, so the lifer can gradually adjust back into life on the outside. So, the realistic minimum is more like 32 years, when you include this "adjustment" time. (They never parole a lifer right to the streets.)

I just re-read your post, and realized that there's more bad news. Since he is not a US citizen, they will automatically start deportation proceedings if and when he is granted parole 30 years from now. The only exception to this is if he is from a communist country. (The US does not deport people to communist countries.) However, US Immigration will still pick him up and hold him for several months, then release him. This has happened to many people I've known over the years.

So, unless that policy changes in the next 30 years, he will not be allowed to go to minimum security or work release. Maybe that's good news, though. They might be more likely to release him directly to the Immigration officials as soon as they agree to parole him - maybe as soon as 30 years.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I served 18 years myself, and I know many lifers, so I feel for your friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr C For This Useful Post:
amnlaw (02-18-2009)
Old 12-25-2008, 01:39 PM
mary77

the state prisions dont have a parole board any more
Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary77 View Post
the state prisions dont have a parole board any more
They still have the parole board, but it's for lifers only. The only way someone serving a life sentence can ever get released is to go before the parole board.

I know what I'm talking about. I served 18 years, and I know plenty of lifers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr C For This Useful Post:
mary77 (01-15-2009), rominakins (12-26-2008)
Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Donation Award 

You're a good guy to have on board here Mr. C! Thanks!!!

"The tie which links mother and child is of such pure and immaculate strength as to be never violated." ~Washington Irving
Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 AM
mary77

folks you drop out of the program so they can hold you for a extra month an move that person to another facility hes at lino that what i do know believe he goes over an over about what happen brain to wash to me he a christian the lord will get him throw it amen
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Here to help

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary77 View Post
folks you drop out of the program so they can hold you for a extra month an move that person to another facility hes at lino that what i do know believe he goes over an over about what happen brain to wash to me he a christian the lord will get him throw it amen
Um... what are you talking about, Mary? Was this a reply to some other discussion thread?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Banned

Thanked 10,745 Times in 5,807 Posts

Mr C, thanks for your input !! I hope you hang around the forum and maybe even meet up with us when we're able to make it happen !
Old 01-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Chavas girl

Default Thanks Mr. C

Just wanted to say thank you to Mr. C. I am so glad to have you on this site. You certainly have a wisdom that some of us just don't have. I really appreciate your honesty regarding this situation. Thanks a bunch. I know that we can only hope and pray that we can find some easier solution. But in the meantime, I will stay with him. We are getting married in May and are very aware of the long road ahead of us. In fact, his parents are coming in from Mexico to attend. Hey, life isn't perfect but it is to be lived and loved.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:47 PM
mary77

the frist three months your out they keep a eye on you that whay my fiance said what he says i believe six months prior before ypu get out to get you ajusted before you get out that good for the immates that are going to start a new life out side
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM

I have a related question. When a parolee is from IL, where they are usually on an ankle bracelet after release, does that apply if they parole in MN? I've read about having to have a designated phone line without call waiting. I'm trying to reduce my phone bill and want to know before I make the changes.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS81 View Post
Mr C, thanks for your input !! I hope you hang around the forum and maybe even meet up with us when we're able to make it happen !
I'd be happy to meet up with all of you sometime. Send me a private message when you've got something planned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr C For This Useful Post:
ALA (02-17-2009)
Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 PM

As far as the ankle monitor, not sure if its required but do you need a phone line with no features - no caller ID, call waiting, etc. It can be the only line just so long as there are no features.

Many thanks to Mr C, whose post jives 100% with what the judicial branch knows of the DOC policies.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Hi...my boyfriend is currently at Guam DOC. He got into some trouble while visiting his mom in Guam. His sentence was just for one year. He's to be out on parole by end of June. He's trying to get his parole transferred to be near me here in Minneapolis. Does anybody know how hard it is to transfer parole? He is a class 3 SO.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma2729 View Post
Hi...my boyfriend is currently at Guam DOC. He got into some trouble while visiting his mom in Guam. His sentence was just for one year. He's to be out on parole by end of June. He's trying to get his parole transferred to be near me here in Minneapolis. Does anybody know how hard it is to transfer parole? He is a class 3 SO.
Check out this previous post - it should answer some of your questions. Note that it is always easier to transfer your parole AFTER you are out.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...36#post4364836