Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Strong enough to smile

Default Probably A Stupid Question

This is probably a stupid question, but, Is the mail read?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Donation Award 

Most of the mail is read but they look at all incoming photos and to see if there is any contraband in the letter. If your loved one is on "the list" as someone to really watch closely then they will most likely read each letter.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Strong enough to smile

Is there a limit as to how much I can write? I haven't spoken to him in days and the only thing that seems to bring me comfort and hope is writing letters to him. My husband was supposed to get transferred a couple of days ago. When he reaches his destination, will I be able to throw all my letters in the mail and he will receive them? In other words, is there a limit as to how many letters they can get on a day-to-day basis?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 AM

There are no restrictions that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't send them all at once. It might piss somebody off if they had to go through loads of his mail, and you don't want that for him. I'd send a few each day.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelli View Post
This is probably a stupid question, but, Is the mail read?

My dear....no question is stupid!! How would any of us learn if we didn't ask?
Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Donation Award 

I would keep writing but just send a few a day...after you know where he is at. I knew my husband was being transfered to Taft, CA and the exact date so I mailed a letter a few days before he was to get there and he got it the first day. The CO's and other inmates were laughing because they had never seen anyone get mail on their first day. We are so used to the system.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Liberty Tree

MOST mail is read, as stated, all pictures are reviewed.

There is no limit as to how much mail (correspondence) that you send it. And it really doesn't matter to be honest. There are some high profile inmates that receive 50 -100 pieces of mail a day. So if you're sending a bunch, I wouldn't worry about it. In actuality, sending a lot of mail tends to have a reverse affect on how closely they monitor your mail. The more that you send in, the more that they review - and then after a while they are tired of seeing the same old routine type of info so they tend to only glance over the letter instead of actually read it.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Strong enough to smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
My dear....no question is stupid!! How would any of us learn if we didn't ask?
Thanks! Everybody just seems to know what's going on, except for me.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

Well, anyone fairly new to this system is going to have lots of questions. It's not something any of us thought we'd ever have to learn about. So ask away and, as said above, no question is stupid. It's just not wise to guess or sit around and wonder when there are so many folks here who can help you out. And for free too! Z.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Michaels Lady
Donation Award 

Ask any and all questions. I promise you someone will know the answer or be able to direct you in the right direction.
I have flooded the mail room sending 3-4 packages a day of
large envelopes (upwards to 100 pages in envelopes). Alot of legal or health related stuff. One of 2 things happen at Deven. They get tired of trying to look at every page and send him a couple days worth just to get it out of the mail room, OR they hold it forever until they have time to look thru every page.
It all depends on the CO's that are in the mail room. They also have some issues with pictures depending on what they are (Although the same pix that gets rejected I resend another time and it gets in..............)
It really does depend on which facility and the mail room people no matter what.
Stay Safe

Old 05-13-2008, 07:07 AM

It actually all depends on the specific prison. MOst incoming mail is NOT read unless you are on a list of suspected bad people. I know. So, if you always try to send in crotch shots, they will know and look at your mail closer but no, people in the mail room usually don't have the time to read every letter. But, you never know.