Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Member Introductions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Member Introductions Please post your introduction here if you are involved with the South Carolina prison system.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:05 PM

I'm new. Hoping my original charge lesser charge with probation. This is my first offense. Never been arrested. My parents got a paid lawyer. Trying to stay positive but its really hard right now. Knowing I could have to leave my son for MINIMUM 10 years is scary. I'm the good girl. I'm not supposed to get caught up in things like this, but I fell for a no good guy and here we are.

Last edited by Prayin4TheBest; 02-20-2015 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Privacy
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 PM

Hi - I found this site through Google. My son is self reporting 3.10.15. The hardest thing for us to go through. I am in Seattle & he is restricted to NC until he reports. My heart is breaking & am hopeful to find support here.
Thank you,
Ren
Old 04-18-2015, 09:32 PM

Hi, my son is currently at Kirkland R&E and will most likely be sent to Turbeville for a YOA sentence. He just turned 20 in county after spending 7 months there. This is all new to me, but I've already learned a lot while he was at county. I would like to see some updated information regarding SC prisons though. I don't have any information about what goes on there. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 PM

Blueocean, my son has been at Turbeville for the last 2+ years. He is about 90 days from his outdate. Let me know if you have any specific questions. most of the info on the website about Y's is not very accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to beachmomma For This Useful Post:
choclgs (04-20-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 PM

Default Manning

My bf was moved to Manning this morning. He's been at Kirkland, Kershaw, Walden... now Manning (all since 4/2015)! I'm curious if anyone has any info on living conditions, visitation, canteen, etc at Manning. I haven't gotten to speak with him myself, yet... I'd be happy to answer any questions I can about the other SCDC prisons I've visited...
Old 08-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Bellina

Question Intro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlan View Post
Tell us a little about yourself and what brought you here. If you have already introduced yourself in the PTO Welcome Forum, post here too or include a link to your previous post.

If you have questions to ask SC Forum members, choose a corresponding topic (such as prison mail, phones, lockdowns, parole, etc...) in the South Carolina forum to post your question.

This thread is for introductions only. If we keep discussions under the appropriate subject headings, everyone can find the information.
Hi, My name is Bellina and my husbands son went into SCDOC on 7/9/15. He just got moved to Macdougall Prison yesterday. My husband and I are not legally married although we have lived together for 20 years and SC does recognize common law marriage. We have all filled out paper work to visit him. Today I received a letter stating mine was "DENIED". I told the truth about myself and the only thing I have on my record is from 1985 for possession of ( a gram ) of cocaine. I had to pay a $400 fine which I did but I suppose it will follow me the rest of my life. I was 29 when that happened and I am now 60 years old. I called and ask if they consider me a common law step mother ( I don't even know if there is a true term). She said that common law step parents are not considered immediate family even though he has been in my life since he was 17. Should I just forget about ever visiting him? He will be there 9 more years. Or does anyone know if there is some kind of appeal I can file ? I know he needs me in his life because he has no one but his Dad and a brother, but he and the brother are not close. Any help anyone can give me I would appreciate it. Thank you so much
Old 09-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Bellina

Question Can I file an appeal or anything else ????

Hello my name is Bellina and my husbands son went into SCDOC on 7/9/15. He just got moved to Macdougall Prison yesterday. My husband and I are not legally married although we have lived together for 20 years and SC does recognize common law marriage. We have all filled out paper work to visit him. Today I received a letter stating mine was "DENIED". I told the truth about myself and the only thing I have on my record is from 1985 for possession of ( a gram ) of cocaine. I had to pay a $400 fine which I did but I suppose it will follow me the rest of my life. I was 29 when that happened and I am now 60 years old. I called and ask if they consider me a common law step mother ( I don't even know if there is a true term). She said that common law step parents are not considered immediate family even though he has been in my life since he was 17. Should I just forget about ever visiting him? He will be there 9 more years. Or does anyone know if there is some kind of appeal I can file ? I know he needs me in his life because he has no one but his Dad and a brother, but he and the brother are not close. Any help anyone can give me I would appreciate it. Thank you so much .

Last edited by Bellina; 09-02-2015 at 10:00 AM..
Old 09-03-2015, 06:29 PM

That is crazy! It doesn't matter that you are not his step mom, as long as you knew him and are a positive support in his life is enough. I would call and find out who you need to talk to. Start with central office. A charge 30 years ago should absolutely not interfere with who you are today. Make some noise, cause your kid needs you all.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:33 AM

Hello everyone, I found this site through a google search. My loved one is currently serving a life sentence at Lieber but is eligible for parole in January of 2017. I have been denied visitation but we have recently become engaged I am hoping to find some guidance in a possible appeal process.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:30 PM

Hi, Sirod. I'm new here, too, and also have a loved one at Lieber. I've been reading through threads here for quite some time, but finally joined recently. While my only advice would be to contact the chaplain and see what he says, I honestly don't know your best course of action. I do, however, know that there are lots of helpful people on this site. Good luck to you and your family.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucidangel For This Useful Post:
Sirod9115 (04-24-2016)
Old 10-02-2015, 04:22 PM

I found this site via google search. I have a loved one at Kirkland waiting classification right now. Was at Krenshaw before that for 6 months. Recreation and Evaluation is the hardest part. I didn't hear from him this week (sometimes hard to get to the phones, or could be on lockdown because of all the storms who knows) and its killing me haha.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:30 AM

Hello, hope I am doing this right. I just was added a few days ago, so thank you for the approval. I found this resource through Google. My husband is currently housed at Turbeville and is expecting release in December 2017. This is my first time doing a prison sentence with him but I have been through the jail sentences many times. I came here more or less to find resources to hopefully help him from returning to jail or prison in the future. So I'm just going to look around the site a bit to see what I can find. Thanks again for the add and best wishes to you all.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:54 AM

My name is Cindy. My boyfriend of 11 years was sentenced to 3 1/2 years on Friday January 29th. My world is turning upside down. He will be shipped out to an evaluation center on Tuesday. They say he could be there for months. I am here to gain knowledge and connect with others who are in the same situation. Thank you in advance for all your help.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:37 PM

Nice to meet you Cindy I'm Kota. I still haven't quite figured out this site yet so I'm still fairly green when it comes to knowledge about the site and still haven't really found any fantastic resources for males in SC prisons. It sucks not being able to talk to my guy whenever but I feel like it gets easier with time in some ways. It definitely feels like your world is crushed at first but the thing my husband always tells me is "they can't keep me forever". And that always makes me feel better. We write each other a lot because I can't afford to put minutes on the phone plan too often. I did find a cool website "inmateaid" where you can send pics and messages from your phone and they print it out and mail it to them. I thought that was neat.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,602 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camcew View Post
My name is Cindy. My boyfriend of 11 years was sentenced to 3 1/2 years on Friday January 29th. My world is turning upside down. He will be shipped out to an evaluation center on Tuesday. They say he could be there for months. I am here to gain knowledge and connect with others who are in the same situation. Thank you in advance for all your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sktodd011315 View Post
Nice to meet you Cindy I'm Kota. I still haven't quite figured out this site yet so I'm still fairly green when it comes to knowledge about the site and still haven't really found any fantastic resources for males in SC prisons. It sucks not being able to talk to my guy whenever but I feel like it gets easier with time in some ways. It definitely feels like your world is crushed at first but the thing my husband always tells me is "they can't keep me forever". And that always makes me feel better. We write each other a lot because I can't afford to put minutes on the phone plan too often. I did find a cool website "inmateaid" where you can send pics and messages from your phone and they print it out and mail it to them. I thought that was neat.

The site can seem overwhelming at first but it's a great resource. You are correct, SC has limited resources for those who are incarcerated and their loved ones. If it weren't for me finding this site years ago I wouldn't know what I would have done.

His time at Kirkland R&E will be dependent on finding a bed for his classification which could be a week to several months. Hopefully he'll be placed sooner than later.

The current phone service is frustrating because the prepaid account setup isn't all it's cracked up to be. Writing and sending cards will make their days go by easier. The Dollar Tree, Dollar General, and Family Dollar are great for greeting cards!

When you have the time, fish through the SC forum, many responses are older but the information is quite relevant. Also go to the general forums and click on those that deal with specific topics. Members from other states go through the same things but you may not see posted here.

Take care of yourselves and do not be strangers!