Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 PM

Default Felon Hunting Rights in the State of Oregon?

Just wondering if anyone out there is aware if it is legal for a felon to go bow hunting? I know that a felon cannot be in possesion of a gun, but what about a bow, for hunting purposes only... I am getting nowhere on the internet, trying to figure this out. Some have said that felons can hunt with a bow, and some have said it's up to the PO, just wondering if anyone knows the laws, if there is any, regarding this issue... Any input would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Boss

There is a difference between "being a felon" and "being on parole or PPS". While on parole/PPS, the state and PO set a lot of guidelines and rules, one of which is not being in possession of dangerous weapons, (including pit bulls if the PO deems them "dangerous", so I sure would think a bow would be considered a dangerous weapon). Once they are off parole/PPS (which is usually 3-5 years, or the remainder of the sentence if they are on parole), what they can and can't do changes drastically. They can then have a felony and bow hunt, because they are not breaking any laws and do not have to answer to a PO. Make sense?
This is the OR Fish and Wildlife site, which I'm sure has all the laws regarding hunting. http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/FW/index.shtml

Last edited by one_luv; 06-21-2008 at 11:23 PM..
Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Always Rocky's Girl

Hello! We are hunters ourselves...what my husband has found out is that bow hunting and black powder are going to be alright! We are looking forward to changing our ways! We are doing everything right so he never has to see the inside of these walls again...that is what is most important.

Thanks Luv One for the link! I had not see that before!

Dawn
Old 06-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,361 Times in 4,630 Posts

Hmm - seems like I recall there was some controversy about the black powder - might want to check into that further. Z.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:08 AM
Always Rocky's Girl

Will do...I will check on the black powder....thanks for the challenge my friend!!

Dawn
Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM

On the form that I got from my PO on my release it said that a felon can not own a firearm etc, etc. It also says they may not be in posession of a deadly weapon either. Wouldn't a bow be considered a deadly weapon? I would love to be able to hunt with a bow. It's more fun than a gun in the long run anyways. It would be great to get a reply two weeks before bow season opens.

Last edited by OCJ; 09-25-2008 at 03:17 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 PM

I honestly am not sure what the rules are for felons (people no longer on supervision) but what I can tell you is specific to people on supervision (either parole or PPS).

A standard condition of supervision is that the offender can not possess a weapon -- a bow is considered a weapon. With that being said, most conditions can be modified at the discretion of the PO, however most will instantly say they can not modify conditions when in fact they can. All standard conditions can be modified at the discretion of the PO. The special conditions are the only ones that can't be modifed unless the special condition actually includes the working "at the descretion of the PO" or something simillar to that.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Boss

I think everyone is in agreement that while on PPS (ie Post-prison supervision), you can not hunt because you can not have a dangerous weapon.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Donation Award 

I have a family member under these guidelines, that his PO lets him hunt with a bow, but he can't keep his bow at his house. He has to pick it up on his way out to hunt, and drop it off on his way in from hunting, at a pre-arranged location that his PO agreed to. He is in Idaho, so the rules could be different from here. He is not allowed to keep any part of his bow hunting equipment at his own home. He is just happy for the chance to be able to hunt with the bow.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 AM

I looked into this a while back, and bow hunting would not be allowed.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:44 AM

Smile my update....

Hello,
ok so this thread is very very old but in case someone is looking for newer info....

I am on pps toll June 2018 (federal) my po has allowed me to use a bow (compound) but I can not keep it at my home. I luckily have a buddy with a big back yard and we target practice there. My po has told me that I can go deer hunting next year but not during rifle season. After I am off pps. I can bow hunt during both seasons under 2016 hunting laws.. I have been told that I can't use a release device but I have not seen that rule in print

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millhouse For This Useful Post:
GingerM (11-26-2016), Sarianna (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 07:36 AM
Je ne regrette rien
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,529 Times in 768 Posts

Hey, thank you very much for updating us and providing this information! I think it proves that it is a good idea to check with your PO
Happy hunting
Old 10-08-2017, 02:04 PM

My husband says bows are OK but they can't have a trigger, like no crossbows or anything like that. This is after PPS of course. But I'm not sure where he got that info.