Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Wisconsin that do not fit into any other Wisconsin sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:52 AM

Default Mother here of a son being charged with a sex crime

Hope your day is going good. Let me just get right into it. My son who is 34, an Army Vet and out on bail right now. He is charged with a Computer to facilitate a child sex crime. She was 16. However it was a sex sting. The PD contacted him first so we are pursuing an entrapment charge. This is his first offense with no prior sexual charge history and no criminal history except for traffic tickets. Several sex therapist have deemed it an Isolated Incident. But he will be charged with a child sex crime.

So what should he expect in treatment from other inmates once they find out?

I've heard that a person's charge is always found out at some point.

What does he tell other inmates when asked?

It's a state charge and nothing happened with the girl.

He is facing the minimum which is 5 years in a state prison.

I've also heard that because of his charge he might be placed at Oshkosh because. Of his type of charge. Is this true or not?
He is an easy going guy. Can stay to himself or just shoot the shit with ppl. I'm sure I'm missing allot of what to include as I'm just nervous for him. If have any questions by all means please ask. Thanks y'all for helping a worried mother out.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2016, 02:35 PM

I wish I could help but don't have the info you're looking for. I am a mother as well and empathize with your situation. I wanted to point you to the "Loving a Sex Offender" forum though as there may be more shared experiences and be able to give you more insight.

I do know that sex offenders have a more difficult time in population and it would be an issue if the others knew that he had a "sex crime against a child" charge. When people lie about their charges they usually choose something really commonplace and brush it over so as not to attract attention to it (breaking & entering due to drug use, or a fight etc) or they omit crucial details (like the victim was an elderly lady). You're right that everyone can be found out. We live in an information society and most inmates are in contact with people on the outside. However he must be interesting enough or mistrusted enough for other inmates to put him under a microscope. It sounds like he's easy-going and keeps to himself as you said and this is probably a good thing (for anyone, really). I wish you good luck. I'm extremely protective over my son so this must be really hard for you. Hang in there
The Following User Says Thank You to TawnyStar For This Useful Post:
PrincessWarrior1 (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 02:59 PM

Thanked 9,191 Times in 5,268 Posts

The thread puts the cart before the horse. There does not appear to even be a conviction in place. Community supervision is generally still an option in these sorts of cases, albeit with onerous conditions that sometimes make one wish that perhaps they had taken Door #2 instead...

Entrapment generally fails in the online cases as a defense...even if someone was in a forum where the investigators "reached out" first, it is not a simple response that results in the arrest. Trust me when I tell you that the transcripts stemming from arrests in these cases are often quite graphic and make it abundantly clear that the defendant KNEW they were attempting to hook up with a minor.

If there was no actual constructive step to go and physically appear at an agreed-upon location, then the competent attorney will also likely be speaking to attorneys like Mark Bennett here in Texas (who has successfully argued a number of online cases, not just in Texas but also content-related prosecutions in other States). His work in ex parte Lo resulted in a number of convictions being set aside for Online Solicitation of a Minor.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
PrincessWarrior1 (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 03:24 PM

Absolutely nothing from the inmates. Once their in there they only worry about each other or fight over stupid stuff.. phones, ego, etc. Men tend to not talk about their charges. If they do find out. He might just called "a ripper" here and there maybe shunned by a few.

If it's the cops initiating stings then everything could possible go away. That's why judges are judges. The police are just front line soldiers trying to keep society safe. Everyone has their own place in the criminal justice system.

Worse case scenario if found guilty. He may have to register as a sex offender. His picture will be there along with it and the level of danger he is considered in society.

My advice is if your son is "innocent" like u say he is.. then I would fight it and not worry. The internet can be a disgusting place period. And that is a touch and go subject when the girl/woman is of that age. Especially sometimes the girl comes on to the guy. I've seen it happen a few times.