Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Washington that do not fit into any other Washington sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Default Washington sex offender jobs

Hello my name is paul and im having difficulties with employment. Can anyone tell me where i can work for a goid decent wage ($14 or better) and have medical benefits. Im also having trouble with housing, and i am 6 months out from being a daddy.
Ive been out of prison since 2006 and just recently within the last 3 yrs have had a hard time with employment and housing. Im a level 1 and thought it would be easier but finding out its all the same when you have the jacket of a S.O.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,783 Times in 2,053 Posts

Hi paulcombee, and welcome to PTO. I've moved your thread to the General Prison Talk sub-forum because a lot more people will see it here.

As for your questions, I wish I had better answers. For finding a job, generally small businesses are less likely to do background checks or even ask if you have a criminal background than bigger ones, though that often means being paid less. Where I work, we have 9 people. I'm responsible for most hiring decisions, and I never ask about criminal background, nor do we do background checks. Our biggest concern is if the person can do the job or not. Generally speaking, small businesses tend to be that way - they want the work done and done well, and don't spend as much time worrying about background (or drugs either for that matter). The company I work at advertises on Craig's List and generally gets 10 - 20 resumes for a 1 day posting. The best I can offer for jobs is to look at Craig's list and Monster and whatever other job posting sites there are and do so every single day. Jobs go fast.

Similarly, housing goes fast. Your best bet is to go with a landlord managed property, preferably one where the place you're living is the only rental property the person has. It may be further outside of urban areas, and may require a longer drive, but it will be easier to find someone renting out a small house than to try to go through a big apartment complex. Even a duplex where the landlord lives next door would work. If the landlord is also the owner, that means that the landlord will be more likely to look for a tenant who isn't going to trash their property versus one who passes a background check.

Yes, having that SO tag hanging around your neck is a real millstone. If you haven't done so, you might want to go up to the Loving a Sex Offender forum on this site now that you're registered. There is a forum at the very top called "Life After Prison" and it's solely dedicated to people who have gotten out and have the SO label they have to carry around with them. You'd be welcomed there.

Not sure if this helps any, but I really hope you can find both employment and housing soon, especially with a baby on the way (congrats!)