Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WEST VIRGINIA > West Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

West Virginia Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the West Virginia Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Donation Award 

Default Restitution withholding has been extended

I just got a call from my friend in Denmar and he's pretty torqued. A couple of days ago I'd deposited the usual $25 in his account but he only got $15. He stormed down to some office to complain and was told "oh yeh, we were going to tell you about that tomorrow." And now they've sent out a bulletin telling them that withholding has been increased.
I've known all along that half of what he makes at his prison job gets withheld and applied to his court costs. This also applies to restitution. But now they've extended that to ANY money an inmate gets, even what people send.
I'm a little fuzzy on details.(he was seriously upset and kind of hard to follow) I think he said 40 percent and that he got $15 but I may have misheard. I can't say for sure if they're taking 40 percent or the previous 50. Or maybe they withhold different rates, or take 40 from either now. Sorry about that. I've written him a letter and hopefully he'll get back to me with the details. But what I know for sure is that now when you send an inmate money they'll withhold at least 40 percent of that for court costs or restitution. That definitely hurts.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,638 Times in 9,384 Posts

that's entirely common among US prisons. Been happening her in NY for as long as I can remember.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Donation Award 

This is one of those times when West Virginia was behind the times but in a good way.
I saw somewhere that one state, I think it was New York, takes 100%.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

No, as far as I know, NY takes 50%.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Donation Award 

I'm still a little confused. If I find out about changes to the Wv prison system, should I not post them? Do I check and if the federal system is already doing it then not mention it? What am I missing? I've also gotten PMs that seem to be saying that since other prison do it I shouldn't have posted about it.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Don't know if the PMs upset you, or what the content actually was, but people post already-answered questions on this forum ALL the time. And as long as your new information is well-founded - as personal experience or new regs issued from the prison, then of course it's worth publishing. Someone else can always make use of the info.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Don't know if the PMs upset you, or what the content actually was, but people post already-answered questions on this forum ALL the time. And as long as your new information is well-founded - as personal experience or new regs issued from the prison, then of course it's worth publishing. Someone else can always make use of the info.
That's what I was thinking, thanks. For one thing, people who send someone $20 at a time will know that if possible they should up it to $30 if they want to keep helping at the same level.
I worry that between switching to the new way of sending money and now this more and more inmates are going to end up abandoned. I know for me that I used to write a letter once a month, include some photos and a money order. With the new system I send the money by way of the online system, but it makes it hard to remember to write a letter.