Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Pennsylvania prisons.

Old 05-23-2003, 07:12 PM

Default Lackawanna County Jail - Pennsylvania

At the request of fedX I am writing to let people know alittle about this jail that my boyfriend is in. I guess that like all county jails it is just as crappy. It houses maximum security inmates with high bail. visiting is once a week for a half hour with 4 people. There is an extereme amount of corruption in there .The guards bring in dope and other drugs for the inmates to sell for them and then collect off thier books with a money order . A place like that can only make our men worse than before they go in. I have some questions also that maybe some can help with. He has now been sentenced after he sat there for 8 mths to a state prison. Where would one go from there? Also does it have to be stated clearly in court by the judge if someone can be up for parole after half of his minimum? Please if you have answers i would really appreciate it ?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:11 AM

Default State time in a county jail

My girl was sentenced to state time and would have gone to Muncy, but my lawyer petitioned the judge to allow her to serve her time at the Lackawanna County Jail, which we thought would be a better choice. He agreed. So that's where she is.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Hey,
this is all very new to me and I never thought i would be in this situation. I am a college student who is dating someone that turned himself in for a probation violation. They put him in Lackawanna County Prison with very little information about when his hearing is and when he is to be released. His p/o has really been keeping him in the dark with waiting nearly 2 weeks before having him sign the paperwork for his hearing. It has now been another two weeks and he still hasn't been notified about whether or not his hearing has been scheduled. Does anyone know anything about how probation violations are handled? I just want to prepare myself for how long it will be before we can let our relationship progress. We had only been dating for about 2 months when he went in and on the 17th it will be our 3 month "anniversary" of sorts. I know in the scheme of what people face on here, this is really not a long sentence, but it being the first and hopefully only time dealing with this, i have been having a rougher time then i originally had prepared myself for.
The Following User Says Thank You to behindblueyes49 For This Useful Post:
ZeePlumber (03-22-2010)
Old 02-19-2008, 02:57 PM

Hey.. my bf just had his hearing today and is in the Lackawanna County Prison for 90 days.. which I know isn't long, but we were a long distance relationship to begin with so that the phone was an integral part of our relationship as it is... This is my first time dealing with this and hopefully there won't a repeat... but the worst part is that his block's visitation is the same night that I have a night class... not to mention I am living 3 hrs away without a car... so basically, for the next 2 months I'm sunk.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Would anyone know what the rules are on sending books? Am I only allowed to send books through Amazon? Or barnes and nobles? And if its only amazon can it be a used book?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Would anyone happen to know what a 2 yr "Special" probation means? I have been trying to get in touch with my lawyer but I guess after they're paid and the case is done with . They're time is done with me being that I have yet to recieve a call back from my lawyer.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 AM

I would like to speak to anyone who has had a family member incercerated in any Pennsylvania county jails within a period of the last year and a half for any non-violent misdemeanor minor offenses such as a Driving Under the Influence (DUI), non-felony theft offenses, non-payment of child support, or non-payment of fines and costs.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM

[I just used amaxon and hadd no problem with lackawanna county. just make sure you don't send it as a gift. amazon does not send the receipt iff you send it as a gift. I heard you need a receipt sent with the books...hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Sounds like the same story
Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 PM

Default stater88

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstellaK61 View Post
At the request of fedX I am writing to let people know alittle about this jail that my boyfriend is in. I guess that like all county jails it is just as crappy. It houses maximum security inmates with high bail. visiting is once a week for a half hour with 4 people. There is an extereme amount of corruption in there .The guards bring in dope and other drugs for the inmates to sell for them and then collect off thier books with a money order . A place like that can only make our men worse than before they go in. I have some questions also that maybe some can help with. He has now been sentenced after he sat there for 8 mths to a state prison. Where would one go from there? Also does it have to be stated clearly in court by the judge if someone can be up for parole after half of his minimum? Please if you have answers i would really appreciate it ?
corrupt is right.i just got out of there. parole violation on my dui.unfortunately in the past i have had to be in 2 different county jails and i got to say i have never seen such blatant corruption. most cases they dont even try to hide it.then you read the local papers and it says how they have cleaned it up . lol.the tribune needs to do some investigative reporting like they went to school for, instead of just print what is spoon fed to them by the system.as for your questions ,now he is sentenced he will go to camp hill for classification for like 60 days then to his home prison for the rest of it. tell him the worst is county and camp hill but once he gets to his home prison it is all down hill. lots to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to stater88 For This Useful Post:
guardianangel3 (03-17-2017)
Old 05-22-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njshore View Post
Would anyone happen to know what a 2 yr "Special" probation means? I have been trying to get in touch with my lawyer but I guess after they're paid and the case is done with . They're time is done with me being that I have yet to recieve a call back from my lawyer.
special probation is county probation on top of your state sentence. so when you finish your sentence including parole you will have 2 more years of county probation. you see it alot with the sip program.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stater88 View Post
corrupt is right.i just got out of there. parole violation on my dui.unfortunately in the past i have had to be in 2 different county jails and i got to say i have never seen such blatant corruption. most cases they dont even try to hide it.then you read the local papers and it says how they have cleaned it up . lol.the tribune needs to do some investigative reporting like they went to school for, instead of just print what is spoon fed to them by the system.as for your questions ,now he is sentenced he will go to camp hill for classification for like 60 days then to his home prison for the rest of it. tell him the worst is county and camp hill but once he gets to his home prison it is all down hill. lots to do.
sorry also , no the judge has no say when he will be eligible for parole, but 50% of sentence doesnt sound right, i thought it was like 80%. might want to check on that . dont panic i could be wrong.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindblueyes49 View Post
Hey,
this is all very new to me and I never thought i would be in this situation. I am a college student who is dating someone that turned himself in for a probation violation. They put him in Lackawanna County Prison with very little information about when his hearing is and when he is to be released. His p/o has really been keeping him in the dark with waiting nearly 2 weeks before having him sign the paperwork for his hearing. It has now been another two weeks and he still hasn't been notified about whether or not his hearing has been scheduled. Does anyone know anything about how probation violations are handled? I just want to prepare myself for how long it will be before we can let our relationship progress. We had only been dating for about 2 months when he went in and on the 17th it will be our 3 month "anniversary" of sorts. I know in the scheme of what people face on here, this is really not a long sentence, but it being the first and hopefully only time dealing with this, i have been having a rougher time then i originally had prepared myself for.
please dont take this the wrong way, but from my experience, and i was sort of in your shoes 40 years ago...i'd graciously back out of this. (unless his probation is for a very minor offense, and you really feel you have a lot in common with this guy...just be careful...).
Old 03-17-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stater88 View Post
what do you mean by 'home prison'?? is home prison every Lackawanna County?? everyone goes to camp hill after sentencing??
Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM

corrrection: is 'home prison' EVER (not 'every') Lackawanna?? if your home is Lackawanna, do you spend all your time there, but still go to CampHill for classification??
Old 03-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 6,794 Times in 1,253 Posts

Hi Guardianangel3,
The post you were responding to was 3 years old. They may or may not be back to respond, but thanks for offering advice. It probably will be helpful to those who come along or are searching for information.
Also, welcome to the community!
David
bobble60 (03-19-2017), guardianangel3 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hi Guardianangel3,
The post you were responding to was 3 years old. They may or may not be back to respond, but thanks for offering advice. It probably will be helpful to those who come along or are searching for information.
Also, welcome to the community!
David
hadnt noticed the date, but thanks for pointing out. are you somehow involved with the Lacka cnty system, then?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 6,794 Times in 1,253 Posts

Yeah, this thread originally started in 2003 but has been used over the years quite a few times.

No, I'm one of the administrators here. We don't have anything to do directly with any system. We just have support forums for people who have loved ones in prisons & jails across the county / world.