Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEVADA > Nevada General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Nevada General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Nevada that do not fit into any other Nevada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Default How much time will he really have to serve in Nevada prison?

My fiance was sentenced to 3 years. Will he actually have to do 3 years?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Depends on prior record, behavior, if he obtains hs diploma gets time off etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Default It depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiswife1014 View Post
My fiance was sentenced to 3 years. Will he actually have to do 3 years?
The time spent will depend first on what state, s/he is in. Assuming that "good time" is earned for good behavior, taking possible classes, etc., s/he will do about half the time in CA or get 20% cut from their sentence in Oregon, for example. If a mandatory minimum sentence is involved that is something else. Many times the information is offered during sentencing or by asking the defendant's attorney.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM

In Nevada, and this is his first offense
The Following User Says Thank You to hiswife1014 For This Useful Post:
Needjhome (01-30-2017)
Old 12-29-2010, 03:53 AM
cimoreno

Default He will not do 3 years!

I have been in the Nevada prison twice and I will answer your question. No, he will not do the whole 3 years. Most likely he was sentenced to 12 to 36 months. Which means when he is on his eighth month he will see the parole board. If he makes parole he will be out on his twelvth month. And with the new law they passed a couple of years ago called AB 510 it is very likely he will be home sooner than one year. If for some reason his parole is denied he will still be home sooner than 2 years. I hope this makes you feel better. Any more questions feel free to contact me. I too live in Reno.

Last edited by cimoreno; 12-29-2010 at 03:55 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cimoreno For This Useful Post:
Needjhome (01-30-2017), Wicczwife (03-17-2017)
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 PM

Omg! This makes me feel so much better! He won't miss out on that much of his daughters life. Thank you for the info. I'm sure ill get another question so ill probably pm you.
The Following User Says Thank You to hiswife1014 For This Useful Post:
Needjhome (01-30-2017)
Old 01-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Default How Much Time Will He Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimoreno View Post
I have been in the Nevada prison twice and I will answer your question. No, he will not do the whole 3 years. Most likely he was sentenced to 12 to 36 months. Which means when he is on his eighth month he will see the parole board. If he makes parole he will be out on his twelvth month. And with the new law they passed a couple of years ago called AB 510 it is very likely he will be home sooner than one year. If for some reason his parole is denied he will still be home sooner than 2 years. I hope this makes you feel better. Any more questions feel free to contact me. I too live in Reno.

So, maybe you can help me. My friend got 5-15. You have any estimates on how much time he will really do? Thank you all so much for your responses!
The Following User Says Thank You to momto2bs For This Useful Post:
Needjhome (01-30-2017)
Old 05-09-2011, 07:59 PM
C's wife

@cimoreno I was wondering if you could shine a little light on my husbands time too.. First offense, no other priors. He got 24-96 months.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:10 PM

If my brother is any indication, I'd lean toward the low end. He got out almost as soon as they could release him. He blew it on parole and went back in. No idea how long that will get him for.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 AM

What if they are saying tht bcuzz he was charged consecutively he can't go to camp... And also he said he si want ged up 4 his ged but thts gonna tke at lease 3months... I don't get it its like they want them 2 continue 2 be losers... Maybe after he starts on his second charge he can get some love in there..... Plz help me underst.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 PM

mine was sentence to 5 years for assault and battery with boldily harm. this is his first trouble in nevada. hes in nncc right now and i was told hes just got there so that hes in evaluation. I think they are saying he can parole out in 2 years. He spent over 6mths in elko county and hasnt got into trouble yet. Will he really have atleast two years before he can get out?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 PM

My man was sentenced to 18 years he has ten left will he get any good time if he is in for murder?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 AM

Ok I was recently told with good behavior that a violent offender usually does 85% of his max time.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl9 View Post
My man was sentenced to 18 years he has ten left will he get any good time if he is in for murder?
Hi there..sorry about your man doing 18 years..my brother is serving life without possibility of parole and so far hes served 19 years...we really miss him and he was only 22years old when he went in..I know what you're going through but at least your husband will get that chance someday...God bless and good luck!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM

someone please help my husband was sentenced today to 1-3 years. i dont understand the system here its different than Ca. How much time will he actually do. I'm told he has to go in front of parole to get out. if he is denied he will go again in 6 months and so on. so question is how long does he get and if he is denied all the time does he automattaly get out on the 3rd year? He just got out of prison in ca for doing 3 years and now this in nevada.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:47 PM

Default What to expect?

@cimoreno I could use your take on this too! My fiancé was just sentenced on a first time felony class D for possession w/ intent for 1-3 yrs. He has no prior felonies or violent crimes. He served four mos at Washoe County on Parr already. The judge had recommended rehab but for no apparent reason (we had 3 letters of acceptance to every rehab she had requested) she still sentenced him to NNCC. He had a previous probation violation and was denied probation and drug court as well. I moved to Nevada from St. Louis only a few mos. before his arrest and had no idea that he even had issues before his arrest. I'm completely unfamiliar w/ the laws here, prisons and programs that are offered instead of prison. He had been at NNCC for a week and had no contact even though I set up phone, sent letters and emails, I know some about the fish tank (classification) process through recent reads and have been told that phone time/availability is hard to come by. I get all of that. What I don't understand is are there other programs he could do for rehab instead of prison? Is it likely that he will transfer to another facility even though he has a short sentence that he's already served 4 mos on? How long will he likely serve if he behaves and works towards it? He was kind of adopted into a gang through his family at a young age and is of Hispanic decent and has long hair will these factors make him a target? What is it like there? Thank you for any advice/info in advance!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Ab150

[quote=cimoreno;5858401]I have been in the Nevada prison twice and I will answer your question. No, he will not do the whole 3 years. Most likely he was sentenced to 12 to 36 months. Which means when he is on his eighth month he will see the parole board. If he makes parole he will be out on his twelvth month. And with the new law they passed a couple of years ago called AB 510 it is very likely he will be home sooner than one year. If for some reason his parole is denied he will still be home sooner than 2 years. I hope this makes you feel better. Any more questions feel free to contact me. I too live in Reno.

Last edited by PrettyKitten; 02-21-2017 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: I wrote this to the wrong person I want to delete this one
The Following User Says Thank You to PrettyKitten For This Useful Post:
Needjhome (03-12-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 PM

Default Re AB510 how much time will he get off the front of his sentence

[quote=PrettyKitten;7603554]
Quote:
I hope you can help me too. My husband is in Reno Restitution now, it was his second DUI he is 54 but doesn't look it, more like 40, but he has a job and is a model prisoner, what happened was he got a DUI when he was 19 then he got the 2nd one on July 2, 2016 and we have been only together for like 1 and 1/2 years and we just got married, and his incarceration is killing us, there are so many cops here. He is a custom carpenter and was coming home from Truckee and his boss was buying the beer, I don't know I think it was 1 or 2 points over. But he told me to find out about the AB510 how much time he will get off of the front of his sentence he is praying it is the time in front of his sentence. Can you explain this to me, I don't know lawyer talk very well. Thank you so very much. Please reply.XO PrettyKitten. Thank you so very much for helping me, we are both going crazy about this.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:32 PM

my son was sentence to 10-life. were from CA where " lifers" with that time rearely got out. Does Nevada parole there lifers ? If so about what time frame ? first hearing, 2nd , 3 rd ? Are they allowed to have " board Attorneys " at there hearings ? ANY info on lifers would be appreciated,

Last edited by canv; 03-11-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Old 03-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Smile

[quote=PrettyKitten;7603554]
Quote:
I really appreciate your response and I thought I had responded to this a while back. I'm sorry for the lapse as I just noticed it had no response now. Very accurate answer by the way. He has a mandatory parole date in April which is exactly his eighth month. For anyone who doesn't know, mandatory does not mean he will get out on parole but that he will be reviewed for eligibility next month. Thank you very much for answering this accurately.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I also wanted to ask you since I'm not from here some advice on seeking housing during his parole. I'm afraid that if I just pick a place without putting him on the lease then If the p&p inquires of the property owner it could be an issue. Is this something they typically do? If so do you know of any safer/nicer areas that would rent an apartment or home to us? I have good credit and I've never been on probation or parole. I know that some of the weeklies here might do it? I would rather live in an apt or home though as I've been living in a weekly since August as it is. I need some space. How would I even go about getting him on a lease without having his ID? Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNicoleX View Post
Ok I was recently told with good behavior that a violent offender usually does 85% of his max time.

thats true i am a violent offender and i did everyday of my 85 percent, i think its based on the catagory of felon that you are more then the violence but i was a b felon so i did every min hope that helps