Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > Oklahoma General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oklahoma General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oklahoma that do not fit into any other Oklahoma sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 PM

Question Need help! Don't know where to turn to now.

My husband was in Granite work release and was sick prior to being moved to a halfway house in Oklahoma City. He seen medical there they gave him an inhaler and that was all. He was doing any better 2 weeks later when they transferred him. Two days after being at the halfwAy house I delivered him some clothing. He showed me a cut on his thumb. He said had been there awhile and looked infected. He said he asked for it to be looked at and received a band aid. The following day I brought more items he needed and he was complaining it hurt worse. When looking at it you could tell it was infected and need attention. I went with him to talk to a gentleman when he asked when he could see medical the gentleman said it wouldn't be that evening probably not the next morning , but maybe the next evening. Sometime the next day they took my husband to be seen and they kept him. He had MRSA, and they said they knew this immediately. funny thing is you can't find out that soon, but I'm glad they kept him. NOW A WEEK AND 3 DAYS, had passed when I called to check on my husband and my visitation papers. They told me he was doing fine and that I had a 30 day visitors pass to come see him so I could come during the assigned days and times. I went the following day. When I arrived the lady at the window looked him up, got on the phone, and I could hear her saying "No she doesn't know he isn't here, no I haven't told her anything. Ok yes, yes ok." Then she come back to the window and tell me I'm sorry your husband isn't here. I asked were he was. I can't tell you. I asked who I need to talk to. He case manager. I asked who that was. She told me she couldn't give that information to me. I said someone better start answering my questions if not a whole lot of people will be up here that they will answer to, because he is not just another number he wad my husband and a native American with a Tribe that would investigate. She then gave me the case mangers name, number, and ext. And told me he had been admitted into the hospital. When I asked why I was not contacted she said he would have had to requested to have them contact me. I looked her and said" Trust me, I can promise you that my husband not only requested but demanded you call his sick wife." I walked out of the building and across the street to their little park sitting area to get my friend that drove me. And a gentleman came out yelling ladies you can't be here. I said we are leaving I was just here trying to find my husband, I called yesterday you say he is here I come today he in the hospital, and no one calls, and you don't want to tell me who I need to talk to, ill get legal help if I have to but ill find my husband and want went wrong here..He asked me to calm down and gives me the number to the hospital and tells me everything will be ok they will tell me how my husband is doing.
My husband had been in the hospital for a week and 3 days in serious condition with osteomyolitist. What is that ?? That is MRSA infection in the bone. He stands a chance of losing his thumb, they had to cut the dead tissue from around the thumb, it could have traveled farther up the thumb into the hand or more, and in his blood stream. My husbandwas in serious condition when I first got a hold of someone, now is stable but in sever pain, and will remain in the hospital for at least 6 more weeks. When I asked about phone calls or visits they said no.
Funny thing is I pulled up DOC POLICY AND PROCEDURES FOR OKLAHOMA
ANYTHING OVER A 2 WEEK STAY admitted family can be granted visitation.
When I talked to his case manager and asked why I wasn't notified. She said he was supposed to call me.. How is that possible when they ate not allowed to have phones or calls?
So I'm pretty smart at finding all the info I need . And I already contacted our representative were we live, and native tribe legal department, and next is news media, governor office, case manger boss. I need to know what legal grounds if any do we have because if I have to get an attorney I will. He is not just a number, a prison inmate or a through away person, he is my husband, his mothers son, my kids father and a grandfather. And due to this stress his mother has had a seizure worrying about her son. I know this is long sorry I'm a lil OCD. details are my thing..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinky's Wife For This Useful Post:
mssirois2u (02-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2017, 08:17 PM

So sorry to hear you are going thru all this...Will pray for your husband's health & for you to get some answers & help in dealing with this situation. Its so upsetting how they treat our loved ones.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 PM

For them to contact you, you would have to be listed as his "emergency contact" in his DOC records. He would have had to give them that info, being that you are his wife, I am sure he did. Getting medical info from the DOC is a pita, my boyfriend has been in OK DOC for 12 years, you will need his to sign a medical release of information and tell him to write in there "until discharge" otherwise they medical releases are only good for 3 months. This medical release is a MUST, it doesn't matter if you have power of attorney or are listed as his emergency contact, you NEED the medical release to get medical info.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 PM

If you would like to make a complaint to the state OK DOC office you can call 405-962-6155. Or voice your concerns to them about how the situation has been handled, call them and explain. They will listen to your story, but they cannot give you feedback or get back to you unless the medical release has been signed. I have found once the State office starts calling the facility things are usually taken care of. I have to call up there about every 3 months or so, and we know each other well, lol. The prison doesn't do their job, I call the State office, the State office calls the prison, then they do their job. We should not have to do this, but it is what it is. I pretty much have to follow up on EVERYTHING because the DOC case managers, etc. are incompetent.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Donation Award 

Does that work for just ,medical or anything there NOT doing, My son should be a level 4 but still at a 2, and I"m told its OK they'll just back date it, there just so far behind,
really !!He should be to a mim and should be getting ready to go to a work center in Nov 2017.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 PM

That is the number to medical. But yes, I follow up on every thing they are not doing.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:11 AM

Well I contacted our representatives were we live and he got back to me yesterday. So everyone on here please help me out. He wants any and every idea to change the legislation for our people in system not getting the medical treatment they deserve and for the family's not be notified and getting visit with them like they should. He is interested in things to change and if their is enough of us contacting them we can make this happen. I refuse to let my husband be just a name and number to the system. Dont let your family member be either.you can leave your comments and I will send them with mine or go to your local representatives or both. If you need help finding your representatives I will be glad to help you.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:30 AM

I don't know OK at all but can pass along the usual advice for any fight like this. Document everything: every phone call, everything. Keep a diary.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:19 PM

I am I document time and day.. and person and what was said.. they are very aware im on top of everything and aware of his rights.. what kind of attorney would I contact to talk to see what I can do. They are still giving me the run around. They moved him to Lindsay hospital in my opinion is not as well equipped as ou hospital for someone that was in critical condition and was only 20 mins from ou rather they moved him to a hospital less equipped and over an hour away and are telling me its a different area of his body then the area that is actually is. How do I really know my husband is really ok. These people have lied to me from the very beginning.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:59 AM
Donation Award 

Prayers for you and his family and your hubby, Stay on top of this! May Father GOD walk with all !
Old 03-14-2017, 05:13 AM

Thumbs down Oklahoma Halfway house .. bad news!

He is Better was released from hospital Valentine's day. But its been a mess since. I talked to many of the people there and lots of research and Oklahoma Halfway House is really bad. And now my husband got a job but bus transportation isn't running to his job area on the weekends. So Sunday he waited for his ride to take him back and never showed. We found out 45 mins afterwards the been in car accident and we had to find another ride. He kept in contact with them but it took a couple of hours and he made 3or 4 calls to them letting them know where he was what happened and now. He is on restriction. No visitation and no work. He is a paranoid schizophrenic no medication they wanted a UA and he refused. But the voices in his head told him if he took it they would send him back. Since he got 8 years for a false positive he believed the voices. So after all of this and fighting for my husband he stands a chance of going back to prison. I need my page on facebook to go viral and help with other family's and their stories so we can make changes to laws and how things are run at these place. justice.for.familys.in.D.O.C.system
Copy that into the search box on Facebook
Please help get the page out and sharen your stories. The governor office is looking into this place since I messaged them along with our representative. One mouth doesnt make much noise but many do.. lets get loud!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 PM

Not to discourage you, but I don't think you will get anywhere with the representatives or the governor, hopefully I'm wrong, but in my dealings, they don't care. Now the DOC director, Joe Allbough does care about what is going on in his prison system and I have had great results when I have gone through his office for anything.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 PM

Well at 9am the representative called me Roger Ford. He is meeting with DOC in two weeks and wants all information I can give on my husbands case and any other information I can share of the Oklahoma Halfway House. And any other stories from other people. I also need to decided on what changes iine think need to happen. Hoping people will tell me some of there wishes for change so I can put it together and it happened. DOC IS UNDER INVESTIGATION as we speak. We are getting a new director ..I believe..dont hold me to director. And governors office emailed me back again this morning. So 3 emails from both and 1 call.it does help my husband and I are Native American, and have strong tribes that have laws to protect natives. I found use all resources you can.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:48 PM

Well keep us posted as to what they actually do, I'm interested to hear!!!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:34 PM

If you or anyone you know has a story I can share or any ideas on what changes need to be made please share. Im for sure asking changes be made for when inmates are hospitalized families can at least get a phone from them at least once a week.I know that would have helped me and my family to hear his voice and know he was really ok
Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 AM
Donation Award 

Have you taked or posted in OK Cure with Lynn Powell ? She out of Okla city ?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 PM

I wonder if he is going to the regular monthly DOC meeting? It is exactly 2 weeks from the date you posted, it's on the 28th. How is your husband doing?
Old 03-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Donation Award 

Welp , the 10 million lawsuit that was just won by a family in Tulsa should open some eyes!!! I know it will cost all of us, but that's the price we pay to be heard! Not to let another inmate lose his or her life!!! Thank God there's a atty who will stand up to the jails!!!And I'm sure he'd ODOC if needed!
Old 03-25-2017, 04:03 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,784 Times in 13,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssirois2u View Post
Welp , the 10 million lawsuit that was just won by a family in Tulsa should open some eyes!!! I know it will cost all of us, but that's the price we pay to be heard! Not to let another inmate lose his or her life!!! Thank God there's a atty who will stand up to the jails!!!And I'm sure he'd ODOC if needed!
I'd be interest in reading the case / story...do you have a link?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 4,701 Times in 2,472 Posts

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...84a1a615e.html

A $10.25 million verdict rendered Monday in the Elliott Williams federal civil rights trial should serve as a “wakeup call” for the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office and its former sheriff, an attorney for Williams’ estate said.

“I just hope that the county takes it seriously and they do something,” said Dan Smolen, an attorney for the Williams estate.

Williams was naked and paralyzed when he died on the floor in a cell in the Tulsa Jail’s medical unit on Oct. 27, 2011, following a six-day stay.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 PM

There's video of his final hours. I can't or won't make myself watch it.