Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Donation Award 

Default Can each warden make up their own rules conflicting with the law?

Can each warden make up thier own rules conflickting with the law ?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2017, 12:23 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,369 Times in 4,428 Posts

The short answer is no. However, a warden's duty to their facility may allow them to interpret regulations in a way that provides or increases safety for inmates and staff.

Is there a specific example you'd like to ask about? It might help us answer more effectively.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-07-2017), Anjewel (03-09-2017), suellengage (03-24-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 07:58 PM

No. Wardens are not lawmakers. They cannot impose extra laws on prisoners. If you feel that Correctional Officer misconduct has occurred then you should report your findings to the Florida Inspector General's office. As they have no choice but to investigate claims.

Just make sure that you've done your homework so far as facts go. Times, dates, names, incidents, etc. If your inmate loved one has an​ accusation, always ask if they were in an area camera accessible. If so, ask they write down the approximate date, time and officer's surname​ who was on shift.

I'm right now in the works of dealing with officer misconduct regarding Securus calls being terminated for pure ishts and giggles... Additionally with the FTC for violation of facility contracts with Securus, relating to financial losses of consumers. I contacted the COO's office of Securus and was told (after lots of prodding) that facility staff monitor the calls and can terminate based "as they deem necessary." If anything is awry, communicate through legal mail. Always remember that unlike your "inmate," you are not incarcerated and your loved one is an extension of you, regardless of their incarceration status.

Good luck.

Last edited by NellaDeaux; 03-12-2017 at 08:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to NellaDeaux For This Useful Post:
communicator (03-22-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Sun Dried Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,285 Posts

Please, always speak to the prisoner before you go over a wardens head. Please remember s/he must live AND SURVIVE there.

Wardens don't make the law. They don't even create the 33s, the rules and procedures each state facility (as well as private run) must go by.

However, don't think for a second that their word doesn't count.

Unless it's egregious, he probably has the final decision and they are going to back the man they chose to do the job.

But, I'm really curious as to what law you think one has broken....please share.

I'm not saying you have a lost cause, I just really need to know more detail.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel
The Following User Says Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-13-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Donation Award 

I was curious mainly because I see differant degrees of each prisons facilty level
it would seem the facilies with lesser levels would not be as strict
Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Sun Dried Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51littlemama View Post
I was curious mainly because I see differant degrees of each prisons facilty level
it would seem the facilies with lesser levels would not be as strict
Those levels have nothing to do with the atmosphere of the prison and whether it's more laid back or not.

Each prisoner has a housing level determined by a slew of different factors such as severity of his convicted crime, physical and mental history as well as his disciplinary record.

A level 3 prison won't house an HO5 prisoner but, you may find HO1's in a level 3 prison. They all have to follow the rules and procedures in the 33's.

But, the atmosphere (degree to which those rules and regs are enforced) largely depends on the administration from the Warden on down to the Officer in Charge of that dorm for the day.

I know this seems as I've contradicted myself....but, that's the glory of all government, interpretation by a free thinking human.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

Last edited by Anjewel; 03-19-2017 at 10:46 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-07-2017), LostAsAlice (04-20-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 PM
Donation Award 

thanks for the great input, so let me see if I have this correct
from one shift to another the guards can for a better word play with the 33s
within reason
Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 PM
Donation Award 

where can i find the 33s
Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Sun Dried Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'play'.

You will find the 33's here: http://www.dc.state.fl.us/secretary/...index.html#103

Also, please feel free to look around here in the forums to find links to specific rules and other's experiences with same.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:02 PM

Each camp is suppose to be governed by chapter 33 but the warden or their designee can additional rules. For instance, some camps don't want the inmate at the canteen window during visits while others don't care. Then you have the camps that make the inmates sit facing a certain direction during visits. None of these things are actually listed in chapter 33.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SWEETIE CAKES For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-07-2017), Anjewel (06-06-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Donation Award 

Default reply

yes dealimg with the same issue The guard cant beat up om the inmates so they have to find some way to irretate them

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellaDeaux View Post
No. Wardens are not lawmakers. They cannot impose extra laws on prisoners. If you feel that Correctional Officer misconduct has occurred then you should report your findings to the Florida Inspector General's office. As they have no choice but to investigate claims.

Just make sure that you've done your homework so far as facts go. Times, dates, names, incidents, etc. If your inmate loved one has an​ accusation, always ask if they were in an area camera accessible. If so, ask they write down the approximate date, time and officer's surname​ who was on shift.

I'm right now in the works of dealing with officer misconduct regarding Securus calls being terminated for pure ishts and giggles... Additionally with the FTC for violation of facility contracts with Securus, relating to financial losses of consumers. I contacted the COO's office of Securus and was told (after lots of prodding) that facility staff monitor the calls and can terminate based "as they deem necessary." If anything is awry, communicate through legal mail. Always remember that unlike your "inmate," you are not incarcerated and your loved one is an extension of you, regardless of their incarceration status.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,369 Times in 4,428 Posts

There's a pretty big gap between physical abuse and a snatched-up phone call. There's also a difference between a law and a DOC regulation. If you're planning to take on the system, make sure you know what you're doing. Our LOs pay the price for our short-sighted decisions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-07-2017), Anjewel (06-07-2017), LifeTraveler (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 06:16 PM

Thanked 1,789 Times in 642 Posts

It's kind of like school, or work, or living with your parents. When I'm at work, I don't allow the inmates to eat or drink in my classroom. Obviously eating and drinking is not illegal. It's not against prison rules either, but during my class, it's a rule and they follow it or they don't take my class.

My daughter isn't permitted to use her cell phone at school. Using a cell phone isn't illegal, but it isn't allowed at school and there are consequences for breaking that rule.

I wasn't allowed to use curse words when I lived with my parents. Again... swearing isn't illegal, but they were free to enforce their own rules.

In every home, school, or workplace, there's different rules. It's not out of line to expect every prison to operate somewhat differently according to their facilities, their staff levels, the needs of the inmates... any number of variables. None of those rules are "laws" but you will definitely face consequences for flouting them.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:52 PM

I found that my complaint was addressed almost immediately. I've yet to have a dropped phone call even once in the past few months. Perhaps my IT cyber security and programming knowledge played a part in that, but taking it to the highest level sometimes changes things.

Your loved one does have to live there, but it's always about connection. If your loved one is experiencing any form of abuse of authority whilst in the prison system.... I suggest you address it within the proper channels.
The Following User Says Thank You to NellaDeaux For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:27 AM
Sun Dried Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellaDeaux View Post
I found that my complaint was addressed almost immediately. I've yet to have a dropped phone call even once in the past few months. Perhaps my IT cyber security and programming knowledge played a part in that, but taking it to the highest level sometimes changes things.

Your loved one does have to live there, but it's always about connection. If your loved one is experiencing any form of abuse of authority whilst in the prison system.... I suggest you address it within the proper channels.
I agree whole heartedly. Just make sure to get the one that has to live there's permission and only if you know what you are doing. Retaliation is very real here in Florida. Please beware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (06-09-2017), miamac (06-08-2017)