Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, halfway house, community service, electronic monitoring, etc. in New Jersey should be posted here.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Need some insight on prosecutor's letter against his parole - New Jersey

My husband had his initial parole hearing not too long ago. Is has to be deferred to a 2 person panel due to his charges. His LSI-R score came back insanely low, his reports from the COs have all been favorable, he saw the person write down that he expresses remorse well, AND he has an official letter with a promise of employment.

The only caveat is that the prosecutor wrote a letter (only about a paragraph long) stating that he should not be granted parole due to him not serving enough time... this letter is dated from when she was notified he was going to be eligible for parole... almost 3 months ago, and his PED is not for another 5 months. Clearly it hasn't been enough time... YET.

How likely is it that this one letter from the prosecutor carries that much weight that he will be given a hit? He had support letters, he wrote a letter and had been doing therapy between his arrest and sentencing.

I'm trying to not let this get to me, but it's hard to not worry about it. I know that they can basically give you a hit for any reason but obviously he has a lot of decent things going for him.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 03:33 PM

The prosecutors letter holds heavy weight. When I was waiting for ISP my prosecutor sent a recommendation for me along with my sentencing judge and it went quick. My bunkie was sent back when her prosecutor objected. I'm not sure about how regular parole is but letting him out with a prosecutor objection is like saying FU to them and they don't usually like to go against each other because it makes each other look bad. I have seen strange things happen just keep faith prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:39 PM

Thanked 9,641 Times in 5,454 Posts

Much will depend on whether that prosecutor routinely writes letters and just how specific it was in relation to THIS case. I know here in Texas, a margin note on a list or a generic letter is not going to be given the same weight as something that goes into detail about the specific case...they are still problematic but generic is not the problem that specific would be. I would have to presume that other jurisdictions would view letters in a similar context...
Old 03-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower22 View Post
The prosecutors letter holds heavy weight. When I was waiting for ISP my prosecutor sent a recommendation for me along with my sentencing judge and it went quick. My bunkie was sent back when her prosecutor objected. I'm not sure about how regular parole is but letting him out with a prosecutor objection is like saying FU to them and they don't usually like to go against each other because it makes each other look bad. I have seen strange things happen just keep faith prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Thank you for your insight. I understand that when the letter was written in December it was certainly not enough time. He had only been there 3 months. It's not his fault his PED is at the absolute minimum that was calculated by the board so it's just confusing to me

We are definitely hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Itsunny though... the day after his initial hearing he got a letter in the mail from someone who is stating that he will 100 percent hire him if he's paroled. So it's like the only bad thing against him. Oh well!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Much will depend on whether that prosecutor routinely writes letters and just how specific it was in relation to THIS case. I know here in Texas, a margin note on a list or a generic letter is not going to be given the same weight as something that goes into detail about the specific case...they are still problematic but generic is not the problem that specific would be. I would have to presume that other jurisdictions would view letters in a similar context...
They showed him the letter and he told me it was pretty generic NAME should not be paroled due to time served isn't long enough in my opinion. Well just have to wait and see
Old 03-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Thanked 9,641 Times in 5,454 Posts

If the sentence in the case was the product of a plea, then the presentation to the Board should address concerns about amount of time served as being a factor that the prosecutor was reasonably aware of at the time they extended the plea. Accordingly, it is disingenuous to now claim the time served is not sufficient...
Old 03-21-2017, 05:16 PM

Smile

The letter from the prosecutor can weigh heavy on the panels decision to grant parole. However, it would be in your partners best interest to continue with any programs he may be involved in. My husband is at SWSP also and he has just recently completed the TC Program; alot of inmates do not want to enroll in this program because it is very tideous and basically, no joke. But, it does help them to get parole. My husband, did not have his certificate of completion when he saw the panel.. so they did not grant him a immediate release but they did give him a date 4 months away-- BUT THAT STILL IS GOOD. I wrote a letter to parole, as did a mutual friend explaining why we felt he should be released. I would suggest you call or write the prosecutors office and talk to them to try to get them to recommend his release, when he goes up next time. You could also get community leaders *such as a pastor to write a recommendation. Good Luck
Old 03-21-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tav73 View Post
The letter from the prosecutor can weigh heavy on the panels decision to grant parole. However, it would be in your partners best interest to continue with any programs he may be involved in. My husband is at SWSP also and he has just recently completed the TC Program; alot of inmates do not want to enroll in this program because it is very tideous and basically, no joke. But, it does help them to get parole. My husband, did not have his certificate of completion when he saw the panel.. so they did not grant him a immediate release but they did give him a date 4 months away-- BUT THAT STILL IS GOOD. I wrote a letter to parole, as did a mutual friend explaining why we felt he should be released. I would suggest you call or write the prosecutors office and talk to them to try to get them to recommend his release, when he goes up next time. You could also get community leaders *such as a pastor to write a recommendation. Good Luck

Thank you very much! When he sees the board again he'll still have like 4 months until his PED. Idk why they do these things so so early. Doesn't make any sense to me to agree and calculate a date and gen say "oh it's not good enough" seems like an easy way to not grant them parole.

We will just have to wait and see. His LSI-R score was under 10, and I made a packet with letters from myself, his parents, my father, a neighbor, our pastor. I also included pictures of him with his family and myself.

If he gets a hit, he gets a hit and we will deal with it then. If he gets a date then we'll obviously be thrilled.

Last edited by Have2BPatient; 03-21-2017 at 05:57 PM..