Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Crime & Court Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Crime & Court Talk News and discussion on all things to do with crime and/or the court system.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
You are looking for confirmation bias then.
No, I'm just reporting what I have witnessed, experienced and seen.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2017, 07:23 AM

The man served his time...period. His prior case had nothing to do with this one as he was cleared. Whether you thought he was guilty or not. Whether you like him or not. I'm not going to judge this man because of his actions as he could have been extremely nervous thinking they may not grant him parole. The bottom line is they thought he was deserving of parole by his actions while being incarcerated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Classygyrl10 For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (07-22-2017), choclgs (07-22-2017), cornered (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:25 AM

Thanked 11,058 Times in 5,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classygyrl10 View Post
The man served his time...period. His prior case had nothing to do with this one as he was cleared. Whether you thought he was guilty or not. Whether you like him or not. I'm not going to judge this man because of his actions as he could have been extremely nervous thinking they may not grant him parole. The bottom line is they thought he was deserving of parole by his actions while being incarcerated.
And it really IS about that simple...

Parole votes (and representation of clients in the process) are NOT about whether you 'like' someone as a person. I've had clients I couldn't stand to save my life. But there was still a story to be told to the Board that was related to the fundamental issues the Board is asked to look at and consider. And there are some people that I know the Board wasn't fond of but still approved for release...and they did so because it was the right thing to do given the content of the file in front of them...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Classygyrl10 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:05 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,356 Posts

I remember one of the person's in the parole hearing explaining his sentence and why it could be that he only serves the 9 years out of 33 years. I thought most states had a 65% maximum unless it was a violent crime?
Old 07-22-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
I remember one of the person's in the parole hearing explaining his sentence and why it could be that he only serves the 9 years out of 33 years. I thought most states had a 65% maximum unless it was a violent crime?
Every State is different...you have MANY, by example, in Texas who are released on non-aggravated offenses after having done roughly 12% of the sentence flat. As in roughly one out of every eight days of the sentence...they are then supervised for the balance. Aggravated offenses are driven by when the offense occurred, although there are some who had life sentences for murder and were eligible inside of seven years.

Further, if I recall correctly, the Nevada sentence of 33 years was a cumulated total for all of the sentences in the stacked series...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-22-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (07-22-2017), missingdee (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:29 PM

The 33 year sentence was also politically and racially motivated. Perhaps the Parole Board took that into consideration in granting him parole.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 4,987 Times in 1,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanner View Post
Maybe not in your case. But (as I pointed out), I wasn't specifying you. Almost all of the negativity I have seen directed towards OJ Simpson from the 90s until today has been because he was black. People were angry he married a beautiful white woman. People were angry he moved into a white neighborhood. People were angry he had white friends and wasn't the stereotype they wished him to be. It hasn't stopped and people are still hating on him because of the color of his skin.

Most people I know hate him because he beat his wife and probably killed her along with someone completely innocent and uninvolved in their relationship (not to say Nicole was guilty or deserved it, but Ron Goldman literally was wrong place/wrong time, unless you have an alternate theory.)

The color of his skin has nothing to do with it. His celebrity and attitude does.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-22-2017), His_Queen13 (07-22-2017), miamac (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,981 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanner View Post
The 33 year sentence was also politically and racially motivated. Perhaps the Parole Board took that into consideration in granting him parole.
You can say it was racial as much as you want. That's your opinion, not necessarily fact.
safran (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:30 PM

Thanked 1,599 Times in 517 Posts

I wonder if the Simpson family is represented on PTO.

I don't have a stake in the game either way, and most people here don't, but it always amazes me at the lack of support and cheers that happen when someone in a family we don't talk to gets a light sentence or parole, but then it's a party in the street when "one of ours" gets out after doing a lot worse.

Somehow everyone seems to know what all he did, but when one of our own is found not guilty (and hell, we watched him do it), it's a victory!

Ok... say he did all that earlier and got away with it. He murdered people and beat people. Now he's convicted on kidnapping... whatever. Not only is he not the only one in prison for doing that (who we hope can get out of it completely somehow or get paroled early), that wouldn't even put him in the "worst 100" at a prison.

He's a middle aged, black, male violent offender that made parole. How is that all this bad? What if this was YOUR LO people were saying this about? Where's all the "people are too judgmental, he deserves a second chance, he had no previous convictions" stuff?

He's sure as hell not rich, so that's not it. He lived it up when he had money... but again... not the only one in prison to have had a bunch of cash for a while.

Tough crowd.

So OJ, if your reading this, welcome to PTO where we support prisoners and the families of prisoners.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
choclgs (07-22-2017), Classygyrl10 (07-22-2017), cornered (07-24-2017), LifeTraveler (07-23-2017), miamac (07-22-2017), missingdee (07-22-2017), nimuay (07-22-2017), safran (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,253 Times in 6,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
I wonder if the Simpson family is represented on PTO.

I don't have a stake in the game either way, and most people here don't, but it always amazes me at the lack of support and cheers that happen when someone in a family we don't talk to gets a light sentence or parole, but then it's a party in the street when "one of ours" gets out after doing a lot worse.

[...]

So OJ, if your reading this, welcome to PTO where we support prisoners and the families of prisoners.
You're right that we are first and foremost a support site. I still stand by what I said and what continues to be my "thorn" on this: if John Q Public with little to no knowledge of the process watched that and was encouraged to think that it was what most folks experience for a hearing, we were better off not seeing it.

I don't give two tinks about the color of his skin or his money or his past as it pertains to this parole hearing.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 PM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts

Come on guys! We're talking about The Juice, here! No one is as great as he is!

-rip-

Ok, with that line aside...
why are so many people here so upset over this? What if it was your loved one or friend that got parolled, instead of OJ? Somehow that would be ok, I imagine. But it's not. It's OJ Simpson. And somehow he is different than...US? I don't understand.

Maybe, instead of criticism we should applaud him. Maybe, instead of being angry, be happy for him. And maybe, just maybe, if you write him congratulating him, maybe something positive could happen for you?

I am a huge believer in Karma. And unless someone has done something horrible to me, I won't hate them. Life's too short.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,253 Times in 6,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornered View Post
I am a huge believer in Karma. And unless someone has done something horrible to me, I won't hate them. Life's too short.
I never said I hated the man. I also don't feel that because we have a loved one in prison means we lose our opinions and gut reactions to matters of criminality. I'm not a "throw open the gates" person. I am for fair sentencing and equal treatment under the law, which I realize isn't always reality.

I understand that whatever the requirements were for his release, he met. Why culpability and insight didn't seem to matter was, and still is, my issue.

But it's done and it's time we move on, I suppose. I wish him the best of luck on parole and hope he's able to find a productive way to re-enter his life on the streets. Last I heard that included talks to secure a reality show if approved by his PO.

Last edited by miamac; 07-22-2017 at 10:45 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (07-23-2017), missingdee (07-22-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 02:54 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,106 Times in 617 Posts

The question was Would OJ have made parole in Texas.

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texa...s-11302156.php
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyInTexas View Post
The question was Would OJ have made parole in Texas.

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-texa...s-11302156.php
Graves makes the same incorrect presumption as the media with regard to the 33-year total. But then again, the media proves every day that they don't know squat about sentencing...

It was sort of frustrating to see them skip over the fact that, while 3g was a correct nomenclature in the past, the section of law has changed effective the beginning of this year.

It also presumes that the convictions in Texas would have been at the 3g level as opposed to, say, 2nd degree Robbery or the non-3g variant of kidnapping. This is where trying to compare convictions across State lines can be an apples to oranges task..and is an issue that rears its head in a number of areas every day, from sentencing enhancements to 'similar offenses' used for SO registration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
nimuay (07-23-2017), OnlyInTexas (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 09:12 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,833 Posts

"where trying to compare convictions across State lines can be an apples to oranges task"

And trying to compare what appears to be the exact same charges within federal courts or comparing a federal sentence to a state sentence.

One of my most valuable in-prison lessons was to never, ever compare charges or sentences. It wasn't easy to do and I didn't learn it over night, but I knew it was learn that lesson or continue to cause myself great angst.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,981 Times in 1,742 Posts

I'm not at all upset that he made parole. I'm upset that he acted like a fool and make a mockery of the process. He acted like an arrogant prick in every way. Admitted to not taking classes refused to admit guilt.
missingdee (07-24-2017), OnlyInTexas (07-23-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
I'm not at all upset that he made parole. I'm upset that he acted like a fool and make a mockery of the process. He acted like an arrogant prick in every way. Admitted to not taking classes refused to admit guilt.
Except that he did precisely what we have clients do in cases with such unique circumstances. He stated his role and what he believed was occurring. And not taking classes is not always a bad thing...if a class isn't going to benefit someone, then don't suck up space that could be used for someone else that WOULD benefit from the program.

Each case is independent. This is why we don't provide cookie-cutter letter formats for families of our clients. The approach is tailored to the client.

Voters can tell when someone is FoS...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
missingdee (07-24-2017)