Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 8,990 Times in 3,797 Posts
Default Denied Visiting at Kern Valley State Prison and no notification why/UPDATED

Hi , my application to visit a really close friend at KVSP was denied and my friend was informed on the 1st April. I havent recieved any reason why and I cant understand it.
I have no convictions never ever been to court I have no parking violations etc. I am in the Uk and gave my passport details.
I am not sure whether to apply again or write to the warden and appeal the decision but I have no idea what the reason for the decision was and they wont tell me over the phone.
So frustrated I am making a trip to California in June and I cant see him it will be a long time until I can go again.
Anyone have any ideas what I should do.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2016, 01:08 PM

Thanked 10,910 Times in 5,920 Posts

What reason was given to the friend for the denial?

If they won't discuss on the phone, then send an actual-sit-down-and-type-on-computer-and-print letter and send it by certified mail (whatever variant exists from the UK to the USA).
Old 04-16-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
What reason was given to the friend for the denial?

If they won't discuss on the phone, then send an actual-sit-down-and-type-on-computer-and-print letter and send it by certified mail (whatever variant exists from the UK to the USA).
Hi they wont give my friend a reason he just got a paper slip to say I had been denied. He asked why and was told that I had been informed by letter.I will write to the warden.
Thank you

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 04-16-2016, 01:43 PM

Thanked 10,910 Times in 5,920 Posts

considering that staff may well have only applied the standard first-class postage for a letter mailed in the States, I am guessing yours is on the slow boat and will arrive with postage due whenever it finally arrives...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (04-16-2016), maytayah (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Thanked 1,279 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
Hi , my application to visit a really close friend at KVSP was denied and my friend was informed on the 1st April. I havent recieved any reason why and I cant understand it.
I have no convictions never ever been to court I have no parking violations etc. I am in the Uk and gave my passport details.
I am not sure whether to apply again or write to the warden and appeal the decision but I have no idea what the reason for the decision was and they wont tell me over the phone.
So frustrated I am making a trip to California in June and I cant see him it will be a long time until I can go again.

Im sorry to hear that May.

Without knowing for sure the denial reason, its a shot in the dark but, I'd send another visiting form right away, if you have one readily available.

If not, have your friend SIGN and send you another questionnaire ASAP.

From past experiences, I fill out the entire form. Even the questions that don't pertain to me. I insert "N/A" so there is NO doubt. I look that form over with a fine tooth comb.

In the meantime I'd call the visiting Sargent and explain the circumstances being in another country, and June is fast approaching. Maybe they will allow you to fax one in. It's worth a try .

In the meantime get another visiting form in quick.
Good Luck.
maytayah (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:20 PM

Thanked 1,450 Times in 903 Posts

I've been only denied once, but the reason for the denial was listed on the paperwork, so I knew how to fix it.. And I was able to get approval over the phone, after faxing in what I needed to. The CDCR should have provided you with a reason for your denial. I hope that you get an answer soon!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisSoul View Post
I've been only denied once, but the reason for the denial was listed on the paperwork, so I knew how to fix it.. And I was able to get approval over the phone, after faxing in what I needed to. The CDCR should have provided you with a reason for your denial. I hope that you get an answer soon!
I hope that they let me know what the reason is , in the meantime I am going to write to the Warden and try and get approval for my visit in June. Thank you for your help its much appreciated.

Last edited by maytayah; 04-16-2016 at 05:42 PM..
Old 04-16-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
can I ask how quickly you recieved your notification of the reasons for denial.?

Old 04-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 18,540 Times in 6,716 Posts

Quote:
I hope that they let me know what the reason is , in the meantime I am going to write to the Warden and try and get approval for my visit in June. Thank you for your help its much appreciated.
Pooh! I'm sorry to read this, hun. You want the Visiting Sgt. first, though, not the warden. She's friendly but I'm thinking they may not disclose to you over the phone because they can't verify ID and sharing that info may fall under confidential. But it's your info, so it would seem they could ask you to verify your address/personal ID numbers or such.

If your friend is amendable to it, have him mail you the denial he received so you at least have that info while you work on the other.

It's true June is close. I'm sorry this happened and hope it gets resolved quickly. (I forget, are you approved at another facility in the States? If yes, is it in Cali, too?)
Old 04-16-2016, 06:39 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
[...]CDCR should have provided you with a reason for your denial. [...]
And I agree with previous posters that it's probably on its way to you but that doesn't ease your timeline. I also agree that they had to give a reason. In fact, on the form you filled out there is a box for "Reason for denial". They had to put SOMETHING in there even if it's a non-descript category.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
And I agree with previous posters that it's probably on its way to you but that doesn't ease your timeline. I also agree that they had to give a reason. In fact, on the form you filled out there is a box for "Reason for denial". They had to put SOMETHING in there even if it's a non-descript category.
Thank you I have no idea what it is. All I can think of is I didnt put anything in the boxes that werent applicable to me and I probably wrote my date of birth the British way as day month year,rather than the US way of month day year so they may think my date of birth is wrong.
I guess I will find out when I either get through to visiting or the letter arrrives.
My friend is going to appeal also so hopefully we have a chance even if its slim of getting our visit.

Thank you all

Old 04-17-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Pooh! I'm sorry to read this, hun. You want the Visiting Sgt. first, though, not the warden. She's friendly but I'm thinking they may not disclose to you over the phone because they can't verify ID and sharing that info may fall under confidential. But it's your info, so it would seem they could ask you to verify your address/personal ID numbers or such.

If your friend is amendable to it, have him mail you the denial he received so you at least have that info while you work on the other.

It's true June is close. I'm sorry this happened and hope it gets resolved quickly. (I forget, are you approved at another facility in the States? If yes, is it in Cali, too?)
I have never applied for visiting in California, I did have another penpal in California years ago but I didnt apply to visit him. The only visiting approval I have had was a federal approval but that is not california related. I wonder if that is it?

Old 04-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Your fed approval shouldn't affect your CDCR approval.

I think the birth date thing might be a good guess (definitely not calling anyone out, but sometimes...what seems obvious to us somehow is mangled by processing staff. nicest way I can say that. lol).

Are you traveling in June regardless of your approval? The reason I ask is because if you're going to be there anyway, and if this thing is still in the dredges of being fixed, I'd show up. I'd have a VPASS appt. for 8am Saturday and just show up with the paperwork (if you have it) and ask if an emergency visit could be arranged. The sergeant struck me as a reasonable person and worst case scenario they deny you a visit but you might get to get the problem sorted out in person.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:21 AM

I thought maybe the federal and the CCDR approvals are different things. The reason I thought date of birth is that the British way of writing dates has caused me problems before inthe US . A car rental compnay thought my driver licence had expired when it had not, it was just how the date was written.

I am going to California in Jume for a holiday with my daughter so if all else fails I will go there and see what can be done as you say maybe I can get it sorted in person.
Thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
i got denied once there over a ticket from years ago, but they wrote that down in a typed letter with the advice to reapply after i'd made sure nothing else would stop the app from being ok'd. so i don't know, but i'm very suspicious about prison motives at times. So, could it be the guy has gang ties that could be also active in your country or someone from your past such as pp's/mwi's you visited/still visit in that or other ca. prison's?.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbie_Elf View Post
i got denied once there over a ticket from years ago, but they wrote that down in a typed letter with the advice to reapply after i'd made sure nothing else would stop the app from being ok'd. so i don't know, but i'm very suspicious about prison motives at times. So, could it be the guy has gang ties that could be also active in your country or someone from your past such as pp's/mwi's you visited/still visit in that or other ca. prison's?.
Hi there , I am hoping the letter will turn up so I can get to the bottom of it.

I have never had any tickets in the UK or the US. I dont have any gang ties and I have never visited anyone in Ca or applied to visit anyone in Ca or any other state before. I have pp's but I have never appled to visit them and I dont have multiple MWI's , goodness having one MWI was more than enough.

Its all a mystery just now and I wont be giving up.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Hi there , I am hoping the letter will turn up so I can get to the bottom of it.

I have never had any tickets in the UK or the US. I dont have any gang ties and I have never visited anyone in Ca or applied to visit anyone in Ca or any other state before. I have pp's but I have never appled to visit them and I dont have multiple MWI's , goodness having one MWI was more than enough.

Its all a mystery just now and I wont be giving up.
Hi, Don't know if this is the case but...

I have a friend whose girlfriend applied to visit. She lives in Uganda.

While I realize it is not the UK, here was her problem:

When the prison ran CLETS (the US background check system) she didn't come up because she has never been to the states. So, it wasn't that there was a problem with her background check, there was no background in the US to check.

All she had to do was go to her local authorities and get a background check done/certified police thing... basically, her background check from where she lives.

So it is probably something as simple as that- based on what you wrote. You probably will need to get a UK background check done, mail it in to the visiting department with the denial letter you will get and waaa laaa.

You can just call the visiting department where he is housed and ask to talk to the Sgt. and ask them why it was denied.

Hope that helps and hope it turns out to be something this simple.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comehomesoon For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (04-28-2016), maytayah (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:50 AM

The background check thing is certainly plausible. I have spent a lot of time in the US but I am not a US citizen so I doubt they could run a background check on me easily although they did for my federal approval.
I can get a British check done but probably not before June. Shame as June is probably my only opportunity to visit for at least a few years.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The background check thing is certainly plausible. I have spent a lot of time in the US but I am not a US citizen so I doubt they could run a background check on me easily although they did for my federal approval.
I can get a British check done but probably not before June. Shame as June is probably my only opportunity to visit for at least a few years.
I had the same problem. Took me 5 month's to get approved. My first application was sent with a CRB, that is a complete criminal record check, that I have done every 2 years due to my work with vulnerable adults and children. However this was not good enough for the prison. I still believe this was just an excuse. Do not wait for paperwork from the prison about the denial because it won't appear. The action I took was phoning the Visiting Officer. Best of luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linney444 For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (04-28-2016), maytayah (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Thank you all for your help and advice I have recieved my letter from them now and they have asked for additional information.I have sent the information and scanned the documents they asked for so we will see what happens. I am not confident but I have sent everything they have asked for.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (04-28-2016), lessismore (04-24-2016), miamac (04-22-2016), sidewalker (04-23-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:14 PM

We have UK family that was denied as well, and they listed passports on their applications. CDC said something about insufficient information to verify identity. Same problem, we have no idea how to fix it. If they would just tell us what kind of information they need to verify out of country identity....that would be a great help. Maybe call and ask that specific question. How do i complete my application in order to expedite my application since I am travelling from out of the country.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:19 PM

Hi they requested confirmation of ID from me so I scanned my passport and my driver licence and sent them. I hope that is what they need as I want to visit in June and its only 5 weeks away. So fingers crossed.

The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (04-28-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 03:46 PM

Oh that's great news. Good luck. Let me know if that works so we can tell our family.
The Following User Says Thank You to lassy2013 For This Useful Post:
maytayah (04-26-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:42 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Referenced from "Visiting A Friend or Loved One In Prison Page 2"

If you are disapproved, you will receive a letter from the prison setting forth the reason for disapproval; the prisoner will also receive notice of the disapproval but will not be given the reason. If you are denied approval to visit, you may reapply, you may appeal the denial and/or the prisoner may appeal the denial. If the reason for the denial is based on inaccurate or incomplete information on the Visitor Questionnaire, you may resubmit an accurate and complete questionnaire. Sometimes the reason for denial is that the prison requires additional information (for example, evidence that the applicant is no longer on probation); in those cases, you should resubmit the questionnaire and provide the additional information. If you do not agree with the reason given for the disapproval, you may appeal by writing to the Warden at the prison. He/she is required to respond to your appeal within 15 working days of receiving the appeal. If dissatisfied with the institution’s response or action, you may refer your appeal, with a copy of the institution’s decision, to the Director of the Division of Adult Institutions or his/her designee at: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Division of Adult Institutions, P. O. Box 942883, Sacramento, California, 94283-0001, Attention: Director, Room 351-N. A written response to appeals addressed to the Director shall be provided within 20 working days from the date of receipt. The prisoner may independently appeal the denial of approval by utilizing the normal prisoner appeal process within the prison.

Sometimes emergency or hardship visits are allowed before a person has been approved to visit. Such visits are at the discretion of prison staff (usually the Visiting Sergeant or Lieutenant) and are usually to accommodate an unexpected visitor traveling from a distance in excess of 250 miles. You should not rely on receiving approval to visit without going through the normal visiting application process. Whenever possible, you should plan ahead for visits and have each adult who might want to visit submit applications before they embark on a trip that will include a visit to a prisoner.
The Following User Says Thank You to T_LovesHim100% For This Useful Post:
maytayah (04-29-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:44 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Thought I should just post this incase some of you don't know how to appeal a denial or notice the last paragraph says they sometimes accommodate an unexpected visitor traveling from a distance in excess of 250 miles....

I wouldn't guarantee this at any prison, but maybe a friendly phone call to Visiting Srgt asking for prior accommodating for this 1 time since you will be in the states during said dates but haven't been approved yet......
Just an idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to T_LovesHim100% For This Useful Post:
maytayah (04-29-2016)