Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arkansas News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Arkansas prison system.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Default New Bill

Has anyone heard of Bill being taken to 2010 Legislation for Good Time for people sentenced under the 70 0/0 Rule?? This meaning someone, A State Rep is taking a Bill and hoping it becames Act to the Arkansas Legislation and IF it should pass it would make Violent offenders capiable of recieving Good Time off their time. My ex boyfriend's mom called me over the weekend and I am trying to get some information because he had saw an article about it, which I can not find online. So if anyone knows about it please let me know. I would like to know what Rep is taking it and what we as citizens of Arkansas can do to help push it thru.Thanks Kitty
Old 01-04-2010, 04:08 PM

I haven't heard about this bill but it may be in the works. They did that for the meth users. But it will need some support behind it for the violent offenders. But a positive thing is that if they do and pass it then it will surely help ease the backlog of inmates in the county jail waiting to get to the arkansas department of corrections.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell1234 View Post
I haven't heard about this bill but it may be in the works. They did that for the meth users. But it will need some support behind it for the violent offenders. But a positive thing is that if they do and pass it then it will surely help ease the backlog of inmates in the county jail waiting to get to the arkansas department of corrections.
I would gladly volunteer my fiance's spot in the ADC for anyone waiting in a county jail. 2 years is long enough to be separated. Another 6 months is definitely doable but not preferable.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Missin my Baby

Thanks for posting this Tracy! I heard a rumor about this as well but have not been able to find any info ..... was hoping something would be posted here but at least I see others have heard the same "rumor".
Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Midnight'sAngel

My man is at Tucker under the 70% rule, he asked me to look into this because he ''heard'' they were voting in Feb to have it reduced to 50%. I have called the sentencing commission, been checking the ar.gov website, even asked a couple of lawyers on the elevator at work. NOTHING... I actually seen a glimmer of hope in his eye, if this were true he would have been eligible for parole immed. I guess i better break the news to him.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Missin my Baby

I wouldn't break the news just yet .... unless you have definite confirmation that it is NOT true ...... it is my experience that it is REALLY hard to find accurate info on these type of things. But I'm not expert of coarse.

And sadgrl .... I would give anything if all I had to wait was 2 years! You should be thankful instead of complaining ..... when my man FINALLY gets home, I will have waited almost 10 years!! My man got a pretty raw deal for a burglary ... got more time than rapist and sexual offenders!!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Angry Arkansas 100% dumb law

Has anybody heard any news about the violent offenders my man is suppose to be serving 100% this time because he committed a terroristic act in 1997 for shooting after someone who was trying to hurt him. In this case the person was not hurt and in the end thy became aquaintances. Now he is accused of something else and has to do 20 years because of the terroristic act charge, other than that he would only be serving about 3 1/2 years. Your past will come back to haunt you protecting yourself or not. Arkansas has such dumb laws. If he has already served time for the crime why is he serving much more time for it again? I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions so that I can help him get out sooner. This law has really pissed me off.

Last edited by kikiande; 06-02-2010 at 12:28 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 01:50 AM

My husband is in Cummins and he did hear something about this new bill they are trying to get passed. Something to the effect of drug offenders should not be receiving such long sentences. And that anyone that has been sentenced for only drug offenses might get some extra good time???? i am not sure of anything else.

Lets cross our fingers!@@

Ryz Girl
By his side for the entire ride!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzgirl2009 View Post
my husband is in cummins and he did hear something about this new bill they are trying to get passed. Something to the effect of drug offenders should not be receiving such long sentences. And that anyone that has been sentenced for only drug offenses might get some extra good time???? I am not sure of anything else.

Lets cross our fingers!@@

google arkansas prison reform. There was something in the news about it. I read it online. You can also goole gov. Bebee reform bill. Something to that affect and you will see what is going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to CARLAVINCENT84 For This Useful Post:
besties4life (07-21-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 AM

The drug bill is being tossed around in state legislature. I'm not sure if it's been voted on but some that have been charged and future charges would get a better deal than they are now.

As far as the other bill, I know it was actually presented but never heard whether "action" was taking or not.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 PM

The prison reform bill for Arkansas is now in the Gov's hands as of this week. We are waiting to hear if he makes changes because as always there are people against it going through. I pray it does!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 AM

http://www.cwarkansas.com/news/local...Yv_09AR_w.cspx

Go to this website and you can see the resent news and what bebee is trying to do. This is an update on 3-1-11.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:31 PM

act 570 has new sentencing guidelines go to
arkleg.state.ar.us
The Following User Says Thank You to anysupport1 For This Useful Post:
lizzybell1979 (07-14-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM

ok can someone that knows about this bill please exaplin it to me, I tried reading thru it but maybe Im missing somethings, my fiance has a probation revocation & he has 2 new felonies one is a B & the other one is a D, he hasn't been sentenced yet, that happens in September of this year can anyone tell me if he could possibly get les time because of the new bill, anyone with info on this please comment thank you so much, I'm really worried because they are talking about giving him a 6 year plea just on the probation revocation alone