Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:22 AM
Closed

Default Question for a C.O.

Well I realize a C.O.'s job is most certainly not a job that just anyone can do but there are often things I wonder about them. One particular question I have recently is the following:

Do you ever find yourself coming across a particular inmate that you really feel does not belong in prison ? Perhaps some other place is where they belong, such as substance abuse treatment or tether etc. I know a crime is a crime and the law is the law and a C.O.'s job is not to judge but we are all humans and we all wonder sometimes about a persons situation. So do you ever come across someone that you wonder why they are in prison or jail depending on where you work ?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 PM
C.O

The answer to that is YES. There are different circumstances. Mental health issues are one reason, age is another being young and doing something stupid is another. I can spot a new person in the system in an instant. You can see the fear in their eyes. Most are released on bail in the following days.

Then their are the regulars who just keep coming back. Some are released and back in a week, a month or even a year. The fastest I have seen is less than 4 hours. The sad truth is most come back. Some are unable to function on the outside.

Canadian C.O
Old 03-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Closed

Do you think most of the regulars are a result of drug or alcohol abuse ?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:44 AM
C.O

Definately. Crack is the worst. It is amazing what crack does to someone over the years and being familiar with someone who is in on it you see the progression of how it overtakes their lives and changes them mentally and physically. It is a really bad drug.

I see these inmates coming in off the street after binges and they are in really bad shape. Then after spending months in jail they get healthier and are eating and look better, sound better and are able to carry on decent conversations. Then they are released and when they come back and start the cycle again. In think in most cases doing a 3, 6, 9 months stay prolongs their lives.

I have seen them going through DT's after alcohol binges and it is truely the lowest form anyone can be seen in. They hallucinate, sometime urinate themselves and I can only imagine what its like from their side.

Heroin withdrawl is just as bad. Methodone helps.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Retired Law Enforcement

I have. I read the man's case file. I was so surprised. He actually was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was caught up in the incident. A murder charge no less. Why he could not be exonerated is a puzzle.
But he was the nicest guy. He worked hard, did as he was supposed to and he made parole. I never felt uneasy around him. I never really found too many I could say that about.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Closed

When there is one with DT's are there special precautions that the facility has to take ? I know it can cause death in some cases. Do they set out guidelines or is it basically up to the guards to decide if there is a serious medical situation on hand ?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:25 PM
C.O

They would be taken to a hospital and monitored there
Old 03-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Closed

I dont know if you have heard about the conditions that are or were at the Windsor Ontario jail, I figure C.O.'s are just as much at risk if there are unsanitary conditions. Doesnt the C.O.'s unions step in if conditions are bad. I just figure that its not just the prisoners that are exposed but the C.O.s too if its really bad.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:58 PM

Canadian C.O., I have a loved one on the inside (repeat offender) and he has an addiction and I agree with your statement above that sometimes 3, 6 or 9 months can save their lives. When my husband falls off the wagon he can't stop and when he is caught doing something illegal sometimes I do find it a blessing in disguise, as silly as that may sound, because he could die so easily when he is doing drugs. By the way, welcome to PTO. It is nice to see that all sides of the system are on PTO and benefical to all to be able to find out how the "other" side thinks.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:31 PM
C.O

Drugs are an awful thing and seem to have a lot of power over someone who is under their control. Drugs not only effect the person doing them but also everyone around them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole32
Canadian C.O., I have a loved one on the inside (repeat offender) and he has an addiction and I agree with your statement above that sometimes 3, 6 or 9 months can save their lives. When my husband falls off the wagon he can't stop and when he is caught doing something illegal sometimes I do find it a blessing in disguise, as silly as that may sound, because he could die so easily when he is doing drugs. By the way, welcome to PTO. It is nice to see that all sides of the system are on PTO and benefical to all to be able to find out how the "other" side thinks.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:35 PM

Why isn't the provincial system doing more to help these guys. Lots of my friends are in and out because of crack fueled crime sprees. These super jails are just warehouses, you do your time, get a free bus ticket back to what you left. Most of them are back to using within hours of being released. They need rehab programs. One friend who was just sentenced last month begged the judge for more than 2 years so he could get help for his addiction to crack in the federal system. He had only been out 3-4 weeks after serving 1 year at a correctional facility. He's not a bad guy he's a drug addict that needs help.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:50 AM
C.O

There are some programs available in the provincial system like AA and CA but are not mandatory for people to attend. Its avoluntary which is also a problem because with most people who have problems not facing them are part of the problem. Maybe attendance at these programs should be part of release conditions.

Another big issue is after serving time these people return to the same neighbourhood with the same influences that got them into trouble in the first place. Its a vicious circle.

I guess in the end a decision to stop and get help cannot be made for someone but have to be made by someone

Last edited by Canadian C.O; 03-27-2006 at 09:39 AM..
Old 03-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Closed

That is unfortunate, I know in state systems the judge can order the inmate to complete a substance abuse program as part of a sentence. I thought they did that here but I suppose its not consistent across Canada.
So that is something that needs improvement in the Canadian Corrections system. AA, NA, and CA meetings are totally up to the inmate and its sad that even being imprisoned isnt a wake up call. Addiction has some serious holds on people and it isnt getting any better. Returning to the same neighbourhood is a recipe for disaster if they are an addict. Especially if there isnt a support system in place for them when they are released.