Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Artistic Corner and Body Art
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Artistic Corner and Body Art Post all Body Art and Artistic + Photographic works in this forum

Old 01-19-2019, 09:04 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,094 Times in 4,227 Posts
Default New artwork by Banksy In Wales

A Banksy mural on the side of a steelworker's garage has been sold to an art dealer for a reported "six-figure sum".

Gallery owner John Brandler said the artwork would remain at its current location in Port Talbot, South Wales, for a minimum of two years before being mmoved.

The work, which depicts a child playing in falling ash coming from a skip fire, marks the first Banksy to appear in Wales and is believed to be a comment on pollution linked to the nearby steel plant.

Banksy is an anonymous street artist and political activist based in UK. He began as a graffitti artist. Now his work sells for thousands when it is found. His work has been found on walls bridges and streets all over the world.

Personally I am huge fan and I will sure I go and see this.
https://edition.cnn.com/style/articl...cli/index.html

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 20,253 Times in 7,248 Posts

Love it. He's controversial for his work for so many reasons; one being his disconnect from so many of the issues he paints about. I think there's some validity to that, but those same issues take on similiar forms around the world so it's arguable that his work is universal. His location choices are contemporary commentary.

I have a print of his 2007 work in the West Bank of a little girl frisking a soldier. I feel it speaks to a far wider audience than Israel. Feels like this work in Wales could just as easily be found in the toxic low-income areas of large cities in the US where regulation is lax because it's easier to pollute the disenfranchised.

Last edited by miamac; 01-19-2019 at 02:04 PM..
Old 01-19-2019, 01:58 PM

I think he chose port talbot as itís a poor area and as you say itís easier to pollute the poor and disenfranchised. He chose to paint on the garage of a steel work another comment maybe.
Itís an amazing thought provoking piece of art.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-19-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:44 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,291 Times in 14,726 Posts

Ive heard the name before and I did see this on fb the other day.
Its good.

Question tho.......does this Banksy guy get permission for these? Or does he just paint them where ever he wants to? How can you *sell* someone elses property?
Im not getting that part. (or did I misunderstand?)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 01-21-2019, 11:49 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Thanked 20,253 Times in 7,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Ive heard the name before and I did see this on fb the other day.
Its good.

Question tho.......does this Banksy guy get permission for these? Or does he just paint them where ever he wants to? How can you *sell* someone elses property?
Im not getting that part. (or did I misunderstand?)
From my understanding he does not gain permission and it has (in)frequently caused issues. He does have people that act on his behalf as he tries desperately to remain anonymous. I'm thinking the shop owner has been compensated as part of the sale. Although after the $1.3 mil shredding incident at Sotheby's, it's sort of...well, Banksy.

But then that's a bit of his point with perhaps the shredding AND the placement of his latest. He frequently uses privilege as his subject matter. So destroying a piece auctioned for over a million means he took his art back from those he 'fights' against. Compensating a shop owner who might be struggling would fit his MO.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:32 PM

This artwork on a privately owned garage has bought the garage owner luck. He has sold his garage for £100,000. Apparently he turned down higher bids to keep the art in port talbot. Banks can paint on my property any time he wants

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-21-2019), sidewalker (01-22-2019)