Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 01-20-2019, 11:23 AM

Post Intro--mom64 from Florida

I am a mother who is scared to death!! My only son who is 29, and a convicted felon, has been put our of rehab, and is now headed to the Florida DOC for 5 years. I am worried sick, and have no idea what to expect, or how it works. Can someone please help me ?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 AM
Hopelessly Devoted To Him

Sorry to read about your son, I can imagine how you must feel 😩 I have a 27 y.o son who thankfully is not the reason why Im on here but its good you found this wonderful site. You may want to introduce yourself and get acclimated with the Florida forum (sorry I dont know exactly how to post the link to it.)
Old 01-20-2019, 12:26 PM

Welcome to PTO. This is a wonderful support group to be in and contains a ton of information. In intake, several things will happen. I'll try to list some and if you have more questions (and I am sure you will), you can ask. Look up the FL 33s. Those are the rules for FDOC and give you most of the answers.

He will most likely be in intake about a month. Some sooner, some later; but that is the average (I think). They will tell him the rules, do medical and mental testing, assign him a DC number (this basically replaces his name). They will do a voice recognition test and set him up for the phone system. You can go ahead and set up a Securus account to get ready for that. You can also send in a copy of your phone bill to be approved. I would send in two copies, one for your son and one to classifications. When he fills out the form, he has to put the name the phone bill is in and the number. You can have a cell phone on there, but it has to be a contract phone not prepaid.

You can set up a Jpay account and once you get his DC number, you can add money to his books. There will be several things he will need to purchase from canteen the first few days. You can also set up to email him. Also, you can send mail via USPS. The 33s will tell you what you can send in by mail and what he is allowed to have. (They will become your best friend.)

Also, they just changed the way you can send in the visitation approval form. You can now email it in addition to snail mail. On the forms, make sure you fill in EVERY blank and are completely honest on it. If something doesn't relate you to, put N/A in the blank. Once they get the form, they have 30 days to approve/deny it.

Just know this isn't easy for anyone and you will have days you are overwhelmed or just mad/sad. It is normal and we are here for you.

OH! Don't plan on him being placed close to home. FDOC can, and usually does, place them as far away as they can. I am in the Panhandle and they put my hubby 3 hours away. A friend of mine has to drive 4 hours one way to see her hubby. Just be prepared for that.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
MPsQueen (01-21-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,970 Times in 12,176 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I provided a couple links about the Florida DOC in your post in the FL Prison forums.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:57 PM

Thank you so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to mom64 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnielg View Post
Welcome to PTO. This is a wonderful support group to be in and contains a ton of information. In intake, several things will happen. I'll try to list some and if you have more questions (and I am sure you will), you can ask. Look up the FL 33s. Those are the rules for FDOC and give you most of the answers.

He will most likely be in intake about a month. Some sooner, some later; but that is the average (I think). They will tell him the rules, do medical and mental testing, assign him a DC number (this basically replaces his name). They will do a voice recognition test and set him up for the phone system. You can go ahead and set up a Securus account to get ready for that. You can also send in a copy of your phone bill to be approved. I would send in two copies, one for your son and one to classifications. When he fills out the form, he has to put the name the phone bill is in and the number. You can have a cell phone on there, but it has to be a contract phone not prepaid.

You can set up a Jpay account and once you get his DC number, you can add money to his books. There will be several things he will need to purchase from canteen the first few days. You can also set up to email him. Also, you can send mail via USPS. The 33s will tell you what you can send in by mail and what he is allowed to have. (They will become your best friend.)

Also, they just changed the way you can send in the visitation approval form. You can now email it in addition to snail mail. On the forms, make sure you fill in EVERY blank and are completely honest on it. If something doesn't relate you to, put N/A in the blank. Once they get the form, they have 30 days to approve/deny it.

Just know this isn't easy for anyone and you will have days you are overwhelmed or just mad/sad. It is normal and we are here for you.

OH! Don't plan on him being placed close to home. FDOC can, and usually does, place them as far away as they can. I am in the Panhandle and they put my hubby 3 hours away. A friend of mine has to drive 4 hours one way to see her hubby. Just be prepared for that.

Good luck.
Will the number they give him be the same one he has now in county? He is also in the Panhandle. Thank you so very much, for all of your insite.. Good Luck to you as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom64 View Post
Will the number they give him be the same one he has now in county? He is also in the Panhandle. Thank you so very much, for all of your insite.. Good Luck to you as well.
No ma'am. DOC has their own system of id numbers. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 PM
Missing my better half
Donation Award 

welcome hun! while it seems chaotic, this is all possible to get through.. everything Sunnielg says is the honest to god truth. the 33s will be your bestie through this. I have them favorited along with the inmate handbook for quick reference. once he reaches his home prison find out who his classification officer is and make sure all his information (and yours) is correct.. slowly finding out that they tend to "not have correct information and have no idea how" or they lose information. they had my number incorrect and no address listed for us in his emergency contact stuff and his release information. so better to do it when you dont need them to have it then when they do and its wrong..

one day closer

The Following User Says Thank You to MPsQueen For This Useful Post:
Sunnielg (01-23-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Missing my better half
Donation Award 

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/legal/ch33/index.html

heres a link to the 33s.. it will be a huge help if you need information

one day closer

The Following User Says Thank You to MPsQueen For This Useful Post:
Sunnielg (01-23-2019)