Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Default Where does he go after sentencing for VOP?

Hi guys!
I'm new here and very nervous. Please help me out if you can. I'm dying to know answers. My boyfriend got sentenced yesterday on a VOP for technical violations. He received 20 months. But has 6 months gain time. He has no prior background and was one month away from getting off of community control. This was totally unexpected and we were NOT expecting prison at all but it's our reality now and I must make the best of it being that we currently have a five month old son.

My question is, what is the process after being sentenced? Of course he will get on the bus to leave but I've been reading so many different things. Will he go to reception? Does everyone that's sentenced whether its state or federal prison go to reception? After reception, I'm assuming he'll be moved to his facility to serve his sentence.

Lastly, his original charges were robbery with no weapon/firearm, larceny, and driving with a suspended license. He wants to go to work release will they send him there since his sentence isn't long? I called DOC and she said you have to at least have 14 months left on your sentence. By the time he is credited for his gain time he will be exactly down to 14 months. And if anyone knows how exactly do the classify you? Again, he has no prior background, just these new charges, and never any mental or behavioral problems. So considering he does have a robbery charge will exclude him from minimum or community classification?

Please help me! I know I have a load of questions I just want to be prepared. I feel like I'm dealing with a death it's so weird. I couldn't eat or sleep last night but now I must pick up the pieces and start my countdown. Thank you guys!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielj0825 View Post
Hi guys!
I'm new here and very nervous. Please help me out if you can. I'm dying to know answers. My boyfriend got sentenced yesterday on a VOP for technical violations. He received 20 months. But has 6 months gain time. He has no prior background and was one month away from getting off of community control. This was totally unexpected and we were NOT expecting prison at all but it's our reality now and I must make the best of it being that we currently have a five month old son.

My question is, what is the process after being sentenced? Of course he will get on the bus to leave but I've been reading so many different things. Will he go to reception? Does everyone that's sentenced whether its state or federal prison go to reception? After reception, I'm assuming he'll be moved to his facility to serve his sentence.

Lastly, his original charges were robbery with no weapon/firearm, larceny, and driving with a suspended license. He wants to go to work release will they send him there since his sentence isn't long? I called DOC and she said you have to at least have 14 months left on your sentence. By the time he is credited for his gain time he will be exactly down to 14 months. And if anyone knows how exactly do the classify you? Again, he has no prior background, just these new charges, and never any mental or behavioral problems. So considering he does have a robbery charge will exclude him from minimum or community classification?

Please help me! I know I have a load of questions I just want to be prepared. I feel like I'm dealing with a death it's so weird. I couldn't eat or sleep last night but now I must pick up the pieces and start my countdown. Thank you guys!
What state are you in? Each state maybe different..Im in SO and also new here just unfortunately not new to the system!!! My name is Val but everybody calls me Ma!!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:27 PM

I reread what I wrote Im in SC not SO where's that???!!! Lol
Old 09-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriettt9 View Post
What state are you in? Each state maybe different..Im in SO and also new here just unfortunately not new to the system!!! My name is Val but everybody calls me Ma!!
I'm sorry! I forgot to add my state lol. I'm in Florida! My name is Ariel!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielj0825 View Post
I'm sorry! I forgot to add my state lol. I'm in Florida! My name is Ariel!
First you need to take a deep breath and calm down, if you can handle county time you will be able to do this DOC time. Yes everyone goes to as reception center, Florida has 3, NWFRC, CFRC and SFRC, I think. Depending on your county determines which facility he will go to. Once there he will start processing, at that time I would send him a care package because he won't be able to buy anything for a little while. In a big envelope you can put 10 sheets of paper, 10 envelopes, book of stamps and 10 pictured if you want. This way he can contact you since he can't put a phone list in until permanent camp placement, if need be he can sell other items for things he may need.

Phone calls can be received on a cell Phone but it must be on a contract in your name, otherwise landline. You will have to set up a phone account to receive calls once approved, private facilities use GTL and the others use Securus. This can not be done until permanent camp along with visit application.

Hopefully this answers some questions.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,416 Posts

No way to tell where he will go until after reception.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE