Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kern Valley State Prison (KVSP) - California Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the Kern Valley State Prison located in Delano, California.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Does New Delano have a name other then Delano

My brother in law is getting ready to be move to New Delano. I have tried to locate the "New Delano" on the CDC website and cant seem to find anything called Delano new or old. I have looked on this map and I'm not finding it there either.

http://www.corr.ca.gov/InstitutionsD...cility_map.pdf
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Closed

hey its KVSP

sinnerslady
Old 01-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,189 Times in 497 Posts

Kern Valley State Prison

I can't find much on it but here are a few cdc press releases about it
http://www.corr.ca.gov/Communication...05/default.asp

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 01-10-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sunshine
Kern Valley State Prison
OMG I would have never got Delano out of that

Thank you
Old 01-10-2006, 06:58 PM

Next Question....

I am finding a North Kern on that map, but not a Kern Valley
Old 01-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Closed

Hey TNC~~~> North Kern is Delano I and Kern Valley State Prison is Delano II. North Kern and KVSP are across the street from each other. North Kern is on the right hand side and KVSP is on the left if you exit from 99north freeway. Hope that helps!! Take care TTYL

Sinnerslady.........forever
Old 01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
D'OH Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
Next Question....

I am finding a North Kern on that map, but not a Kern Valley
Hi Tanya

Kern Valley State Prison still does not show up anywhere on the CDCR Facilities page. I wrote them back in June to complain and I got a letter back saying they would add it to the iinstitutions page. I assumed it would be quickly apperantley they decided it should happen sometime in 2008

Anyhoo, here's the address of KVSP so you can google it.

P.O. Box 5101 Delano, Ca. 93216. And the phone # is 661-721-6300.

As you can see from the picture below they are about a mile apart. That is NKSP Prison on the right and Kern Valley State Prison on the Left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KVSP4.jpg (187.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-11-2006, 01:45 PM

Thank you all very much for this information. The one thing I have gathered is this prison isnt actually new. I cant speak for the in laws, but I got the impression from the email they sent me that this prison was supposed to be new and maybe they were still in the process of getting it filled up.

Now if anyone could tell me what this prison is like in comparison to Vacaville or Lancaster that would be great
Old 01-11-2006, 01:59 PM
D'OH Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
Thank you all very much for this information. The one thing I have gathered is this prison isnt actually new. I cant speak for the in laws, but I got the impression from the email they sent me that this prison was supposed to be new and maybe they were still in the process of getting it filled up.

Now if anyone could tell me what this prison is like in comparison to Vacaville or Lancaster that would be great

Actually T, It is CA's newest prison. It opened on June 15, 2005, with the arrival of about 300-500 level 1 inmates filling the MSF Yard (minimum suport facility) then over the following months they activated the rest unit by unit. I havn't read any new press on it, but from the original press release it was to be at full capacity by Dec of 2005 with 4500 inmates.

New prisons have lots of problems obviously be it green staff and undefined rules and regulations. So I wouldn't bet that being sent to a new prison is better than any other.

As to Vacaville and Lancaster, I've read plenty on here that Lancaster is not that great a place to land. Mostly cause those doing time there are young and have long sentences to serve. Vacaville has 2 prisons there, Califronia State Prison, Solano and the California Medical Facility and I havn't heard much about either.

Richard
Old 01-11-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPinSD
Actually T, It is CA's newest prison. It opened on June 15, 2005, with the arrival of about 300-500 level 1 inmates filling the MSF Yard (minimum suport facility) then over the following months they activated the rest unit by unit. I havn't read any new press on it, but from the original press release it was to be at full capacity by Dec of 2005 with 4500 inmates.

New prisons have lots of problems obviously be it green staff and undefined rules and regulations. So I wouldn't bet that being sent to a new prison is better than any other.

As to Vacaville and Lancaster, I've read plenty on here that Lancaster is not that great a place to land. Mostly cause those doing time there are young and have long sentences to serve. Vacaville has 2 prisons there, Califronia State Prison, Solano and the California Medical Facility and I havn't heard much about either.

Richard
Richard
You have been very helpful in all this. When I first came into the family he was at Solano then in the last year or so moved to Lancaster. Last I knew he was a level 4 (???) so I dont know if this move may mean he has been lowered or not. I understand what your saying about going to a new prison, but at this point one would think anything has to be better then the current situation at Lancaster
Old 01-11-2006, 03:22 PM
D'OH Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
Richard
You have been very helpful in all this. When I first came into the family he was at Solano then in the last year or so moved to Lancaster. Last I knew he was a level 4 (???) so I dont know if this move may mean he has been lowered or not. I understand what your saying about going to a new prison, but at this point one would think anything has to be better then the current situation at Lancaster
Thanks Tanya

KVSP is a level IV prison with a SHU housing unit, PHU (Protective Housing Unit) & ASU (Administrative Housing Unit). It also contains a 500 bed substance abuse treatment center. Outside the secured perimeter fence is the MSF level 1 Yard with about 300-500 in it. It's total capacity is 5000, but as things go in CA there will be 8950 inmates there in no time

Here's a link to the CDCR Press Release all about KVSP.

http://www.corr.ca.gov/Communication...2005/05-08.asp

Richard