Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California State Prison, Los Angeles County (LAC) Topics, Discussions & Information relating to the California State Prison, located in Los Angeles County, California.

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Inmate Family Council

Default All lac visitors - please read asap!

NEW FLASH

WARNING: The metal detector machine in the processing center of LAC has just been upgraded. The new unit is considerably more sensitive and you may find that clothes and jewelry that previously passed the detector may now trigger the alarm. There was reports that last week-end, zippers, buttons, snaps, hooks, eyelets, bra strap adjusters, gold jewelry, etc triggered the alarm. All visitors were required to clear the new metal detector, even when the hand held wand was able to determine what had set off the metal detector.

Until the new metal detector is better "fine tuned" and settings adjusted (hopefully), IFC-LAC strongly advises all visitors to not wear any clothing that contain any metal so to avoid considerable delays or denial of visit. We also suggest you bring a change of clothes with you just in case you are asked to go change.

IFC-LAC will be addressing this new problem with the warden at our 09/07 meeting. We hope to have an update for you then.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Inmate Family Council

UPDATE ON NEW METAL DETECTOR:

The new metal detector has been tuned down some and seems to be less vocal now. Also, we had an emergency meeting with the warden last Saturday to discuss this issue and he expressed his wish to see that after being hand wanded, visitors be allowed to proceed to visit rather than asked to go change or sent away. Of course this applies only if you triggered the metal detector because of a simple clothing issue such as a zipper, bra hooks etc. Note that underwire bras remain prohibited so don't wear them!

We hope that the warden will be able to get the word to his officers promptly so that thsi coming week-end visits go much smoother.

YOUR INMATE FAMILY COUNCIL IS ALWAYS HARD AT WORK FOR YOU!

Help us help you by providing your feedback.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IFC-LAC For This Useful Post:
ABRAGG77 (12-31-2014)
Old 09-17-2013, 10:30 PM

Can anyone help.. my boyfriend is finally coming home next week.. does anyone know what the process is for picking him up or what time they will release him? A few weeks ago a guard at the gate said to just park outside in the car line and wait for him to come out. Does anyone know if this is how it works? Please help!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Inmate Family Council

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie5john View Post
Can anyone help.. my boyfriend is finally coming home next week.. does anyone know what the process is for picking him up or what time they will release him? A few weeks ago a guard at the gate said to just park outside in the car line and wait for him to come out. Does anyone know if this is how it works? Please help!
Regrettably I don't know right off the bat how it works and with this short notice, I may not be able to find out... But I will try to ask visiting staff this week-end, they probably have a good idea of the process.

I can however confirm that I have seen people parked outside the prison gate, waiting for inmates coming out, more than once. So that part I think is correct. I am also told that it is hard to predict how long the wait is. So be prepared to wait for a long time (bring food, water, reading material, laptop with DVD player etc, make sure to have a full tank of gas so you can run the engine and AC, etc etc). You might be there for hours. But as I said i will try to ask this week-end for more info and will post it here as soon as I have some more info for you.

GOOD LUCK!! You must be very excited. For many of us, that day is still far far away... I am excited and happy for you!! Best wishes for the both of you!

Old 09-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Inmate Family Council

Quote:
OK, here are your answers:

ON the date of release, present yourself at the gate a tad before 8AM and park (as they instructed you to) outside the gate, facing out, as though you were driving out of the prison. Park to the side so to not block traffic.

They have no way of predicting exactly what time your man will be released. It varies depending on the number of Parolees that day. However it should not be earlier than 8AM nor later then noon or so.

So basically, plan to be there all morning, to be on the safe side, and bring what you need to keep entertained, hydrated and fed. As I said, make sure you have a full tank of gas in case you need to run your engine to run the AC. Although this week is much cooler temps wise, so you are in luck!!

There are porta poties right there so you are covered on that end of things.

As you can see, this is a waiting game. More than likely you will see your man walk out that gate within a few hours, it is rare that they take longer than 3 hours or so, but could happen.

GOODLUCK!!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:33 PM

Thank you very much for all ur help. The wait wasn't so bad.. the prison was nice enough to call me at 730 to ask if I was on my way to pick up my love.. I got there at 8 and parked on the side of the street in front of the guard station just past the sign that says no inmates within this sign... hey brought him out at about 845 so the wait was not that long. I hope this help anyone picking someone up.. I feel so blessed after two yrs he's finally home. Thanks to everyone for sharing their post.. this place has really been such a great place to help cope with this prison lifestyle. . Its so great to know ur not alone going through all thos stuff. Thanks to everyone who makes this site possible. . ♥
The Following User Says Thank You to maggie5john For This Useful Post:
Rommie (01-06-2015)
Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Inmate Family Council

Quote:
Thank you very much for all ur help. The wait wasn't so bad.. the prison was nice enough to call me at 730 to ask if I was on my way to pick up my love.. I got there at 8 and parked on the side of the street in front of the guard station just past the sign that says no inmates within this sign... hey brought him out at about 845 so the wait was not that long. I hope this help anyone picking someone up.. I feel so blessed after two yrs he's finally home. Thanks to everyone for sharing their post.. this place has really been such a great place to help cope with this prison lifestyle. . Its so great to know ur not alone going through all thos stuff. Thanks to everyone who makes this site possible. . ♥
Congratulation to both of you on his release. Glad the wait was minimal. As visiting staff told me, it can however vary greatly from day to day.

Now it's imperative to ease him back into "normal life" and make sure he stays focused on his rehabilitation. Lines up a job, place to live, stays clean (if that applies to him), doesn't violate his parole (if parole there is) etc etc. Luckily for him he has someone who loves him, who waited for him. He doesn't want to become one of the statistics and EVER go back in there. So many do, go back, within 2 years.

Keep us posted on his progress! And best of luck and blessings to you both.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 PM

Hi, i am new to the forum, my husband was transferred to Lancaster from Corcoran.
I can not get a vpass appt, so i was just planning on driving up. I am confused about parking and waiting for prison to open for visiting hours. I have read dozens of posts but i am confused, do i just arrive at like 530am and wait and hope im the first vehicle? Then what happens? Not having an appointment is very unnerving to me. I think i got eveything else down, clothes, money, etc...if anyone can explain what i do since i don't have an appt, id greatly appreciate it. Also if any one has questions about Corcoran, i can try and answer them the best i can.
Thank you
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Teenage LOVE Turned Solid

Smile Visiting 1/18-1/19

CONTACT VISITS
For the weekend of Sat 1/18/2014 and Sun 1/19/2014,There will be no visitng for inmates on Facility C All other inmates will be afforded visiting according to their regular visiting status.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:13 PM

Hello. I am going to visit my fiancť for the first time next month...BUT I have an out of state ID (NV), and when I was approved for visits years ago I was a California resident. Will this prevent me from visiting him?

Also...I would like to know if being an out of state resident, as well a first time visitor at LAC do I have to schedule a visit via VPASS (on the CDCR website)? Or do I just go to the Prison Saturday and Sunday without a scheduled visit?

Last but not least...could I visit him 2 days in a row (Saturday/Sunday)?

Thank you in advance for the answers
Old 09-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Wife of Inmate

Default My first visit tomorrow

Hello, I have a ton of questions and I've been scrolling through the treads and I'm finding old info and some really good questions in the past that were asked by people and didn't get answered. Tomorrow is my first time going to visit in state prison, I've only visited him in county.

1. I have a good grip on what not to wear (everything I own), any pointers on what's good to wear?

2. I'm driving a friends car up and she couldn't find the insurance on the car but it is insured. I read that to park in the prison we need to show insurance & registration, is that true? I also read that if you don't have that you can park on the side of the prison, is that easy to find?

3. I read we have to show ID and SSI card, do they really ask for the SSI card?

4. I've found conflicting readings about sandals, can you or can't you?

5. Last. If my appointment is at 9:30am, what time should I be there? Is there someone that'll direct you where to go?

Thank you sooooooo much. You can PM me if you like.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 AM

I hope your visit went well, I see I am a little late to respond to your questions. I know the first time I went up there I was so nervous but the women were extremely helpful. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions, I know this board seems kinda like a ghost town.... hoping others will pop up as well. Just in case there's any others trolling around I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge, hopefully it will help some one else out.

1. I try and stick with maxi skirts and a looser fitting top (I'm always afraid they'll say my pants are to tight on the butt lol)

2. I'm not sure they just asked me for my DL and that was it.

3. I've only had to show ID and a birth certificate if your taking your kids.

4. From what I've seen they usually let you get in if they have a strap on the back. BUT I've also seen them turn away some one with a strap on the back ( I think the guard lady was having one of those days and felt like being extra finicky) I don't take the chance, I wear heels.

5. I try and get there an hour before my appointment time. But it usually takes me that long to refresh my makeup, make a bathroom trip, and get everything settled. Plus they never made me wait around for the exact time.

5 cont. There is a guard in front that will direct you where to go, BUT he totally gave me the wrong slip to fill out and sent me to the wrong area on my first visit lol. There is a friends outside trailer in the parking lot, you cant miss it, they are SO helpful and will guide you and answer any questions you may have.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 PM

Default First time visitors, a few questions...

Well, I just found out that I'm approved to visit my friend (yay!). I won't be able to go for a couple weeks, so I have time to figure out what the heck I'm going to wear since they're so restrictive, but I had a few questions:

1. I know you can't wear anything sleeveless, but what if you're wearing a sweater on top the whole time? Will they allow it then, or is that still a no-no?

2. Can solid (non sheer or see-thru) leggings be worn underneath a dress/skirt that's more than 2 inches above the knee?

3. When I first go in, will my friend already be there, or will he be brought into the visiting area after I'm already there?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Default Regarding items

Hello everyone, Im new! I think I get the overall idea of the dresscode but I was wondering if its ok to bring a small clutch to carry my money and coins in? Thank you
Old 10-26-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breenuh View Post
Hello everyone, Im new! I think I get the overall idea of the dresscode but I was wondering if its ok to bring a small clutch to carry my money and coins in? Thank you
Yes as long as its see through. I take a small see through makeup bag that I got from Walmart for about $10. Its always worked fine.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:04 AM

Default I got Denied :(

So about 2-3 weeks ago I fill out 2 different applications for 2 different inmates at 2 different prisons.This morning I got news of a approval at Kern Valley for a friend of mine,later in the day I go get my mail and I receive a denial from Lancaster for my BROTHER....I filled out both applications the same way and included a DOJ report in both.I guess the next step is wriing the Warden?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:37 PM

Default Disapproved :(

So last month I did a application for my brother at LAC Lancaster and was disapproved.The same day I mailed in a application for a friend at Kern Valley and got approve.Im so disappointed and shocked how this happened.I sent in a DOJ report with both.I never been on parole or probation. And LAC reasons for disapproval were,#1They wanted to know what happen to case when I got arrest in 2005(for some reason it didn't say on the DOJ report)but it was a DA reject.And #2 they say I didn't list all my arrest,(But again I sent in the Full DOJ report),and both applications I fill out the exact same way.So I wrote the warden and waiting for a reply...
Old 02-19-2015, 02:27 PM

Hello Everyone,

This weekend is my first visit at LAC - I am assuming that the dress code is still just like any of the other CA prisons? Are there any specifics or parking instructions or check in instructions that I should be aware of? Also - what time are walk-ins? I have an apt for Saturday but not Sunday. Anything you can tell me would be more than helpful!

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:17 PM

Default visiting after cancellation

Hello ladies,

please help me out here, we were terminated in June 2014 for six months I couldn't see my hb, because he touched my knee Anyway, he sent me a new visiting form, I sent it back in December 2014, but so far he hasn't heard anything about me being approved of visiting... I've visited for 7 years, never had to go through this, has any of you have an idea what I should do? Please help me out, dutchtreat
Old 03-17-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchtreat1 View Post
Hello ladies,

please help me out here, we were terminated in June 2014 for six months I couldn't see my hb, because he touched my knee Anyway, he sent me a new visiting form, I sent it back in December 2014, but so far he hasn't heard anything about me being approved of visiting... I've visited for 7 years, never had to go through this, has any of you have an idea what I should do? Please help me out, dutchtreat

Hello! Try writing to the Warden or calling the warden's assistant. If you cannot get through that way, I would call the Ombudsman for LAC. Hope this helps!!
Old 04-07-2015, 12:08 PM

Are we going to have a new thread for 2015 Family Visiting? or do we post here? Or do we post in the old 2013-2014 Family Visiting thread?
Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryder View Post
Are we going to have a new thread for 2015 Family Visiting? or do we post here? Or do we post in the old 2013-2014 Family Visiting thread?
Right! My husband might be on his way over here and I'm trying to get as much info as possible lol But it seems kinda dead in here womp womp
Old 04-30-2015, 11:00 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue310 View Post
Right! My husband might be on his way over here and I'm trying to get as much info as possible lol But it seems kinda dead in here womp womp
I'm right there with you! My husband will be transferred there some time next week. Came over to try & get some info and ........crickets!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 PM

So this is my first time visiting this weekend. I'm so nervous about seeing him after 5 long years! I did make an appointment but not sure exactly how it works. ANY info would be so helpful!! As far as dress code, so no under wire. That sucks, as I'm pretty heavy-set up top. Anyone that can suggest outfits/colors? I don't want to have to go back to my car and change. I'm terrified of visiting prison, so if anyone is up there at 1:30 this Saturday, a friend would be more than welcomed! Thank you so much ladies!!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybay818 View Post
So this is my first time visiting this weekend. I'm so nervous about seeing him after 5 long years! I did make an appointment but not sure exactly how it works. ANY info would be so helpful!! As far as dress code, so no under wire. That sucks, as I'm pretty heavy-set up top. Anyone that can suggest outfits/colors? I don't want to have to go back to my car and change. I'm terrified of visiting prison, so if anyone is up there at 1:30 this Saturday, a friend would be more than welcomed! Thank you so much ladies!!
I just had my first visit at Lancaster last weekend....although not my first prison visit with my husband. You're appointment is at 1:30, you should get there at like 1230. Apparently there's at least an hour wait, so getting there at 1230 should get you in around your appt time. As far as dress....this place seems less strict than where we came from. But you're safe with anything except for blues, browns, & oranges. You can never go wrong with black. And of course nothing too tight, form fitting, too low cut, skirts can't be more than 2 inches above the knee......
Closed Thread