Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Pennsylvania.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:48 PM

Default Separation in state

I my fiancé is in county right now and will be heading to Camp Hill for classification. I know he could possibly by transferred again to his home prison. I was wondering do they separate inmate by types of crime, at Camp Hill and other state prisons.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui92 View Post
I my fiancé is in county right now and will be heading to Camp Hill for classification. I know he could possibly by transferred again to his home prison. I was wondering do they separate inmate by types of crime, at Camp Hill and other state prisons.
He will more than likely go from county to Graterford first where he will be assigned his state number etc, from there (a few weeks or more) he will then go to Camp Hill for classification. When first getting there will more than likely be held in medical quarantine for about one week then put on a block with others to be classified. About 4 to 8 weeks later (sometimes less sometimes more depending on the inmate's situation) will be sent to his home prison and spend his time there.

As far as separating inmates by types of crimes is not usually done unless there are special circumstances related to that individual maybe holding him in segregation due to the fact that his crime was very well publicized and it is for his safety he is held in solitary or administrative housing unit.

State prisons really don't have the room to keep all inmates separate according to their crimes. That is basically what classification is all about. They grade the inmate from 2 to 5 security level. 2 being the least and 5 the most secure facility. So if he is classified as level 3 he will be sent to a level 3 facility where other level 3 inmates will be spending their sentence.

I would suggest you read up on the forums for more general information which will help you understand how the system works. I can see this is your first post so you more than likely have many questions.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,149 Posts

Hi. I sense that your concern for separation is based on something or someone specific. You can PM me about that if you wish.

County jail inmates pass through one of three intake centers as they go into the DOC: Graterford (EAST), Greene (WEST) and directly to Camp Hill (CENTRAL). So Camp hill could be the second stop.

Segregation based on the crime is actually not allowed unless it can be demonstrated as necessary to protect the individual or other inmates. (Capital cases being the exception, of course.) Within 24 hours of reception, each inmate is assessed for vulnerability or predatory risk, and those are used to determine any immediate housing concerns. The algorithm for assessing vulnerability is too long to post here, but it takes into account age, physical size, type of crime, etc.

All in all, the environment at both GFRD and Camp Hill is far better than any county jail I've ever toured. (I can't speak to SCI Greene yet; it just became the intake point for the Western region and I haven't seen the designated units.) It's a bit like going from a junior high to a high school -- a bit less "juvenile". County jails are almost comical in the way the inmates tend to behave, whereas state prisoners tend to settle down and act more like adults.

Camp Hill's classification unit is their "R" unit. It's very new and modern looking, and it's totally self-contained. The inmates are screened before they even get to their cells. I always counsel prisoners to be open and honest about their concerns so that the staff can take appropriate steps. Obviously, the intake staff knows about the crime, so there's no reason to withhold concerns from them.

Again, if you wish to discuss this privately, feel free to send me a PM.

Bob
Coqui92 (04-23-2017), Thequeensusan (04-25-2017), waitinguntil001 (04-23-2017)