Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:23 PM

So today the nice CO worked so I asked what milk is allowed and he said cow milk isn’t allowed only formula.. That’s just crazy to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-09-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,001 Times in 15,965 Posts

So I guess then in the other units they sell formula? (Im kidding here)
I mean if milk isnt allowed.....
I wonder why they dont include milk in that unit. Very odd.
Unless there is not any demand for it and it goes bad, but still. Seems there are always kids in the visit rooms who might drink milk. Def better than soda.

Hopefully things will get better for your baby and she eats things other than dairy.
I cant recall what they had in the vending machines at my hubs place but none of what I remember is food a child would eat. Or maybe I should say SHOULD eat.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 02-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
So I guess then in the other units they sell formula? (Im kidding here)
I mean if milk isnt allowed.....
I wonder why they dont include milk in that unit. Very odd.
Unless there is not any demand for it and it goes bad, but still. Seems there are always kids in the visit rooms who might drink milk. Def better than soda.

Hopefully things will get better for your baby and she eats things other than dairy.
I cant recall what they had in the vending machines at my hubs place but none of what I remember is food a child would eat. Or maybe I should say SHOULD eat.
I asked him why and he simply said he didnít know cause I brought up they had milk in the other unit. Itís the same vendor guy too.
I thought about the milk going bad thing too but it actually went fast. The inmates would be drinking it. I would think they donít get good milk inside.
Yes, most of it she wonít eat and I just refuse to feed my child a bunch of sugar. The only friendly things right now are fried rice, popcorn and beef jerky.. thatís if itís in stock.

Ughh. Iím about to take her for a 3 day weekend next week and Iím so nervous.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:42 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,206 Times in 1,670 Posts

I got the impression over the years from doing time and all (18 years in Texas) that visitation in general does not really sit well with most guards on average. It’s difficult to see the other side of the picture when a family member, a friend, a spouse with small children or someone’s fiancťe shows up on the weekend. From a guard’s perspective they are forced to see the emotional content of what prison entails concerning people like you, most of whom are women. Where children are concerned, it cuts to the bone in a way that clearly shows that it doesn’t make any difference who’s the guard, who’s the visitor and who’s the prisoner. Children are children and they in particular have a way of penetrating through the toughest of attitudes and macho man-ism, don’t they? There’s something about the combination of innocence, youth and being vulnerable as most children are, that put’s the gung ho part of being a correctional officer in check. This is one of the reasons why you come across C.O.s that are abrasive or hard to get along with, in my opinion. Running chow, taking count, handing out mail, doing a shake down, breaking up confrontations, keeping an eye on the bad apples, working in the picket, writing cases, overseeing a department on of them is assigned to…..yeah, that’s the “what I expected to when I became a correctional officer”, but visitation? That’s not something that most of them envisioned or the problems experienced that come along in the psychological sense from the get go.
Even though, I’ve always been on the other side of the equation as someone that one of you came to visit, I can recall some moments that were very heartfelt at visitation and while they were real, I wish I had not experienced or felt them. You see things and feel things at visitation that hurt and not only to do with me or those that came to see me, but other families and other men, as well. Even though, visitation is a good thing overall, it’s powerful in an emotional way…….sometimes too powerful.
And then, you’ve always got something else to contend with that keeps the average guard on edge a bit at visitation……those that come to visit with more on their mind than just saying hello. Smuggling in contraband (drugs, money, weapons, tobacco, etc.) and sometimes, it’s not easy for a guard to keep it together when visitation turns out to be way beyond that.
Same thing goes with couples that can’t keep their hands off of each other. It puts a C.O. in position they don’t want to be in when they have to say “hey, knock it off” or “I’m sorry, you’ll have to leave” and/or “you lost your visitation privileges because of this or that”.
I can remember more than correctional officer admitting that they didn’t like working visitation on the weekends and I can understand why to some degree. Once they’ve began working visitation, it may be that the attitude of a “hard ass” is the only way they can cope with what they feel uncomfortable or uneasy about in the presence of the voices of little children, tear stained cheeks and the look of sadness, loneliness and heartache across the faces of hundreds if not thousands. Just food for thought.
Shelby67 (02-15-2020)