Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:22 PM

Default Dropped off to self surrender, now what?

I have read hours and hours of thread and am freaked out. I figured I can ask and if there is already an existing thread with more recent information someone could direct me to it.

I dropped off my LO yesterday to self surrender at Lompoc to start serving a pretty long sentence - 7 years. He is supposed to be at camp. I checked the BOP inmate locator and his location says USP Lompoc - it is the naming for the facility but I cannot know for sure until I hear from him if he actually ended up at camp or the medium.

I haven't heard from him and I feel sick to my stomach worrying. How long does it typically take for them to allow him to call? If not me, one of his kids? We are all listed on the PSR (not by name I don't think) but our relationship to him.

I wrote a letter and wanted to mail it off to him and sign him up for subscriptions but don't want him to get in trouble.

I know most of this is probably stemming from nerves but I can't help but worry. Worry about him now and worry about the next step of this journey.

Any one with recent experience with this is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2020, 07:31 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecapulo View Post
I have read hours and hours of thread and am freaked out. I figured I can ask and if there is already an existing thread with more recent information someone could direct me to it.

I dropped off my LO yesterday to self surrender at Lompoc to start serving a pretty long sentence - 7 years. He is supposed to be at camp. I checked the BOP inmate locator and his location says USP Lompoc - it is the naming for the facility but I cannot know for sure until I hear from him if he actually ended up at camp or the medium.

I haven't heard from him and I feel sick to my stomach worrying. How long does it typically take for them to allow him to call? If not me, one of his kids? We are all listed on the PSR (not by name I don't think) but our relationship to him.

I wrote a letter and wanted to mail it off to him and sign him up for subscriptions but don't want him to get in trouble.

I know most of this is probably stemming from nerves but I can't help but worry. Worry about him now and worry about the next step of this journey.

Give it 3-5 days for him to have his phone account set up. In the BOP, they have what they call as TRULINCS, which is their version of a secure communications system. He has to see his case manager first, probably on Monday or Tuesday, then things will get rolling.

I know it's difficult, but try to relax. I did 4 years myself at an FCI. I've been home almost 3 years now, and I'm an engineer by trade. Not someone you'd normally associate with being a "criminal" or having a "criminal mindset". So many stereotypes out there that keep people ignorant.

Try to relax and give it till later this week.
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
Lesliezack (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 07:36 PM
a Realist NOT an enabler!

Quote:

If he was to go to the camp....thatís where he is.. the BOP website does not designate ĒcampĒ. My LO is at the camp, it shows USP. ❤️
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lesliezack For This Useful Post:
ej6493 (02-08-2020), fbopnomore (02-09-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1927 View Post
Give it 3-5 days for him to have his phone account set up. In the BOP, they have what they call as TRULINCS, which is their version of a secure communications system. He has to see his case manager first, probably on Monday or Tuesday, then things will get rolling.

I know it's difficult, but try to relax. I did 4 years myself at an FCI. I've been home almost 3 years now, and I'm an engineer by trade. Not someone you'd normally associate with being a "criminal" or having a "criminal mindset". So many stereotypes out there that keep people ignorant.

Try to relax and give it till later this week.

Thank you! I will keep fingers crossed and just try to stay busy.

I agree about the stereo types. Most people I have come to talk to about this are all pretty good human beings. Good people make poor choices all the time. I hate that it’s taking away years from him like this

Last edited by ej6493; 02-08-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Old 02-08-2020, 08:42 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Thank you! I will keep fingers crossed and just try to stay busy.

I agree about the stereo types. Most people I have come to talk to about this are all pretty good human beings. Good people make poor choices all the time. I hate that itís taking away years from him like this

I understand completely. I myself am an SO. Possession of CP (41 images). That was the only charge. My story is on other threads here, so I'm not going to regurgitate. I know what it is now to spend time in the system and how much the system does NOT want anyone to be successful post-incarceration, especially SOs. I've had to start my own technical services business from scratch, and it is a slow climb out of the hole, especially now being in my 50s. I HOPE to be able to retire in 20 years. Do I blame others for my sentence - NO. I put myself in this position and I hurt family, friends, and especially those who are most vulnerable by viewing their images of abuse. That is my crime and I live with it everyday. However, our legal system continually lies to the American public by making claims that they are "protecting" others through excessive incarceration, and especially through ridiculously long probation periods (mine is 10 years) and the asinine registry - which prevents NO crime from being committed. In fact, registries do nothing but make it easier for society to discriminate against ex-felons, and in some cases, ENCOURAGE people to commit crime in the name of retribution against ex-felons.

I could go on and on. However, back to your worries. Take one day at a time. I myself was suicidal almost 9 years ago. However, I knew intuitively back then that there IS a way through everything, and that life WILL be better at some point. It is difficult, but it is doable. My relationship with the Lord is the ultimate and true relationship that I depend on for each day. He gets me through, and I put my trust in Him for the future. Ultimately, none of us is promised tomorrow. We need to let things go and be appreciative each day for the blessings we have now.

I wish you and your loved one much success and patience through the upcoming years. You are not alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
Dirty Hippie (02-12-2020), ej6493 (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 06:17 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,327 Times in 13,402 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Being allowed to self surrender lowered his custody score, making it more likely that he is designated to the minimum security camp. I hope you hear from him soon.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:59 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. Being allowed to self surrender lowered his custody score, making it more likely that he is designated to the minimum security camp. I hope you hear from him soon.

FYI - John Kiriakou ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kiriakou ) was in my unit (Central One) at Loretto FCI. He was a self-surrender and was told he'd be at the camp. However, Grand Prairie had different ideas from everyone else. They put him inside the wires in the low. Staff there screwed with him on a daily basis.
fbopnomore (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,327 Times in 13,402 Posts

Loretto also does whatever it wants about designations. In one of the worst mass incarceration messes I ever encountered anywhere, a 50 year old Pennsylvania farmer was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison for polluting a stream on his property. A farmhand had breached a retaining wall around an animal (pig) waste holding tank during a tractor accident and even though the farm met every environmental requirement, and the farmer was nowhere near the actual accident, he was convicted of a felony in US District Court.

The Grand Prairie TX designation office assigned him to the Loretto camp, but upon arrival he was assigned to the FCI Low security prison and told he had to complete 6 months, without a conduct violation before the staff would move him to the camp. After continuous trouble with one of Loretto's thug gangs that got the farmer sent to the hole 3 times, he was finally able to exert enough external pressure, including from his local news station, that he was moved where he should have been from the beginning (although I will never believe that a felony prison sentence was ever appropriate).

Loretto's good old boys routinely placed at risk prisoners in harms way.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:02 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Loretto also does whatever it wants about designations. In one of the worst mass incarceration messes I ever encountered anywhere, a 50 year old Pennsylvania farmer was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison for polluting a stream on his property. A farmhand had breached a retaining wall around an animal (pig) waste holding tank during a tractor accident and even though the farm met every environmental requirement, and the farmer was nowhere near the actual accident, he was convicted of a felony in US District Court.

The Grand Prairie TX designation office assigned him to the Loretto camp, but upon arrival he was assigned to the FCI Low security prison and told he had to complete 6 months, without a conduct violation before the staff would move him to the camp. After continuous trouble with one of Loretto's thug gangs that got the farmer sent to the hole 3 times, he was finally able to exert enough external pressure, including from his local news station, that he was moved where he should have been from the beginning (although I will never believe that a felony prison sentence was ever appropriate).

Loretto's good old boys routinely placed at risk prisoners in harms way.

That fact doesn't surprise me at all. They aren't called hilljacks for nothing. Half of Cambria County is related to each other it seems from all the family members that worked at Loretto. Going into Loretto, I wasn't an angry person at my country. Coming out of there, I was. Watching how the staff treated prisoners...
fbopnomore (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:40 PM

I wanted to update on here in case someone needs some reassurance down the road. This forum has helped me tremendously.

I finally heard from him today around noon! I got a call and the invite to corrlinks right around the same time. Make sure your phone (iPhone) is set to allow unknown calls to go through cause otherwise it goes straight to voicemail

It was very emotional and we only had the 15 minutes. But we talked twice already and I confirmed that the rest of the immediate family got the invite to email too.

They did keep him in the medium Friday and Saturday which makes me sad but because something happened at the camp and they had to shut down half of it? Not sure
Anyways he got to camp last night and some guys already kind of showed him around. He said the group of guys there are all mostly really nice, there are some that are a little bit caught up in some of the stuff over there - mostly the younger folks I guess. But he had some kind people come up to him and check in on him.

He also said it was really cold and all they gave him was a sheet at first. He didn’t have access to his commissary or out until yesterday for that matter so he got some thermals and some stuff to keep in his locker but he has to buy the blanket and pillows from like the inmate run commissary I guess?

Waiting to hear from him again but I feel a lot better. We’ve been able to exchange emails and calls today and not just with me but his kids too so that is very promising.

Thanks to all that contribute here. My weekend of anxiety can finally be put to rest. I’m sure the journey will be trying but this is time I get to start putting in the past.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ej6493 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-11-2020), Girl22472 (02-11-2020), Lesliezack (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:35 PM
Donation Award 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej6493 View Post
I wanted to update on here in case someone needs some reassurance down the road. This forum has helped me tremendously.

I finally heard from him today around noon! I got a call and the invite to corrlinks right around the same time. Make sure your phone (iPhone) is set to allow unknown calls to go through cause otherwise it goes straight to voicemail

It was very emotional and we only had the 15 minutes. But we talked twice already and I confirmed that the rest of the immediate family got the invite to email too.

They did keep him in the medium Friday and Saturday which makes me sad but because something happened at the camp and they had to shut down half of it? Not sure
Anyways he got to camp last night and some guys already kind of showed him around. He said the group of guys there are all mostly really nice, there are some that are a little bit caught up in some of the stuff over there - mostly the younger folks I guess. But he had some kind people come up to him and check in on him.

He also said it was really cold and all they gave him was a sheet at first. He didnít have access to his commissary or out until yesterday for that matter so he got some thermals and some stuff to keep in his locker but he has to buy the blanket and pillows from like the inmate run commissary I guess?

Waiting to hear from him again but I feel a lot better. Weíve been able to exchange emails and calls today and not just with me but his kids too so that is very promising.

Thanks to all that contribute here. My weekend of anxiety can finally be put to rest. Iím sure the journey will be trying but this is time I get to start putting in the past.

Glad everything is looking up for all of you. Glad those here on PrisonTalk who have been through the system can be of calming reassurance to you and others.
fbopnomore (02-12-2020)