Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Always keep your promises
Donation Award 

Unhappy Major Michael Baxter, out on bail pending appeal

For any of you who have been following this story, 3 years ago my fiancée (now husband) was brutally beaten the morning we were to be married because he’s black and I’m white. Major Michael J Baxter from Apalachee Correctional Institute led the assault. In January he was convicted of falsifying records, in April he was sentenced to five years in Federal Prison. He was acquitted of the assault charge because the jurors didn’t understand the instructions. Now he is appealing and last week was released on bail pending appeal. If he wins this appeal then he will be granted a new trial. In April the Honorable Judge Hinkle informed Baxter that if he was granted a new trial he would very likely be found guilty of both counts the second time around. So maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

http://www.newsherald.com/news/20180...m-in-louisiana

There are more stories published by the Panama City News Herald if you care to search including my interview.
GingerM (06-25-2019), miamac (07-12-2019), patchouli (06-25-2019), Sarianna (07-10-2018), tampa77 (07-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2018, 05:07 PM

I am so sorry to hear of this brutality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
jencrys (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 07:17 PM

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,600 Posts

I just listened to your acct. I'm so sorry and God bless you and your husband.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
jencrys (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:09 PM

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,799 Posts

How horrible I hope he gets sentenced to the max amount of time!
Old 06-24-2019, 10:26 PM

Hi, have you heard anything further regarding Baxter's appeal? I had a similar encounter with Baxter about 19 years ago when he was a Sergeant at Jackson Correctional Institution. Baxter is a piece of trash and I sincerely hope that he gets what he deserves in court.
The Following User Says Thank You to tampa77 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (06-25-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa77 View Post
Hi, have you heard anything further regarding Baxter's appeal? I had a similar encounter with Baxter about 19 years ago when he was a Sergeant at Jackson Correctional Institution. Baxter is a piece of trash and I sincerely hope that he gets what he deserves in court.
looks like he lost his appeal but he is still a free man? https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...019-06-13.html
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs4lifey For This Useful Post:
tampa77 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,841 Times in 3,084 Posts

He's not a free man. The appellate court upheld the district court's sentencing and found no errors with the original trial.

He won't be getting more time, but he's still got to finish out his 60 months + 3 months for the original conviction, and the time he spent out on bail will not count towards his sentence. He'll get to be on the other side of the cell door for a few years.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
tampa77 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 02:34 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,091 Times in 12,759 Posts

It sounds like he is a candidate for the bop's idea of protective custody, which is actually disciplinary segregation. I can't think of a more despicable criminal than someone who physically beat prisoners under their control (while being sure he was accompanied by an overwhelming number of co-conspirators). I hope he doesn't have enough outside, or inside the bop political support to cause the bop to designate him to a prison where he could exist in general population.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It sounds like he is a candidate for the bop's idea of protective custody, which is actually disciplinary segregation. I can't think of a more despicable criminal than someone who physically beat prisoners under their control (while being sure he was accompanied by an overwhelming number of co-conspirators). I hope he doesn't have enough outside, or inside the bop political support to cause the bop to designate him to a prison where he could exist in general population.

The irony of Baxter potentially being placed in segregation is that it puts him into a "shoe on the other foot" type of situation. At Jackson Correctional in the late 90's and early 2000's, Baxter was part of the Disciplinary Panel that basically acted as a mock court to hear Disciplinary Reports against inmates. Baxter was a common visitor to the confinement wing and was notorious for the use of pepper spray gas on handcuffed inmates and the use of physical violence against handcuffed inmates. Baxter was and is an absolute coward that is finally getting a taste of what he deserves. I sincerely hope that Baxter serves his time in a place where he lives in a state of fear from the guards and the other inmates. I'm truly not a negative person and dont generally wish negativity upon others, but Baxter is honestly the exception to that rule for me. But, you know, Inmate Baxter has a nice ring to it....:-)
fbopnomore (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,091 Times in 12,759 Posts

Maybe the bop COs will be incensed because the "major" gave all COs the reputation of being brutal, merciless assholes, and will treat him accordingly. It only takes one time surviving being handcuffed to a chair during a group beat down/pepper spray/taser assault to never forget the perpetrators, and to hope that there really is something ahead for them called karma.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 07-13-2019 at 04:43 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
tampa77 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:41 AM

I completely agree with you. I feel confident that a little karma will find it's way to Inmate Baxter.

I'm really thankful that the OP of this thread stood up for her husband and that Baxter's secretary had the good conscience to tell the truth about the incident. What happened to the OP's husband is completely terrible, and I'm happy that he survived. The bad thing about it is that this type of abuse is fairly commonplace, and getting any type of justice is very rare. So, Baxter going to prison is a really big deal. Even if he deserves so much more, at least there is some sense of justice being exhibited here.
fbopnomore (07-19-2019)